You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official "Predict the Steelers 1st Round Pick"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spush

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some things you can take to the bank on draft day..

1. Under no circumstances will the Pittsburgh Steelers trade up in the 1st round. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
2. Under no circumstances will Alan Faneca be traded on draft day.
3. Under no circumstances will Paul Posluszny be drafted as an ILB at 15, in a trade back scenario, possibly.
4. " " " " " " will a WR be selected first round, although its a sexy pick. CB maybe but only for value purposes.

Quote:
In 2003, it was for Troy Polamalu.
In 2004, it was for Ricardo Colclough.
In 2006, it was for Santonio Holmes

Huge difference in money to go from:
32 to 25 for Holmes
26 to 16 for Troy
or up in the 2nd for Coke.

Than go from 15 to 5 or 12. We're talking 10's of millions gauranteed. Ito wont happen, even if they wanted to they cant. And dont give me this BS about trading Faneca frees up cap space, that idea just shows lack of football knowledge. Creating a hole so fans can fun on draft day, its absurd, to put it nicely. There isnt exactly a wealth of pro bowl OL lurking on the bench to step in. Mahan is stop gap, Essex sucks, Colon has potential, Okobi (eh). Theres no saying Grubbs, Sears, Blalock even work out. Oh but their 2nd round picks, so what.. 2nd round picks bust all the time, regardless of position. It will take a few years to build a top 5 OL again, if its done correctly.

Think about like this, exactly how many 1st/2nd rounders are franchise saviuors their first years. Not many. You draft for 2/3 years down the road. The quick fix, if needed, is done in FA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going out on a limb and saying we pick Darrelle Revis.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spush wrote:

1. Under no circumstances will the Pittsburgh Steelers trade up in the 1st round. $$$$$$$$$$$$$
3. Under no circumstances will Paul Posluszny be drafted as an ILB at 15, in a trade back scenario, possibly.
4. " " " " " " will a WR be selected first round, although its a sexy pick. CB maybe but only for value purposes.

Spush, we usually agree in thought process, but I'm on the other side of the fence in terms in regards to #1 and #2.

One of the clearest signals to me so far that the Steelers are looking to trade up is Colbert talking about all the mid-round value available in this draft and his desire to add 3/4 round picks.

He's selling value to the media/other teams on the mid round pick they will package to move up. If they are saying it publicly this time of year they are manipulating perceptions!

Faneca would be an excellent trade candidate. He wants the $$$, we know better than to give it to him. His value is largely based on perception rather than skills at this pint in his career. Move him while there is value in doing so. If we can package him instead of picks to move up all the better.

I whole heartedly agree with you on points 3 and 4.

My prediction in Rd 1 remains Jamaal Anderson.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
skalars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjfollett wrote:
We trade #15 to NO for #27 and #58.

Then we trade #46 and #58 to KC for #23.

#23 - Anthony Spencer, DE (Jets may take him at #25)

#27 - Ben Grubbs, OG (Balt may take him at #29)

Nice idea assuming NO and KC are BOTH intrested, I'd love to see it, but getting the 3 teams to agree ON DRAFT DAY?

The Chiefs certainly want to get there pick on what is sure to be a late 1st, 2nd round run on WR Meecham, Ginn Jr, Bowe, Rice, Jarrett, S.Smith.... instead of waiting till 46 and getting whoever's left?

NO Could us Grubbs themselves, or Sears, Kalil, maybe even Zach Miller/ Greg Olson, sure they signed Eric Johnson, but that guys More fragile than K2 or Vernon Davis
skalars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fanofsteel86 wrote:
I'm going out on a limb and saying we pick Darrelle Revis.

fanofsteel, that's a pretty poplular limb, the guy played at PITT, is a good value at 15 and is the most complete DB in the draft, man or cover 2.

Carricker is the obvious choice with his 3/4 4/3 versatility, Moss is intriging at 15. Trading down for Simmons, Spencer would be great, but not at 15, I think they're will be plenty of depth at DE/ OLB at#46 so I hope we pick Revis
nate3682

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skalars wrote:
Carricker is the obvious choice with his 3/4 4/3 versatility, Moss is intriging at 15. Trading down for Simmons, Spencer would be great, but not at 15, I think they're will be plenty of depth at DE/ OLB at#46 so I hope we pick Revis

That is exactly why I am going with Adam Carriker, DE/DT, Nebraska. Besides that, the comparisons to Richard Seymour have got me excited about him.
"We're coming from everywhere. We play with 15 guys in the huddle. We have guys parachuting from airplanes, fans coming from out of the stands to help us go after people." - Kevin Greene on the Steelers' defense
STELRFAN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spush wrote:

Quote:
In 2003, it was for Troy Polamalu.
In 2004, it was for Ricardo Colclough.
In 2006, it was for Santonio Holmes

Huge difference in money to go from:
32 to 25 for Holmes
26 to 16 for Troy
or up in the 2nd for Coke.

Than go from 15 to 5 or 12. We're talking 10's of millions gauranteed. Ito wont happen, even if they wanted to they cant. And dont give me this BS about trading Faneca frees up cap space, that idea just shows lack of football knowledge. Creating a hole so fans can fun on draft day, its absurd, to put it nicely. There isnt exactly a wealth of pro bowl OL lurking on the bench to step in. Mahan is stop gap, Essex sucks, Colon has potential, Okobi (eh). Theres no saying Grubbs, Sears, Blalock even work out. Oh but their 2nd round picks, so what.. 2nd round picks bust all the time, regardless of position. It will take a few years to build a top 5 OL again, if its done correctly.

Think about like this, exactly how many 1st/2nd rounders are franchise saviuors their first years. Not many. You draft for 2/3 years down the road. The quick fix, if needed, is done in FA.

Spush I have been trying to say this for weeks now people just think oh lets trade up to #5 ok last years #5 got 20.4 guaranteed the steelers cannot afford that feasibly its impossible fun to talk about but about as likely as the human race bieng enslaved by aliens its just not gonna happen (we'd be to busy kicking their butts.)

Its just ridiculous draft picks are brought in to be groomed and team depending on a draft pick to help immediately are picking high for a reason

UML-Redskins GM GoSkins

Jamal Lewis seems to be a real uphill runner now. That's a problem. Downhill runners are preferred. Maybe he is running in the wrong direction. Espn DJ Gallo
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick with my boy Spencer but I think, if they can move back, it will be Grubbs.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
fanofsteel86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
fanofsteel, that's a pretty poplular limb, the guy played at PITT, is a good value at 15 and is the most complete DB in the draft, man or cover 2.

I said that only because no one seems to believe we would actually pick a CB in the first round. I realize he went to Pitt and all but we just resigned Taylor and we have McFadden. We'll see very soon what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
I'll stick with my boy Spencer but I think, if they can move back, it will be Grubbs.

Hate to say it, cause I'm not a big fan of OG in 1, but I starting to agree with the Grubbs thing. Maybe even at 15. Mad

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: