Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pre-season Game 1...RAMS vs. Chicago

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
2105 yards

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Pre-season Game 1...RAMS vs. Chicago Reply with quote

Post any thoughts you have on the Rams first pre-season game, a 17-13 victory over the Chicago Bears.

Last edited by 2105 yards on Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
2105 yards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/50242/

some post game analysis.....
aheineken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get to watch the game until 9 am tomarrow...err...today. That's 6 hours, i'd better get to bed.
Southern Miss Golden Eagles
Akron Zips
aheineken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got up in time to watch the game this morning on NFL Network.

Final Score: Rams 17 Bears 13

Now for an analysis, I'll start off with defense.

The first team defense looked very good against the run. Claiborne's going to be a big player for the defense this year.

Bartell and Ivy impressed me some in the secondary. Ivy made a great adjustment to pick off a tipped pass, while Bartell, not doing anything spectacular, was solid in coverage and run support. The two rookie safeties (Atogwe and Carter) also looked pretty good.

Jimmy Kennedy and Tony Hargrove looked good, which I expected after watching them in camp.

Brandon Green (#93 I think) also looked good against the Bears reserves line. I think he had 2 sacks on the same drive. But the guy he was going against was pretty horrible.

As for the offense.

The first team line looked shaky without Pace anchoring it down, but Willig did an okay job for only being on the squad for a few days. Claude Terrell was bulldozing people out of the way in the run game. I didn't really pay much attention to Rex Tucker on the right side, but Jackie Slater has some nice things to say about him in the first half.

Steven Jackson is going to be a beast this year. The first play of the game for the Rams, he blew threw the line flying right past Urlacher and Mike Brown into the secondary for a big gain.

Marc Bulger didn't look good. His reads were fine, but his aim was off. That one pick he threw, the reciever was open, he just over threw him by quite a bit. Same for Fitzpatrick, good reads, bad aim. Jamie Martin was a different story. He looked veyr good against the Bears' 2nd team defense. I think his performance today solidified him as the #2 QB.

Kevin Curtis looked good again as usual. Manumaleuna actually blocked some people today. I remember one play where he was lined up at H-back, and lit up a LB to allow one of the RBs to get into the open field. I hope Dante Ridgeway makes the team. He reminds me so much of Isaac Bruce, just a little bigger and a little slower. He's got tremendous hands and runs good routes.

For those of you who didn't see the game, you'll all be relieved to know that the kickoff and punt coverage was 100x better than last year. Ligashesky (sp) has done a great job with that unit. Hodges even looked pretty good too, although he didn't have to do much directional punting.

That's about it...I can't wait til next weekend.
Akron Zips
2105 yards

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aheineken wrote:
Well I got up in time to watch the game this morning on NFL Network.

Final Score: Rams 17 Bears 13

Now for an analysis, I'll start off with defense.

The first team defense looked very good against the run. Claiborne's going to be a big player for the defense this year.

Bartell and Ivy impressed me some in the secondary. Ivy made a great adjustment to pick off a tipped pass, while Bartell, not doing anything spectacular, was solid in coverage and run support. The two rookie safeties (Atogwe and Carter) also looked pretty good.

Jimmy Kennedy and Tony Hargrove looked good, which I expected after watching them in camp.

Brandon Green (#93 I think) also looked good against the Bears reserves line. I think he had 2 sacks on the same drive. But the guy he was going against was pretty horrible.

As for the offense.

The first team line looked shaky without Pace anchoring it down, but Willig did an okay job for only being on the squad for a few days. Claude Terrell was bulldozing people out of the way in the run game. I didn't really pay much attention to Rex Tucker on the right side, but Jackie Slater has some nice things to say about him in the first half.

Steven Jackson is going to be a beast this year. The first play of the game for the Rams, he blew threw the line flying right past Urlacher and Mike Brown into the secondary for a big gain.

Marc Bulger didn't look good. His reads were fine, but his aim was off. That one pick he threw, the reciever was open, he just over threw him by quite a bit. Same for Fitzpatrick, good reads, bad aim. Jamie Martin was a different story. He looked veyr good against the Bears' 2nd team defense. I think his performance today solidified him as the #2 QB.

Kevin Curtis looked good again as usual. Manumaleuna actually blocked some people today. I remember one play where he was lined up at H-back, and lit up a LB to allow one of the RBs to get into the open field. I hope Dante Ridgeway makes the team. He reminds me so much of Isaac Bruce, just a little bigger and a little slower. He's got tremendous hands and runs good routes.

For those of you who didn't see the game, you'll all be relieved to know that the kickoff and punt coverage was 100x better than last year. Ligashesky (sp) has done a great job with that unit. Hodges even looked pretty good too, although he didn't have to do much directional punting.

That's about it...I can't wait til next weekend.

excellent report aheineken!!!...i was especially relieved to see the kick coverage play so well...and hopefully Hodges can nail down the punting job which was a sore spot last year as well...now they'll go against a playoff team next week in San Diego...that'll be a bigger test I'm sure.
aheineken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. San Diego will be the real test. Their 2nd team QB (Rivers) is as good as most starters, so we'll get to see what the young secondary is made of. Michael Turner will also get alot of playing time. He had a good game Thursday, and I'm looking for him to test the run defense some more. SD's defense isn't much to fear, so hopefully Bulger can shake off some rush in the first quarter. I can't wait. I love the NFL Network.
Akron Zips
2105 yards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aheineken wrote:
I agree. San Diego will be the real test. Their 2nd team QB (Rivers) is as good as most starters, so we'll get to see what the young secondary is made of. Michael Turner will also get alot of playing time. He had a good game Thursday, and I'm looking for him to test the run defense some more. SD's defense isn't much to fear, so hopefully Bulger can shake off some rush in the first quarter. I can't wait. I love the NFL Network.

Yah NFL network is so great...I love how they go around to all the differnet games...although it sucks when they go off the game you rally want to watch to go to something else...but I guess they need to be fair and equal for fans of all teams...LT doesn't play much at all for the Chargers in the pre-season so we won't get to see the front 7 against him but I'll be interested to see if they can get in Drew Brees face at all, especially the first team unit.
Halradio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great analysis.

As far as Bulger and the first team offense goes, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Bulger more often than not, takes a bit to get into his groove and it didn't help that was up against Chicago's first team D with a patch work o-line.

What will be interesting to see is how long any of the first team starters will be playing in the wake of Grossman's injury.
aheineken

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Halradio wrote:
Great analysis.

As far as Bulger and the first team offense goes, I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Bulger more often than not, takes a bit to get into his groove and it didn't help that was up against Chicago's first team D with a patch work o-line.

What will be interesting to see is how long any of the first team starters will be playing in the wake of Grossman's injury.

You've got a point there. The Grossman thing is going to affect how every team in the league approaches the rest of their preseason games this year.
Akron Zips
MIkeMartZisMyIDLE

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i saw the game and i was pretty impresseed with the rams.

you do not have to worry about hte offense because we have seen bulger for hte apst 2 and a half years and its not like we have ot worry about him not being able to get it done on the field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: