Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

next year
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Referring to all the players saying they want Brees back: At the end of the season, all the players in the Browns locker room were saying they want Terry Robiskie back as coach. If they retained him, not only would they be making a bad business decision, but more importantly, they would be letting the inmates know they could run the asylum. As a GM or Head Coach, you can take input from the players, but not advice. They don't let the GM run the ball and the coach doesn't play end on passing downs, so why should the players be involved in personnel decisions? At the end of the day, they just have to make the decision that is right for the team.
phicart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
A $6M cap hit is the same thing that Cleveland is going to take when they get rid of Jeff Garcia, but the way the front office looks at it is that it is only one year, as opposed to the lenght of the contract that they take a big hit. Since Cleveland and the Chargers both have overpriced QBs who contribute nothing on the field, we should trade them and our first round picks. You get the 3 and 12 pick and a veteran QB to teach Brees how to be short and still make the Pro Bowl. Maybe we'll take the 28 off your hands so you don't have to make too many decisions in the first round.

Can't have our 28th...Brees found his way to the Pro Bowl without Garcia's help. Sorry.
SDChargers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he had fluties help with that one.
phicart

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDChargers wrote:
Yeah he had fluties help with that one.

Do I detect the start of a Flutie for QB coach campaign?
SDChargers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if the current Qb coach wasn't Marty's son.
CalKiper the III

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You realize what your saying is not fact but rather opinion. All I'm saying is that I feel the DE aspect is very important. So it is well worth a high draft pick IN MY OPINION. Here is a fact we have over 20 million in cap room. Don't tell me that we should waste money on a DE. we can get a DE and still spend on a LB.

Does anybody know a link for a good list of FA players. Someone told me Santana Moss is a free agent, does that sound right?
CalKiper the III

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i forgot to put that my last comment was aimed at SupraTony
Lowe_51

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:06 am    Post subject: draft Reply with quote

fyi...the chargers 2nd pick is the 28th. playoff teams are seeded just like the rest of the teams in the league, by record and tiebreakers, with the only exceptions being the two super bowl teams, loser 31st and winner 32nd.
i agree cody would be a very nice fit opposite igor. hopefully he will be there at 28 because he really is ideal to play the 3-4 end spot and there aren't too many teams running the 3-4 who would pick ahead of us.
i think the only way the chargers use a first round pick on a WR is if mike williams were there for them. anyone else has too many question marks to be taken so high and paid so much. they may just get williams if they can swing the brees for a high pick deal, especially if it were arizona at 8. but leinart staying in school hurts a bit as he would have been top 5 for sure.
if they can get a high pick for brees from ariz, dal or det they have to do it. rivers is the future here. there's no way smith and schottzy can go from feeling rivers was better than manning and roethlisberger last draft to wanting brees for the long term in one season. they had to see something in rivers to make the decisions they made last year.
now this might draw some harsh rebuttals, but a guy i like a lot in this draft is adam "pac-man" jones. i know we keep drafting secondary, but in today's nfl you can never have enough quality db's. he's a bit small, but he's a tremendous playmaker and tackles very well. in college he had a breakout game when they stuck him on kellen winslow and he shut the big TE down. he also was an excellent kick returner. at the combine we might find out he's the fastest db in this draft. i think he can be an incredible cover corner. with the new touch football no contact rules in place i think jammer moving to FS would be a great idea. he needs to be physical and the league just doesn't want to allow it. i saw a lot of "physical" corners have poor seasons because of this. move jammer back to center field and let him lay the lumber like john lynch.
so here's my draft...
trade brees to ariz for #8
#8 mike williams hopefully is there, if not derrick johnson or alex barron. one of these 3 should be there.
#12 pac-man jones
#28 shaun cody
2nd round OT like perry from syracuse or britt from alabama or LB like darryl blackstock or kevin burnett. both positions could always use depth, and the starters (especially leber) could use some more competition or be pushed to a back-up role.

one last thing...anybody think that aj was gambling that mike williams would be put in a supplemental draft last year when he insisted on the getting giants first rounder? he could have snatched up williams with the san diego pick (which would have been the #1 pick in a supplemental draft) and still had the first rounder for this year from the giants. too bad williams was denied, because i really think a supplemental draft, in particular williams, was on aj's mind when he did that deal.
SDLTGates

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like that draft that you have lowe 51. I love both your picks. Mike Williams and Shaun Cody would be a pretty great draft. I do think that AJ was wanting a supplemental Draft to get Mike. Too bad that never happened. I'm opposed to drafting a WR in the first round but I love Mike Williams ever since I heard about him his freshman year. Also, Shaun Cody fits better in out 3-4 defense than Marcus Spears. Shaun Cody I've heard has a motor and is pretty damn strong too. He can also pass rush some. I would love to get those players in here. I think we draft a WR in the 1st if Rivers is starting cause he'll need playmakers and a great O-line for at least next year. Ala Ben Roethlisberger. I think will pick up Dwight Smith through FA though.
Lowe_51

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's just my ideal first round. in actuality, i don't think they will get that high of a pick for brees.
honestly though, if they can't get williams i really don't like any other reciever enough to use a high first rounder on one. IMO williams is well above the rest.
another guy similar to cody is matt roth from iowa...great motor who can really get after the QB. maybe not quite as good at the point of attack, but probably a better pass rusher. he's an overachiever and very hard worker. never quits. i like that type of player...like igor, willing to put the work in, you don't have to motivate them, just turn em loose.
crazyman33

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theredzone.org/2005/freeagents/index.asp

there is a list of free agents
phicart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDLTGates wrote:
I would like that draft that you have lowe 51. I love both your picks. Mike Williams and Shaun Cody would be a pretty great draft. I do think that AJ was wanting a supplemental Draft to get Mike. Too bad that never happened. I'm opposed to drafting a WR in the first round but I love Mike Williams ever since I heard about him his freshman year. Also, Shaun Cody fits better in out 3-4 defense than Marcus Spears. Shaun Cody I've heard has a motor and is pretty damn strong too. He can also pass rush some. I would love to get those players in here. I think we draft a WR in the 1st if Rivers is starting cause he'll need playmakers and a great O-line for at least next year. Ala Ben Roethlisberger. I think will pick up Dwight Smith through FA though.

Re Cody, we don't need a guy who can pas rush some, we need a guy who can pass rush plenty. Be better off with a big strong fast strong safety or linebacker and and three guys up front that require the the O-lines full attention. Games changing, big strong technicians are losing their jobs to big strong fast athletes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: