You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

WR speed in 40 overrated?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pukenbowl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: WR speed in 40 overrated? Reply with quote

Just looking at this site with previous year combines and thought it was interesting how slow some of these great recievers in the NFL were in the 40 at the combine.
Larry Fitzgerald >4.6
Anquan Bolding >4.7
Ocho Cinco 4.56
Plaxico Burress 4.59
Marques Colston 4.5

If we were looking at WR's in the draft I don't believe we should rely on the combine #'s. I find myself being too impressed by all of these guys speed in this years draft, but most of the time, its not these track stars that win the recieving title, its the guys with the great hands. I've noticed that the 40's seem to be getting faster, and I am not sure if its just natural speed or an over-trained 40. I know they won't naturally run 4.3 40's, but I would like to see these guys 40's in the middle of the college season and see how it would prepare.

Just a thought.
I am not saying that I wouldn't welcome CJ with open arms and become drunk off of the news but there is more talent out there that will also be great recievers one day.
Night Angel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when players start playing without pads is when I will start paying close attention to their 40 times. Until then, I will pay most of my attention to their game film to see their game speed and not so much on the media overhyped combine.
mrnasties NO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forty time are over rated but 3 cone drill time and short time are underated they are more involved directly ing separation
santibanezaa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion, unless your gonna send somebody streaking on every play, route running, body control, and hands are significantly more valuable in a receiver than .2 seconds in a foot race.
Raves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Rice ran like a 4.6 or 4.7 and he's the GOAT. So maybe David Ball who broke Rice's record, has a hardwork ethic like Rice, and only ran a 4.6 or so due to a hamstring injury though his first 10 and 20 yrd splits are v. good, could be a steal and be challenging for GOAT.
pukenbowl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many WR's in this draft who I believe will make a big difference in the NFL next year, I just hope that at least one of them is on the Saints roster . I really think a WR in the 2nd round would be a legitimate route to go, with a CB in the 1st.
Is it just me or does this year's draft seem like there is an abundant amount of talent compared to previous years or what. I thought last years was pretty deep into the 2nd rnd, but I believe there are great talents going into the 3rd rnd this year. This talent is the talent expected, not the unexpected talent in the later rounds.
Senor Mortgage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pukenbowl wrote:
There are many WR's in this draft who I believe will make a big difference in the NFL next year, I just hope that at least one of them is on the Saints roster . I really think a WR in the 2nd round would be a legitimate route to go, with a CB in the 1st.
Is it just me or does this year's draft seem like there is an abundant amount of talent compared to previous years or what. I thought last years was pretty deep into the 2nd rnd, but I believe there are great talents going into the 3rd rnd this year. This talent is the talent expected, not the unexpected talent in the later rounds.

What I find interesting is that there is SO MUCH talent at WR and an unique one in CJ, that many first rounders will find themselves in the second and maybe even 3rd rounds.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: