You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Top 15 Steeler Players of All-time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelSedition

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers had the 15-1 season and then the Super Bowl winning season during the twilight phase of Bettis' career. I don't blame Bettis for us not winning a SB earlier, I blame the poor quarterback play. If the Steelers had a franchise quarterback like Ben earlier on in Jerome's career then this would be a different story.

There are more pieces to solving a team's puzzle than RB, for you to dismiss Jerome's accomplishments on the field is ridiculous. Take Jerome off of the team and our record during the past decade or so would have been undoubtedly worse.
StillersFury

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Steelers had the 15-1 season and then the Super Bowl winning season during the twilight phase of Bettis' career. I don't blame Bettis for us not winning a SB earlier, I blame the poor quarterback play.

So you blame Cowher...So do I

Hey Cowher picked the starters and backed Neil O' yousuck and Kordell Stewart..not once but twice.

Remove the second Faneca and add Mike Wagner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are hating on bettis for that fumble last year but if im not mistaken , the bus had won the bears game and lions game to even give us a playoff birth

Thanks to cew28315039 on the sig
gseabrook26

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steeler75586 wrote:
You guys are hating on bettis for that fumble last year but if im not mistaken , the bus had won the bears game and lions game to even give us a playoff birth

He single handedly won those games?
I'll give it to you that he was huge against the bears. However, in the Lions game he only really touched the ball inside the 5 yard line.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:
Remove the second Faneca and add Mike Wagner

That is the smartest thing you have posted in this thread (almost the only smart thing Wink )

Anyway, Wagner is so over-shadowed by the great HOF'ers he played with but he was an outstanding safety and a leader in the defensive backfield.
StillersFury

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I am old enough to remember how great those teams and players were.

Time to make the board mad. How many starters on this years defense would start on the defense from the 70's.

Dline-None

Hampton couldnt beat out Fats..

Backers- Maybe Farrior...I really like Russell & Taves.

Corners- None

Safeties- None.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:

Time to make the board mad. How many starters on this years defense would start on the defense from the 70's.

Dline-None

Corners- None

Safeties- None.

There are only a handful of NFL players period in todays game that could start on that team.

Champ
Urlacher, not at ILB though

A few more, Merriman wouldnt. He isnt good enough in that system to start on those teams. Back to the 34/43 debate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, No steeler today could start with that group. Football was a tuff mans game in the 70's a different brand all together. The football that we know and love today is a watered down version.

As far as Bettis goes anyone who says he is overrated and not clutch never really liked him. Best trade ever made by the Black & Gold it was the best day of my football life. Don't be ungrateful for the great player and person he was and is.

See you at the HOF Bettis
SteelSedition

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:

Dline-None

Corners- None

Safeties- None.

Couldn't tell you--I was born in 1985. Though I do know its too difficult to compare such a thing based upon the sizes of the players. Hampton's size and strength back in those days would have been of absurd proportion.

I don't think Parker could beat out Franco, but it would make for an interesting trifecta having Franco, FWP, and Rocky all being capable of running the ball, and Hines would be an interesting addition to the tandem of Swynn and Stallworth--I'd love to see Hines earhole Tatum as Franco breaks one long down the sideline.

I also think there'd be a spot on the Oline somewhere for Faneca.
StillersFury

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't think Parker could beat out Franco,

Franco played Fullback Cool

Quote:
I'd love to see Hines earhole Tatum as Franco breaks one long down the sideline.

The assassin may have ended his day awful quick...Tatum was nasty...I mean the Stingley hit was bad....He was just plain evil

Quote:

Sam the Man Davis...Moon Mullins...Courson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:
Quote:
I don't think Parker could beat out Franco,

Franco played Fullback Cool

Quote:
I'd love to see Hines earhole Tatum as Franco breaks one long down the sideline.

The assassin may have ended his day awful quick...Tatum was nasty...I mean the Stingley hit was bad....He was just plain evil

Quote:

Sam the Man Davis...Moon Mullins...Courson

I understand Franco played fullback, I don't understand why you constantly attempt to establish forum superiority over others through going out of your way to attempt to prove them wrong on the basis of what you believe to be minor inaccuracies. I was referring to overall carries and workload as a feature back in regards to comparing Franco and Willie.

If you want to get down to the nitty gritty, there's a big difference between there, their, and they're, which you are obviously unaware of judging by a number of your former posts (ex: "There in. Cowher is in ..Gary Anderson should be in Lloyd and Lake have decent chances... " If you plan on egregiously insulting individual posters on this site you'll gain some credability by not insulting the english language at the same time.

As for who would start, I highly disagree with you. Modern day athletes are bigger, stronger, faster, and overall more agile than those from the past. If you were to take Alan Faneca, Troy Polamalu, Casey Hampton, and several other players from the team that are currently playing and have them play against teams from the 1970s they would undoubtedly dominate. Alan Faneca is 6'5 307lbs, Courson was 6'1 270lbs--Shawne Merriman is bigger. On top of sheer size you'd have to also factor in the superior weight training and conditioning that modern-day athletes go through as well, as Faneca and Hampton would both prove superior there as well.

Your logic is flawed, as your question is intrinsically inane. The only way to even address such a question would be by asking who is the superior player in comparison to the other players of his time that he competed against. I'm not trying to negate anything that the Steelers accomplished back in the 70s, so don't take that away from this post, I just think this is a silly thing for you to get so worked up over.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: