Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

AFC South analysis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: AFC South analysis Reply with quote

I'm trying to do analysis pages for all 8 divisions, heres my AFC South page. i've already completed AFC North and East pages. feedback would be appreciated

Indianopolis Colts- 2004 season- 12-4, loss in divisional round
Head Coach: Tony Dungy

Can Air Peyton Fly Colts to Detroit?

The past two years, Tony Dungy has guided the Colts to a division title and a playoff rout of Denver (in 2003, an upset of KC as well), and both times the same thing ended Peyton Manning's quest for a ring: The New England Patriots. Last year Manning shattered Dan Marino's TD record and had one of the finest seasons ever by a QB. yet, when he went to snowy Foxboro to face the Patriots, who were missing their two starting cornerbacks, and were down to Asante Samuel and undrafted FA Randall Gay, he could only muster a lousy FG in a 20-3 loss. Is this the year Manning finally beats Brady. Or will we get another Sportscenter full of those head shots of a snowy, distraugh, puzzled Manning and the trademark Patriot victroy? For the Colts, its more about getting a better defense than the offense. On offense, the Colts are set as long as Edge returns. With Edge, Manning will keep the defense respecting the running game, even though anyone could run for 1000 yards in teh Colts offense. hell, even dominic rhodes did it a couple of years ago! With Edge running, and Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, Brandon Stokley, and TE Dallas Clark catching balls, the Colts offense will fire on all cylinders. Manning won't approach last years numbers now that cornerbacks have adjusted to the contact rules, but we can expect a 4000 yard, 30 TD performance. Marvin will catch around 90 balls for 1400 yards, Wayne will get 70 for 1200, and Stokley and Clark will combine for another 1200 or so. The Colts first round pick Marlin Jackson will figure in right away. personal problems stopped him from going even higher than the late first round, but jackson has a boatload of potential. Freeney and Mathis will get the sacks, expect Freeney to go to the pro bowl again. its the linebackers: Morris, Thornton, and June, who need to step it up this year. they need to make the run defense sturdy. Expect Bob Sanders to emerge as a star this year. The Colts will lose their opener to Baltimore, but won't lose again until-- you guessed it, Week 10 at Foxboro. Despite the loss, Peyton and the Colts still have the oppurtunity to clinch home field advantage in the playoffs, which would be crucial to beat the Patriots, but stunning home losses to the Titans and Chargers derail that

Projected Finish-12-4, AFC South Champions
Offensive MVP- Peyton Manning
Defensive MVP- Dwight Freeney
Breakout Player- Bob Sanders

Tennessee Titans- 2004 record- 5-11
Head Coach- Jeff Fisher

Underdog Titans Ready To Surprise Everyone

Yup, they are the Tennessee Titans. and i am picking them over jacksonville to finish second in the division? the team that lost mason, rolle, dyson, and carter? why? because i think jeff fisher is going to get his guys motivated after last years dissapointing 5-11 campaing, and the fact that eveyone is picking them to pick in the Top 3. This year though, they'll have MVP Steve McNair ready to play every week, and playmaker Tyrone Calico healthy. Him and Drew Bennett will form a very potent WR duo, and this team will score plenty of points with McNair, Chris Brown and Travis Henry in the backfield, and Bennett and the freakishly athletic Calico catching balls and Norm Chow calling the plays. I think they can work through their shaky offensive line, and so the real question is on defense. People will ask how this team's defense will improve w/ the losses of Rolle and Dyson, and Carter? For one thing, Kevin Carter had jsut 6 sacks last year, easily replaceable. And while Samari Rolle is healthy and ready to go for the Ravens, he was injured last year and has been a bit inconsistent the past couple of years. THe losses of Rolle and Dyson still hurt very much, but Pac Man Jones can help heal the pain. hes a playmaker on D, he'll be a fan favorite and a Pro Bowler in Nashville. Albert Haynesworth and Randy Starks are both young and extremely talented, and i think both of them will excel this year. Starks was playing so well at thend of the year, i think his success will carry on to this year and he'll make the Pro Bowl. Tank Williams is a top notch safety and IMO, keith bulluck is the best OLB in the NFL. So this defense will make enough stops to win some games. The Titans will start slowly, losing their first 4 games and 5 of their first 7, but a 5 game winning streak will put this team back in contention before tough losses to Houston and Jacksonville take them out of playoff contention. Still, a huge success and i think Jeff Fisher will warrant COY consideration.

Projected Finish: 9-7, 2nd in AFC South
Offensive MVP: Steve McNair
Defensive MVP: Keith Bulluck
Breakout Player: (Tie)Tyrone Calico and Randy Starks

Jacksonville Jaguars
head coach: Jack Del Rio

Playoffs or bust for Jags

[size=12]
Jack Del Rio has made stunning leaps in his first two years at Jacksonville, but now in his third year, his own success has put the pressure on him to make the playoffs. Can Byron and Co. do it? not this year. Byron Leftwich is still too inconsistent as a passer, and his recieveing corps isn't exaclty very strong. Aside from Jimmy Smith, noone has proved themselves. Reggie Williams slumped in his rookie year, and Matt Jones figures to do the same. He'll be primarily a red zone target, he'll probaly catch 5 TD passes, but only 20 passes in total. Del Rio needs Earnest Wilford and Williams to develop, and he needs to pray that Fred Taylor is healthy the entire year after they lost out on teh Travis Henry sweepstakes. I think Taylor will miss a couple of games, and Toefield and Greg Jones will not be able to provide the same kind of running game. it'll hurt the offense immensley. On defense, the line is stellar w/ Stroud and Hayward leading the way. Marcellus Wiley has also been signed by the Jags and the Cowboys bust will line up opposite Hayward. Rashean Mathis should become a household name, he looked impressive last year. You would think Donovan Darius would have alienated himself against his teammates after his public request, including in a Minnesota newspaper, to be traded to the Vikings. but his hard hitting style is staying in redneck florida. while this D is very good, its not good enough to win them games where the offense struggles. I'm expecting to see several defensive struggles go the opposite way, and the Jags will miss out on teh playoffs.

Projected Finish-8-8, 3rd in AFC South
Offensive MVP- Fred Taylor
Defensive MVP- Reggie Hayward
Breakout player- Rashean Mathis

Houston Texans- 2004 Record- 7-9
Head Coach: Dom Capers[/size]

[The Question for Texans Fans: Are we destined to be a .500 Team Every Year?

The Texans are still a very young team, but it is still extremely discouraging to watch a talented team like this one play so inconsistently. Some days, they're playing awesome, and some, like week 17 of last season, are just plain awful. in week 17, the 7-8 Texans lost to the 3-12 Browns. The Front office decided they needed to shore up the defense. they drafted travis johnson, who will be very good, but their other moves were very questionable. They traded to get Philip Buchanon, a highly overrated young CB. They also cut ties with stud LB Jamie Sharper, opting to overpay overrated Chiefs LB Morlon Greenwood. Dunta Robinson will be his usual awesome self, but the rest of the defense looks pretty ugly. Johnson and Robinson will likely be the only bright spots on that defense. Jason Babin, though, looks like he might join Robinson and Johnson on that list. I think hes in for a big year. maybe 8 to 10 sacks. on offense, the Texans almost traded for Orlando Pace, which would have been a great deal for them, and then they traded away the chance to draft Jamaal Brown or Alex Barron, so the Offensive line still looks like a weakness. Getting speedster Jerome Mathis in the 4th round was a steal, but it still looks like Andre Johnson will be the only consistent threat at WR. Domanick Davis and Vernand Morency should form a nice one two punch. David Carr will likely have another so so year, and Texan fans will be left trying to remember what it was like to win back to back games.
Projected Finish- 5-11, 4th in AFC South
Offensive MVP- Andre Johnson
Defensive MVP- Dunta Robinson
Breakout Player- Jason Babin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with the results, but it is a nicely done analysis!
texansfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also disagree with the results, because I think the texans will be at least 8-8. I think that we're going to have a better year than the Titans, whom I predict to finish at 5-11. The reason for this is exactly what you've stated in your analysis: The titans lost so many guys. You can't lose that many good players and just put other guys to fill holes and expect to win. Chris Brown and Steve Mcnair are injury prone, if they're healthy they may have a shot. Their D should be not bad, but I still think they're in for a tough year.

On the other hand, the texans. We have quietly been cultivating a good, young nucleus of a team. We have had our growing pains, but have been learning along with them. David Carr has improved every year that he has played, so expect a good year for him. Andre Johnson is a stud, and DD and Morency will be good in the backfield. And our O-line might actually surprise some people. They have been together for over a year now and might gel into quite a unit. Pitts and Wand are both young, and could still develop some. And Drew Hodgdon may take over as center in the near future.

Defensively, we are now a team built on speed. Greenwood and Wong should be good in the middle, and Peek and Babin should wreak havoc on the outside. Johnson gives us some depth on the line in case Walker or Payne go down again. Buchanon may be a risk, but he is also young and can still grow. And then Glenn Earl is developing into a good SS for us with Coleman manning the FS spot.

In short, I think this will be the year we take a step forward, not backwards. I do enjoy the fact that everyone is underestimating us though, because we may be able to catch everyone napping.

Thanks.

And p.s. Greenwood was nabbed from the Dolphins, not the chiefs. Just an FYI before you put that in anywhere.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hope the Texans do well, i'm a supporter, but I just don' feel like they made enough defensive adjustments to start winning.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, and I hope you don't take what I wrote as being an attack against your analysis. I do think that you were very accurate in the writeup that you have done. To the average fan, it would seem like the texans are ready to take a step backwards this year. I'm just an optimist and truly believe we will have a good year.

Here's hoping both our teams do well this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: