You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

More on Walter Thomas

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: More on Walter Thomas Reply with quote

Before you guys point to this guy as more proof of my greatness, I heard about him from StillersFury.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/25/sports/football/25nfl.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

I had him in my most recent mock.

(thanks to untitledscream)
SteelSedition

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno if I should take your hubris as sarcasm or as someone who has truly managed to inflate his ego through over-emphasising this forum within his daily life...
Cutwolf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot the "Dear God" part prior to you addressing me. Didn't your Mama ever teach you how to pray?

(if it isn't clear to you now, it never will be)

(thanks to untitledscream)
spush

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear God,

Walter Thomas was mentioned as a high riser in feature article in yahoo sports weeks ago.

Quote:
NW Mississippi CC defensive tackle Walter Thomas
If you ever wanted to know how to make 100 NFL scouts raise their eyebrows, set loose an unknown, 370-plus pound defensive tackle such as Thomas in late January. Thomas was highly recruited out of high school by most schools in the Big 12, and picked Oklahoma State where he stayed for just over a year before having academic issues.

Thomas ended up at the JC level and thanks to him being a native of Galveston, Texas found his way into the Texas vs. the Nation All-Star Classic. He punished opposing defenders in one-on-one drills, using sheer strength, quickness off the ball and impressive balance for an athlete of his size. Thomas was also a sponge when it came to listening and taking to the coaching he received during the week.

His recent workout numbers wowed even the most hardened scout as he measured in at nearly 6-5, 373 pounds; ran between 5.11 and 5.20 in the 40; has 33 bench reps of 225 pounds; and had 11-inch hands. Players of his size and agility just do not come along often enough for teams to pass on him once the fifth round starts in spite of his limited game film, exposure to big-time competition and raw technique. Just think about this tidbit for a moment: he ran 1.70 in the first 10 yards of his 40. In comparison, one of USC wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett's 10-yard splits was 1.65 and Thomas weighs over 150 pounds more than Jarrett

From April 9

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jm-highrisers040907&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Yes my sons, their is a new god in new town....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not touch him before the 6th round. Too many character and intelligence issues.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
StillersFury

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was on Thomas far before Yahoo or draft daddy but its all good.

Onto intelligence and character...Compare Thomas results with Hampton and Aaron Smith Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StillersFury wrote:

Onto intelligence and character...Compare Thomas results with Hampton and Aaron Smith Wink

Why don't you fill me in. Since both Smith and Hampton made it through at least 3 years of college without flunking out I must assume that they are a little more intelligent than Thomas. I've not heard of Hampton or Smith being arrested for conspiracy to commit robbery which is a felony ( Class C in this case). I also understand that Hampton and Smith have had at least 3 years of coaching for football.

So we are talking just a raw talent. A gamble with no college background or games and dubious character issues?

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
StillersFury wrote:

Why don't you fill me in. Since both Smith and Hampton made it through at least 3 years of college without flunking out I must assume that they are a little more intelligent than Thomas. I've not heard of Hampton or Smith being arrested for conspiracy to commit robbery which is a felony ( Class C in this case). I also understand that Hampton and Smith have had at least 3 years of coaching for football.

So we are talking just a raw talent. A gamble with no college background or games and dubious character issues?

Laughing Laughing

Thought this was funny.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
StillersFury wrote:

ok... and Einstein was terrible at algebra.

Thomas made the wrong choices and those led to his departure from college... it really has no bearing on his ability to play football, or his overall aptitude for that matter.

his coaches seem to rave about him, so at least we know he's receptive of coaching.
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanSlyke18 wrote:
jebrick wrote:
StillersFury wrote:

ok... and Einstein was terrible at algebra.

Thomas made the wrong choices and those led to his departure from college... it really has no bearing on his ability to play football, or his overall aptitude for that matter.

his coaches seem to rave about him, so at least we know he's receptive of coaching.

Yes but those choices can get him into trouble later on.

PacMan Jones has made wrong choices that have no bearing on his ability to play football or his overall aptitude. Yet Pacman Jones is suspended for a season because he makes bad decisions.

My question is where would you draft him? I say not before the 6th round based on his ability to play high school football and a seemingly lack of ability to make good decisions. It goes back to my statement before...
Quote:

We are talking just a raw talent. A gamble with no college background or games and dubious character issues?

VanSlyke18

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Santonio Holmes seems to be working out ok.

Not saying Thomas would, but at least he's not a 1st rounder.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanSlyke18 wrote:

S. Holmes also had a clean track record before being drafted. If S. Holmes would of done these things before the draft. We'd probably would of take some one else last year. The Steelers don't draft players that have off the field issues. Now what the players do after there draft is a completely different story.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelProven wrote:
VanSlyke18 wrote:

S. Holmes also had a clean track record before being drafted. If S. Holmes would of done these things before the draft. We'd probably would of take some one else last year. The Steelers don't draft players that have off the field issues. Now what the players do after there draft is a completely different story.

you're not going to tell me that Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes never had issues pre-draft.

Only difference -- Thomas got caught.
SteelProven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanSlyke18 wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
VanSlyke18 wrote:

you're not going to tell me that Plaxico Burress and Santonio Holmes never had issues pre-draft.

Only difference -- Thomas got caught.

All I'm saying is that he got caught and it's going to hang over him like a bad cloud. It's doesn't mean that he has to succumb to it just show teams that's it's behind him. From a measureable stand point this kid is physically gifted athlete and a second day pick would be a low risk manuver.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

Cutwolf wrote:
You forgot the "Dear God" part prior to you addressing me. Didn't your Mama ever teach you how to pray?

(if it isn't clear to you now, it never will be)

cutwolf your gona burn for that one Shocked

UML-Redskins GM GoSkins

Jamal Lewis seems to be a real uphill runner now. That's a problem. Downhill runners are preferred. Maybe he is running in the wrong direction. Espn DJ Gallo

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: