You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Saints WRs - Who Emerges?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigBen7

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Saints WRs - Who Emerges? Reply with quote

Saints WRs - Who Emerges?

Quote:
The New Orleans Saints experienced a passing game renaissance in 2006 under head coach Sean Peyton. From 2000-2004, wide receiver Joe Horn was the one consistent standout. He led the team in receptions each of those years (averaging 87.4 per year) and made the Pro Bowl four times. However, not only had age and injury started to catch up with Horn last year, but the Saints found several other options in the receiving game, including wide receivers Marques Colston, Devery Henderson and Terrance Copper. (Let's not to forget running back Reggie Bush, who led the team in receptions last year.) Add the acquisition of quarterback Drew Brees, and the result was an extraordinarily balanced passing game that finished first in the NFL. New Orleans continued their push towards a younger receiver corps by releasing Horn (who has since been acquired by the Atlanta Falcons) and drafting Robert Meachem in the first round.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the article Ben!

I believe we will see Colston, Henderson, and Meachem as the top 3 recievers by week 8.

Keato
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my doubt about Henderson, but from what I have been hearing about his improvements, I would not be suprised to see him take the starting spot.

#BRINGBACKRITA #FIREPAYTON
mattmatt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

navysaintsfan wrote:
I had my doubt about Henderson, but from what I have been hearing about his improvements, I would not be suprised to see him take the starting spot.

I don't think it will be his improvments that put him at #2, I think it will be a case of nobody else being able to fill it.

Keato
nolafan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u guys going about Henderson all wrong.. he will be a slot wr.. there is to much speed..
Raves

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nolafan wrote:
u guys going about Henderson all wrong.. he will be a slot wr.. there is to much speed..

So you are saying that Steve Smith CAR should be just a slot reciever? What about Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss? Should both of them be slot recievers?

I say if he's made the adjustment to be able to do all the routes and makes the plays consistently why not give him the chance to play #2 and let Meachem get acclimated as our #3 WR
mattmatt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nolafan wrote:

but if he is the 2nd best WR on the team then shouldn't he get the #2 spot? I agree though that by the end of the season he will be in the slot but I'm pretty certain that he will start out at #2.

Keato
nolafan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
nolafan wrote:

So you are saying that Steve Smith CAR should be just a slot reciever? What about Calvin Johnson and Randy Moss? Should both of them be slot recievers?

I say if he's made the adjustment to be able to do all the routes and makes the plays consistently why not give him the chance to play #2 and let Meachem get acclimated as our #3 WR

u cant compare henderson to them.. i see where u going though.. have the best wr on the field at all times... i was just saying your third wr / slot wr is most of the time your fastest guy...
Raves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nolafan wrote:
Raves wrote:
nolafan wrote:

u cant compare henderson to them.. i see where u going though.. have the best wr on the field at all times... i was just saying your third wr / slot wr is most of the time your fastest guy...

That's true but also look at Indy... Anthony Gonzales definantly isn't their fastest WR but he'll be their slot WR anyways. You also have to realize that just because your slot is normally your fastest that goes deep most of the time doesn't mean it can't be adjusted based on the skillset of your WR's. Gonzo will be running through the middle most of the time grabbing the balls there while Wayne and Harrison will be doing more of the deeper routes. I think we'll do something similiar to our WR's that Indy does using our slot for more of a 3rd down move the chains person as we already have a speed guy on the field to constantly open up the field for Bush and Duece.
navysaintsfan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/Articles/2007/7/A%20look%20at%20the%20Wide%20Receivers.aspx

For some reason, Aaron Hosak stands out to me. Something tells me he needs to make the team. I don't know what it is, but it's the same feeling I had about Scott Chandler in the draft.

#BRINGBACKRITA #FIREPAYTON
pukenbowl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked last years receiving stats for the league this morning and Colston was ranked eleventh in the league in yards/game avg.
This stat is somewhat skewed. I did my own little stat grabbing and found him second to Steve Smith.

They did take into account that he was hurt for two games, but not that he was hurt on one of the first plays of the Cincinnati game and was basically sat for the last Carolina game. If you take this into account, that's 12 games he played in with an asterisk.

GM RE Y Y/CTCH Y/G TD Y/G*
Steve Smith 13 83 1166 14 83.3 8 89.7
Roy Williams 15 82 1310 16 81.9 7 87.3
M. Colston 12 70 1038 14.8 74.1 8 86.5
Chad Johnson 16 87 1369 15.7 85.6 7 85.6
M. Harrison 16 95 1366 14.4 85.4 12 85.4
Reggie Wayne 16 86 1310 15.2 81.9 9 81.9
Donald Driver 16 92 1295 14.1 80.9 8 80.9
Lee Evans 16 82 1292 15.8 80.8 8 80.8
Anquan Boldin 16 83 1203 14.5 75.2 4 75.2
Torry Holt 16 93 1188 12.8 74.3 10 74.3
Terrell Owens 16 85 1180 13.9 73.8 13 73.8
D. Jackson 13 63 956 15.2 73.5 10 73.5
L. Fitzgerald 13 69 946 13.7 72.8 6 72.8
Andre Johnson 16 103 1147 11.1 71.7 5 71.7
T. Houshman.. 16 90 1081 12 77.2 9 67.6

Y/G* STANDS FOR ADJUSTED
Wilder009

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word has it that david patten is playing really well for us i would love to see us with the 4 WR set of colston, meachum, patten, henderson and the 1 RB be Bush... talk about explosive.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: