Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Detroit Lions Team Needs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LION KING

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroit needs to build its Defense, after watching the Pat beat the colts this weekend its clear you win with a good offense but a great defense.

Detroit needs to get the best DL in the Nfl and put preasure on the qb wiht there front 4 then allow there other 7 guys fly to the ball.

DE is our number one need then Saftey then another Cb our Lbs are preaty set if Boss is healthy.

This year Draft DEfense first 2 picks.

YEAH I SAID IT FROM DAY ONE I TAKE A P OVER CALVIN !
Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the D needs to be drafted with the Lions first 2 picks. but why the D-Line first. The DL played pretty good this year and I would say was the strongest unit of the team. Rogers is a superstar, Hall has become the leader and had as many sacks this year as he had combined in his previous 3 or 4, Wilkinson, while getting older, has played well, Redding gets better the more he plays and Bell, DeVeries provide good depth. The only person playing on the line that seems to not be improving is Edwards, but by drafting a DE that high who would you replace in the starting lineup?
KJonesISsweet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: hmm... Reply with quote

if jauron (sp.) had the cajones to blitz...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=37573

DE IS NOT A LIONS NEED
[ img]http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/1923/marcusvick5jp.png[/img]
goblue42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Detroit Lions Team Needs Reply with quote

A2Wolves6 wrote:
QB- Joey Harrington may not be the starter in Detroit for long. What is keeping him here is his huge contract. Mike McMahon is a free agent and wants out of here. Rick Mirer is a free agent as well and may not be retained. While it isn't smart to go after another starting QB and having all that salary tied up at this position, Detroit has to do something at the quarterback position. A mid round draft pick and a veteran free agent pickup is necessary at this position.

FB- Cory Schlesinger has been a great Lion for years, but I don't know how much longer he is going to play. Keith "Thump" Belton looked great in the pre-season and may be the future at the position, but that is for the coaching staff to decide. A late round draft pick at the fullback position may be necessary.

WR- This is an ugly position. Roy Williams has trouble catching balls. Charles Rogers has trouble staying healthy. Az-Zahir Hakim has been dropping balls as well, and will likely be released due to his large salary next season. Tai Streets is a free agent and won't be re-signed. With the salaries Rogers and Williams are commanding, Detroit can't use a first day pick at this position or pick up a high profile free agent, but need to spend a second day pick on a prospect who is ready to play right now.

TE- After passing on Kellen Winslow, the Lions gambled on Stephen Alexander on panning out at the tight end position. Alexander has dropped several crucial endzone passes and is a free agent at the end of the season. Casey Fitzsimmons is also a free agent, but will likely be with the club next year. A playmaker is necessary at this position, preferbably a receiving threat. The Lions are too high to be selecting Heath Miller, and will likely look at someone like Alex Smith in the second round to booster their receiving game

LG- David Loverne has been awful all season. He was benched in favor of Matt Joyce last week against the Bears, when Jones was running well. Once Damien Woody left with an injury and Loverne came in, Jones and the rushing attack stopped, as Loverne played poorly. His passing protection is poor, and his run blocking is worse. He is a capable backup. Detroit needs to look at a starter possibly in the second or third round such as David Baas or Marcus Johnson.

C- Dominic Raiola is a free agent at the end of the season. He was overpowered by tackles at the beginning of the season, but has come on as of late. Still, he never developed into a dominant run blocker, but an adequate pass blocker. Detroit may not retain Raiola, and would need to draft a center. Scott Mruczkowski is a possibility in the later rounds, or a free agent such as Robbie Tobeck.

RT- Stockar McDougle and Damien Woody make up the right side of the offensive line, which is where Jones gets most of his rushing yards. McDougle is argubably the best offensive lineman the Lions have. He will be hard to retain, as the free agent market may lure him away. If Kelly Butler or Victor Rogers aren't ready to take over the RT position, then Detroit may draft an immediate starter in round one such as Alex Barron or Jammal Brown. They could also pick up a free agent RT who would be more prepared to start.

RE- While Cory Redding, Kalimba Edwards, and Jared Devries have rotated in and out of this position and performed well, none of them is an every-down starter. This is more of a want than a need though. A first round draft pick of Erasmus James or Dan Cody would be great, although this team has bigger needs.

DT- Shaun Rogers will be slapped with the franchise tag if a long term deal isn't reached. Dan Wilkinson is good at stoping the run, but he is getting up there in years. Detroit has depth at the position in Kelvin Pritchett who is a free agent and Marcus Bell who has played very well at times, but neither look like every-down players. A developmental prospect in the later rounds would be beneficial for this position.

ILB- While Earl Holmes is great at this position, he is a free agent at the end of next season, and Detroit would like to groom a replacement at the position, as Holmes is showing signs of slowing down. A later round selection could be the route here, if Detroit wants to draft his replacement this year.

SS- Bracey Walker has been burnt on several occasions this season, and is a free agent at the end of the year. He is more of a backup safety and a special teamer than a starter. A first round pick or a big name free agent should be used at this position. Someone like Thomas Davis or pick up Donovin Darius through free agency, if he leaves. Dwight Smith is a possibility as well.

First off glad to see someone who knows what they are talking about. I am tight for time but want to share some of my thoughts. First off at qb I must say I really cant stand Harrington but will probably have to go with him for at leazst one more year unless if we can somehow go after Hasselback and Let Joey go back to Seattle and maybe become a seahawk. I am on fan who would have loved to see McMahan get a shot, I think he would really suprise but chance are he is done. As far a wr, I agree that Hakim and Streets are done as Lions although Hakim could be brought back after he is waived for less money. The Lions are said to be looking to go after a #wr in free agency and a te. I like the Te from Va and even saw a pulicaction that had the Lions taking him at #10 but thats a little high. I am not worried about Roy and his drops he will be fine but I am more worried about Crogers health. If he can remain healthy those two will be a force. I really hope we resign McDOugle that is the key free agent but I dont know if they can pull if off. Raiola is a lokc to resign. It would be nice to keep the oline nucleous intact! The Lions will have to get a mlb to replace the aging Holmes in the next two years but are ok for now. I want a Safety and Guard and I really like the ot from Fsu Barron who could move to guard. We have alot of options at pick 10 it should be interesting. Gotta run for now!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: