You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why do you dislike Mel Kiper?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twonder23

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Why do you dislike Mel Kiper? Reply with quote

I've been watching the Draft Special on ESPN tonight and some guys are putting together a mock draft. Some of the picks these guys are making are a$$ backward, but I've been watching it nonetheless.

I've never put a whole lot of stock into Mel Kiper's opinion and usually seek information elsewhere, but I heard him say something tonight I was shocked at. He made the statement that Alan Branch did not produce at the college level and the boys had him going at #32 to the Colts!

Being that Mel's job is football related, you'd think he'd know a thing or two about the sport.
Michigan was #1 in the nation in rushing defense at 43.4 yards per game.
TCU was #2 in the nation at 60.8 yards allowed per game.

Now before you yell at me about sacks counting against rushing yards in college and that Michigan finished in the top 5 in the country in sacks as well, I'll add the sack yardage back on to the rushing yardage. Michigan had 325 yards in sacks this past season add that to the 564 rushing yards allowed and you've got 889 "NFL rushing yards allowed". Divide that by 13 games and you've got 68.4 yards per game allowed. Without checking out what other teams in the top 10 in rushing defense did sack-wise and doing the same calculation, this would put Michigan at #4 with the other teams all having had the advantage of having sack yardage count towards rushing yards. Alan Branch didn't have sexy numbers, but Steelers fans know who butters the bread of a strong rush defense.

I'm not really advocating that the Steelers draft Alan Branch (though I might not mind) since he'd essentially be confined to the same positions as Aaron Smith who is now signed long-term. I just wanted to bash Mel Kiper a bit and show a little homerism for the Maize and Blue.

Feel free to share something about Mel (other than his hair) that gets on your nerves!
nate3682

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The knock that most people have on Branch is that he's lazy and unmotivated.

EDIT: Guess that wasn't that point of the thread, I don't really have a problem with Kiper.
"We're coming from everywhere. We play with 15 guys in the huddle. We have guys parachuting from airplanes, fans coming from out of the stands to help us go after people." - Kevin Greene on the Steelers' defense
BrockBurgh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also heard on Sirius NFL radio, that Branch admitted he watches cartoons and some feel that he may not be mature. Dang, and I like SpongeBob, South Park, and Family Guy and I'm closing in on 30.
spush

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A. his hair, he's obnoxious. A classic draft moment from 5 or 6 years ago......

With the 10th pick in the 200??? NFL draft the Cincy Bengals select Levi Jones, OT .

Kiper immediately says, "thats a huge reach, they could've traded back 10 or more spots and still got him"

The classic part was when Mortensen chimes in and says:
"What do you expect, they're the Bengals!!!!!!!!!!!"

Best draft moment EVER.

Next point:

Branch....Some say he's lazy, others say he's the sole reason Harris and Woodley were so productive.... LenDale White dropped to pick 45 when teams thought he was lazy...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spush wrote:
Quote:

A. his hair, he's obnoxious. A classic draft moment from 5 or 6 years ago......

With the 10th pick in the 200??? NFL draft the Cincy Bengals select Levi Jones, OT .

Kiper immediately says, "thats a huge reach, they could've traded back 10 or more spots and still got him"

The classic part was when Mortensen chimes in and says:
"What do you expect, they're the Bengals!!!!!!!!!!!"

Best draft moment EVER.

Next point:

Branch....Some say he's lazy, others say he's the sole reason Harris and Woodley were so productive.... LenDale White dropped to pick 45 when teams thought he was lazy...

Best Evah bro! Agreed.

Branded his incompetence in my mind forever. Can't take him seriously ever since.

Proved Mort has been right at least once in his career as well.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel has been so horribly wrong at times. It could be his own ego getting in the way of looking at picks. He and Bill Polian ( Colts GM) have gotten into it at times and Polian is always right in the end.

According to Mel, he will see us at Mike Williams HOF speech. The Colts wasted a pick on Bob Sanders. The Pats reached on Mankins and the Bengals reached on Jones ( as noted above).

He just shuts up when NE picks because he knows that they know what they are doing a lot more than him.

It just proves that the GMs,Scouts and coaches know a lot more than us or the analysts. If Kiper would just admit ( like he has done in recent years) hat HIS draftboard is not the FINAL say in the rankings then I would enjoy him more.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
stillersenat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel is more of a prospect king. He doesn't really know what team needs are. So, he will always take BPA.
STELRFAN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Some times he is right but you could say that about anyone really he does make some horrid predictions and misjudges allot players. But I love how he makes me laugh some of his exchanges with bill polian were funny although he was right about mandrich, and jeff george. Also he was wrong about big ben he said he was boom or bust. And that eli manning was far more polished "SWING AND A MISS ON THAT HUH MEL"

UML-Redskins GM GoSkins

Jamal Lewis seems to be a real uphill runner now. That's a problem. Downhill runners are preferred. Maybe he is running in the wrong direction. Espn DJ Gallo
VanSlyke18

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stillersenat wrote:
Mel is more of a prospect king. He doesn't really know what team needs are. So, he will always take BPA.

excellent way to put it.... he knows an extreme amount about the prospects, but relatively nothing of draft philosophy.

and then theres the fact that WR Mike Williams topped his big board on draft weekend. Terrible Mel, just terrible.
john_moser1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dislike kiper becaue he has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman and he doesn't even have season tickets
BlackLion21

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not here to defend Kiper. I have my own issues with him. But, He's a college football analyst and a damn good one. However, he has a tendency on some players, ala Mike Williams, to ignore the intangibles. At the same time he'll crush another, who turns out to be great, who lacks the measurables. Too much is emphasized at the combine. A lot of the time speed, strength, cone drills, etc. cannot tell you if he's a "football" player or not. I will say this though, his criticism of some teams is well deserved. There's a reason the Lions suck every year. Was his evaluation of Donte Whitner wrong last year? He went 8th overall to the Bills, Kiper had him as a second round pick. I think some teams don't know what the hell they're doing. The Bills probably could've moved way back and still got him. Sometimes he's wrong, most of the time he's very right. Still his hair is obnoxious though. Maybe he should fight Polian in a cage match with the loser having to shave his head.
Cowherkids

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john_moser1 wrote:
i dislike kiper becaue he has no more credentials to do what he's doing than my neighbor, and my neighbor's a postman and he doesn't even have season tickets

second best 30 seconds of ESPN. First was Chris Everet slaming jim rome on up close.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: