You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official Training Camp 2017 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 10187
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the Steelers will not store Connor on IR. Frenchie is apparently looking very good and Davis will have an inside track if he is going to return kicks.
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FourThreeMafia


Joined: 28 Sep 2006
Posts: 63655
Location: East of Sixburgh
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
I cant see Hunter making the roster. Limas Sweed looked good in training camp too. So did Dallas Baker. Coates has shown more than Hunter has. There is no logical reason (at this point) to think Hunter has a better chance of making it than Coates. Even with his inconsistencies, Coates has been better than Hunter.

Its funny, I hated when we drafted Coates, but now, it seems like Im the one defending him on here all the time. Laughing


I have been a Hunter fan since he came out of college and had hoped that the Steelers would have drafted him. I don't know if the Dallas Baker and Limas Sweed comparisons are fair (yet). I agree, that he has an uphill battle and will need to produce not only during practice, but in games.

I like Coates. I was excited when the Steelers drafted him and I think he has potential, but I am very disappointed in what I have seen from him thus far. Coates was not lighting it up even during OTA's from what was put out there by the media watching practice.

If Hunter continues to perform, that is all that you can ask of a player (make the most of your opportunities). Coates had a chance to make Bryant expendable. I am not buying the stuff with the fingers over the next 13 games. Coates gets props for toughness and trying to play, but he is a WR and expected to catch the ball. Over those last 13 games, Coates dropped more than he caught.

Right now Hunter is lighting it up. If he continues, then there is no logical reason why he can't earn one of the six (6) roster spots. Coates saving grace may be that he is a good special teams gunner with his speed and size. However, the Steelers need WR's who can catch the ball as well.

1. AB
2. Bryant
3. Ju Ju
4. Rogers
5. Ayers or DHB - - if he can take over PR duties
6. Hunter over Coates

Coates reminds me more of Limas Sweed.


Coates has done far more than Limas Sweed ever did.

Coates has proven more than Hunter at this point.

My comparison of Hunter to Sweed and Baker is based on him being a training camp all star.

I said it before, I will say it again.....I find it confusing that so many Steeler fans praised Martavis Bryant when he was dropping a bunch of passes, but they hate on Coates for doing the same thing last year, while also seemingly ignoring the injury issues he had with his hands.

Again, I hated the Coates pick when it was made....I was very vocal about it. He was what we needed him to be last year BEFORE he got hurt.

I admit Coates has a chance of not making the roster, but lets at least reserve judgment until we see him in preseason.

Sure, Coates has questionable hands and likely always will, but you also cant ignore how disappointing Justin Hunter has been because he has been good in training camp while PRACTICING in SHORTS. Confused
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steeler Hitman


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Posts: 1795
Location: Laurel, MD
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
I cant see Hunter making the roster. Limas Sweed looked good in training camp too. So did Dallas Baker. Coates has shown more than Hunter has. There is no logical reason (at this point) to think Hunter has a better chance of making it than Coates. Even with his inconsistencies, Coates has been better than Hunter.

Its funny, I hated when we drafted Coates, but now, it seems like Im the one defending him on here all the time. Laughing


I have been a Hunter fan since he came out of college and had hoped that the Steelers would have drafted him. I don't know if the Dallas Baker and Limas Sweed comparisons are fair (yet). I agree, that he has an uphill battle and will need to produce not only during practice, but in games.

I like Coates. I was excited when the Steelers drafted him and I think he has potential, but I am very disappointed in what I have seen from him thus far. Coates was not lighting it up even during OTA's from what was put out there by the media watching practice.

If Hunter continues to perform, that is all that you can ask of a player (make the most of your opportunities). Coates had a chance to make Bryant expendable. I am not buying the stuff with the fingers over the next 13 games. Coates gets props for toughness and trying to play, but he is a WR and expected to catch the ball. Over those last 13 games, Coates dropped more than he caught.

Right now Hunter is lighting it up. If he continues, then there is no logical reason why he can't earn one of the six (6) roster spots. Coates saving grace may be that he is a good special teams gunner with his speed and size. However, the Steelers need WR's who can catch the ball as well.

1. AB
2. Bryant
3. Ju Ju
4. Rogers
5. Ayers or DHB - - if he can take over PR duties
6. Hunter over Coates

Coates reminds me more of Limas Sweed.


Coates has done far more than Limas Sweed ever did.

No argument there from a stats and production standpoint. However, my comparison is that both are strong, fast and physical WR's. Sweed was a heck of a good blocker and punished defenders in the run game. That is the basis of much of my comparison, but no doubt, Coates six game success dating back to the play-off game in Denver until his injury versus the Jets next year, gave him an advantage over Limas' entire career. His games since that time are awfully close to the production and drops Sweed most of his brief career.

Coates has proven more than Hunter at this point.

I disagree with you here my friend. Coates had a great start to 2016, but faded hard.

Sammy Coates

Year Team G Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Rush Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Lost Yds TD Yds TD
2015 PIT 6 1 11 1.8 11.0 0 0 0 0 .0 .0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2016 PIT 14 21 435 31.1 20.7 1 2 4 14 1.0 3.5 0 0 0 150 0 0 0

Justin Hunter

Year Team G Rec Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Rush Yds Y/G Avg 100+ TD Lost Yds TD Yds TD
2013 TEN 14 18 354 25.3 19.7 2 4 0 0 .0 .0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2014 TEN 12 28 498 41.5 17.8 0 3 0 0 .0 .0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2015 TEN 9 22 264 29.3 12.0 0 1 0 0 .0 .0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2016 BUF 13 10 189 14.5 18.9 0 4 0 0 .0 .0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0


I think they are comparable athletes, with Coates being a bit stronger and more physical, but I think Hunter is clearly the better and more consistent receiver thus far in their careers.


My comparison of Hunter to Sweed and Baker is based on him being a training camp all star.

I understand your point, but time will tell if Hunter is just that. Neither of those players have the stats that he put up or the flashes that he has shown IN GAMES not just on the practice field.

I said it before, I will say it again.....I find it confusing that so many Steeler fans praised Martavis Bryant when he was dropping a bunch of passes, but they hate on Coates for doing the same thing last year, while also seemingly ignoring the injury issues he had with his hands.

To clarify, here is my take on that: No doubt that Bryant dropped passes and was even called out by Big Ben a few times. The difference between he and Coates is that he redeemed himself on the field (unfortunately not off of it). When AB went down against the Bengals in the play-offs, he stepped his game up the next week in Denver.

I understand the finger injuries, but Coates did not get a ball thrown his way for weeks. I am no doctor and do not know the extent of his injury, however, it was reported that he was catching passes in practice and that he could play with the injury which he did. I feel like the fingers were used as an excuse in many cases. In Coates defense, I felt like the offense could have tried throwing him some screens and short passes to get his confidence up as opposed to throwing his 50 yard bombs and expecting him to catch those passes after he suffered a loss of confidence. Coates himself admitted that he lost his confidence catching, just as Limas Sweed did.

Thus far, Bryant bounced back from drops and bad games and Coates has not in the same time span of their careers. I still believe that Coates can be a stud. The problem is the numbers that we can keep at WR. If he came back and performed well early in OTA's by catching the ball consistently, then yes, I would be much higher on him winning out over Hunter. Right now, Hunter is beating him out based on the on field production. Hunter is no slouch. He is a former #2 draft choice who is for the first time getting to play with an elite QB in Big Ben. He is seizing the moment thus far. There is a lot of camp left, but he has had good days when put in the starting lineup. That is all that you can ask of him thus far. If he does the same in the games as he has in practice, then it is a wrap!!!


Again, I hated the Coates pick when it was made....I was very vocal about it. He was what we needed him to be last year BEFORE he got hurt.

Agreed, but a big part of being a good professional is overcoming adversity. Coates is being tested as well as Golson and Bryant for different reasons. Big Ben, Bell, AB, Shazier and others have experienced and overcome these setbacks on and off the field. Hopefully Coates can. His issue is that he has someone as talented and fast at the same position that can take his spot.

I don't believe all the drops were because of the fingers. If I am wrong, then I will be the first to apologize, but that is not what I saw from Coates or feel in my heart.


I admit Coates has a chance of not making the roster, but lets at least reserve judgment until we see him in preseason.

I agree with you and I have not closed the door or book on Coates. I like him and I like Hunter as well. I think Hunter is seizing his opportunity right now that is all. He will make it hard to cut him if he continues to play well. Coates will need to get on the field and make plays to make the decision tougher to keep out of the two.


Sure, Coates has questionable hands and likely always will, but you also cant ignore how disappointing Justin Hunter has been because he has been good in training camp while PRACTICING in SHORTS. Confused


Neither man has lived up to what has been expected of them thus far. Coates teased us early with success. Hunter was more in a class like Limas being a higher draft choice at #2 and like Coates had some early success stretching defenses and catching the long ball. To me, this is what training camp is about: COMPETITION!!!! Hunter is competing thus far. There is a lot of training camp and a lot of preseason left. If Hunter continues and finishes like he started, then it will be very hard to cut a 6'4 and fast WR with consistent hands. Coates needs to get on the field and show some consistency catching the ball. That is all I am trying to point out.

_________________
"Being a Steeler fan starts when the sperm meets the egg!" -- Unknown Steeler Fan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 4943
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Bryant still hasn't been cleared to practice. Training camp is a week old and the Preseason starts next week. What is the League waiting on? Does it normally take this long for a player to be reinstated?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skywlker32


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 2915
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
I see Bryant still hasn't been cleared to practice. Training camp is a week old and the Preseason starts next week. What is the League waiting on? Does it normally take this long for a player to be reinstated?


At some point this becomes detrimental to the Steelers not knowing what his status is. The guy needs to be getting timing with Ben, but isn't allowed because the league is dragging its feet. Very frustrating situation.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 10187
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywlker32 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
I see Bryant still hasn't been cleared to practice. Training camp is a week old and the Preseason starts next week. What is the League waiting on? Does it normally take this long for a player to be reinstated?


At some point this becomes detrimental to the Steelers not knowing what his status is. The guy needs to be getting timing with Ben, but isn't allowed because the league is dragging its feet. Very frustrating situation.


My understanding is that the NFL office in charge of this went on vacation and thus delayed his reinstatement.
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skywlker32


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 2915
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
skywlker32 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
I see Bryant still hasn't been cleared to practice. Training camp is a week old and the Preseason starts next week. What is the League waiting on? Does it normally take this long for a player to be reinstated?


At some point this becomes detrimental to the Steelers not knowing what his status is. The guy needs to be getting timing with Ben, but isn't allowed because the league is dragging its feet. Very frustrating situation.


My understanding is that the NFL office in charge of this went on vacation and thus delayed his reinstatement.


If true, that is completely unreasonable. They should have known this was coming up and taken care of everything before vacation.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steeler Hitman


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Posts: 1795
Location: Laurel, MD
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywlker32 wrote:
jebrick wrote:
skywlker32 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
I see Bryant still hasn't been cleared to practice. Training camp is a week old and the Preseason starts next week. What is the League waiting on? Does it normally take this long for a player to be reinstated?


At some point this becomes detrimental to the Steelers not knowing what his status is. The guy needs to be getting timing with Ben, but isn't allowed because the league is dragging its feet. Very frustrating situation.


My understanding is that the NFL office in charge of this went on vacation and thus delayed his reinstatement.


If true, that is completely unreasonable. They should have known this was coming up and taken care of everything before vacation.


If that is true, that is crazy. I heard earlier that the NFL was saying that Martavis did not meet all of the conditions of having "support and counseling" in place as the NFL deemed necessary/adequate. That is why he was "conditionally" reinstated. I am not sure what to believe now.

It is crazy that you can practice when suspended up to the games, but you can't practice on conditional reinstatement. Some of these rules are crazy.
_________________
"Being a Steeler fan starts when the sperm meets the egg!" -- Unknown Steeler Fan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 2031
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler Hitman wrote:
skywlker32 wrote:
jebrick wrote:
skywlker32 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
I see Bryant still hasn't been cleared to practice. Training camp is a week old and the Preseason starts next week. What is the League waiting on? Does it normally take this long for a player to be reinstated?


At some point this becomes detrimental to the Steelers not knowing what his status is. The guy needs to be getting timing with Ben, but isn't allowed because the league is dragging its feet. Very frustrating situation.


My understanding is that the NFL office in charge of this went on vacation and thus delayed his reinstatement.


If true, that is completely unreasonable. They should have known this was coming up and taken care of everything before vacation.


If that is true, that is crazy. I heard earlier that the NFL was saying that Martavis did not meet all of the conditions of having "support and counseling" in place as the NFL deemed necessary/adequate. That is why he was "conditionally" reinstated. I am not sure what to believe now.

It is crazy that you can practice when suspended up to the games, but you can't practice on conditional reinstatement. Some of these rules are crazy.


This sounds more plausible than the league office being on vacation. Well whatever the reason, they better get it fixed in a hurry.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steeler Hitman


Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Posts: 1795
Location: Laurel, MD
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
Steeler Hitman wrote:
skywlker32 wrote:
jebrick wrote:
skywlker32 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
I see Bryant still hasn't been cleared to practice. Training camp is a week old and the Preseason starts next week. What is the League waiting on? Does it normally take this long for a player to be reinstated?


At some point this becomes detrimental to the Steelers not knowing what his status is. The guy needs to be getting timing with Ben, but isn't allowed because the league is dragging its feet. Very frustrating situation.


My understanding is that the NFL office in charge of this went on vacation and thus delayed his reinstatement.


If true, that is completely unreasonable. They should have known this was coming up and taken care of everything before vacation.


Their vacation should not impact a player getting on the field. The Steelers are not happy about this. There have been several stories detailing that Bryant has actually met the criteria outlined. Recently, Big Ben endorsed getting Bryant back on the field and saying that he, the rest of the team and the organization believes Bryant met the conditions outlined by the NFL office. Stay tuned.

If that is true, that is crazy. I heard earlier that the NFL was saying that Martavis did not meet all of the conditions of having "support and counseling" in place as the NFL deemed necessary/adequate. That is why he was "conditionally" reinstated. I am not sure what to believe now.

It is crazy that you can practice when suspended up to the games, but you can't practice on conditional reinstatement. Some of these rules are crazy.


This sounds more plausible than the league office being on vacation. Well whatever the reason, they better get it fixed in a hurry.


There are several media sites that have reported that Martavis has met the conditions outlined by the NFL's leagues office. Big Ben, Coach T and the entire team is said to be behind Bryant and believe that he has met the terms outlined in the agreement. There a few stories by Bob Codding with Pittsburgh Steelers News backing this up. This is a travesty that a vacation should be able to keep a player off the field. Seems like a little passive- aggressive behavior by the Comish. Stay tuned!!!
_________________
"Being a Steeler fan starts when the sperm meets the egg!" -- Unknown Steeler Fan
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 10187
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other news...

Watt seems to be having a good camp.

No serious injuries yet .... knock on wood

SportCenter live at LaTrobe tonight.
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JLambert58


Joined: 30 Jan 2013
Posts: 2031
Location: Denver, CO
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This version of the forum feels like the Titanic after the iceberg... let the band play on...

So, admittedly I've been busy and haven't had time to scour every report about TC, but it seems to me that the news out of camp so far is:

Cockrell is having a good camp.

Justin Hunter is showing a lot more than many thought.

Dirty Red is a machine, vying for next man up at either Buck or Mack

Hargrave is an unblockable beast.

AV is schooling the young Watt but the lad is coming along.

Dobbs is showing some promise.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jebrick


Joined: 10 Jan 2006
Posts: 10187
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports the Steelers expect Martavis Bryant to receive full reinstatement this week.
There appeared to be a mixup late last week where Bryant got dressed for practice but ultimately wasn't let on the field. Bryant remains on "conditional" reinstatement. The NFL announced on Friday that Bryant had to meet "requirements" to be fully reinstated. And the Steelers think the NFL will recognize that Bryant has met all of those requirements at some point in the coming week.


Thanks NFL
_________________

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group