You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.


 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Predict the 53 -- Pre Camp

 
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dcash4


Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 1486
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Predict the 53 -- Pre Camp Reply with quote

Super excited for camp and football to be back so I wanted to jump right into the knee jerk reactions. Here is my pre-camp thoughts on the 53.

Note: Not a depth chart so the players are not necessarily in order of who I think is ahead of who. It may look that way, but its just because of who comes to mind first at those positions.

Offense: 24

QB (3)
- Ben, Jones, Dobbs

RB (4)
- Bell, Conner, Toussaint, Davis

FB (1)
- Nix

WR (5)
- Brown, Bryant, JuJu, Coates, Ayers

TE (3)
- James, Grimble, Johnson

OL ( 8 )
- Villy, Foster, Pouncey, Decastro, Gilbert, Hawkins, Hubbard, Finney

Defense: 26

DL (6)
-Hayward, Tuitt, Hargrave, Alualu, Walton, Maxey

OLB (6)
-Harrison, Dupree, Watt, Moats, Chickillo, Adams

MLB (4)
-Shazier, Williams, Matakevich, Johnson

CB (6)
-Burns, Cockrell, Sutton, Sensebaugh, Gay, Allen

S (4)
-Mitchell, Davis, Golden, Stafford

Specialists: 3

K (1)
- Bowsell

P (1)
- Berry

LS (1)
- Holba


Thoughts on the breakdown:

- I cant see us right now carrying more than 5 receivers. We are ready to roll with the talent there and we NEED special teams guys and hopefully some potential players with the lower end of the defensive depth chart (Adams, Allen, Chicki). To me, Rogers is redundant if JuJu ultimately is the slot player come middle of the year. They drafted him to use him and as long as Bryant is here that will eventually be the 3 guys deployed w/ Brown. We wont get away from using a TE so that limits 4 wide usage. Rogers was removed from PR duties and is almost exclusively a slot. His roster spot as a backup is questionable. If Ayers can show return ability and position flexibility I think he takes the spot.

- Second WR thought: With Coates injury I think that opens the door for DHB. Their spot on the roster will be the special team WR/deep threat. I dont see Hunter competing here unless he shows ability on ST.

- I dont like carrying the 4th RB, but I dont consider Davis a RB. With a rookie RB as the backup, I wouldnt feel comfortable with just Bell, Conner, and Davis. I still hold hope that a guy like D-Will gets signed to the #3 and just let Davis focus on KR.

- Not a huge fan of the MLB after the top two, but I also think guys like Watt, and potentially Adams, could see snaps as a hybrid MLB in sub packages.

- At OLB, I think Moats could be an easy cut, but Harrison is 60, Watt is a rookie, and Chicki hasnt shown to be a roster lock. Moats isnt great, but he is a serviceable vet LB. Someone is going to have to take that position from him in camp.

- I still think Gay is closer to cut than to making the roster, but that depends on Golson/Allen. I am more hopefully that they see enough in Allen to keep and use on ST.

- Im honestly just hoping for the best with Adams and Allen both making the roster. First guys on the list to add if either of them wouldnt make it for me would be one of Rogers/DHB/Hunter or one of the UDFA TE's.

- Guys not getting a helmet on Sunday in a perfect world without injuries from this list: Toussaint, Dobbs, Hawkins, Maxey, Adams, Allen

Tear it up Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MOSteelers56


Joined: 17 Jan 2008
Posts: 6619
Location: Anywheresville Missouri
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Hawkins makes it as the backup OT.
_________________

Deadpulse on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 4943
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think they're giving up on Golson? And Ayers over Rogers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skywlker32


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 2915
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
You think they're giving up on Golson? And Ayers over Rogers?


I could see either personally, but I think It's more likely that Gay is cut this year. He has slowed down each year. Ayers vs. Rogers will likely come down to special teams.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 4943
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywlker32 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
You think they're giving up on Golson? And Ayers over Rogers?


I could see either personally, but I think It's more likely that Gay is cut this year. He has slowed down each year. Ayers vs. Rogers will likely come down to special teams.

Agree it could go either way. I was looking for some insight as to why he thought so. Personally, I think Golson makes it over Sensebaugh. Sensebaugh is an average Veteran. Golson has dynamic ability when healthy and if he truly is healthy they don't wanna miss out now after waiting so long. It's hard for me to accept Sensebaugh as being the player that gets Golson cut. Allen makes the 53 out of fear he'd get poached and Gay will remain as the consistent (albeit declining) Veteran. Rogers over Ayers imo. It's close but I see Rogers as the better WR. As far as STs. JuJu and Kniles can handle those duties.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skywlker32


Joined: 14 Mar 2006
Posts: 2915
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
skywlker32 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
You think they're giving up on Golson? And Ayers over Rogers?


I could see either personally, but I think It's more likely that Gay is cut this year. He has slowed down each year. Ayers vs. Rogers will likely come down to special teams.

Agree it could go either way. I was looking for some insight as to why he thought so. Personally, I think Golson makes it over Sensebaugh. Sensebaugh is an average Veteran. Golson has dynamic ability when healthy and if he truly is healthy they don't wanna miss out now after waiting so long. It's hard for me to accept Sensebaugh as being the player that gets Golson cut. Allen makes the 53 out of fear he'd get poached and Gay will remain as the consistent (albeit declining) Veteran. Rogers over Ayers imo. It's close but I see Rogers as the better WR. As far as STs. JuJu and Kniles can handle those duties.


I don't know much about JuJu's special teams abilities, but the biggest thing is that Rogers doesn't really offer anything special.

At CB, I think the question becomes moreso Gay or Sensebaugh IMO. If Golson is healthy(possibly a big IF), it's hard to keep him off the roster. I think it would come down to Sensebaugh and Gay as the Vet presence and Gay has just been declining for too long.
_________________

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dcash4


Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 1486
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
You think they're giving up on Golson? And Ayers over Rogers?


The quotes on Golson so havent made me think that he has any sort of leg up because he was drafted. I get the feeling they view him as just another guy fighting for a spot right now, and since I have never even seen him take a snap in a preseason game I am leaving him off any sort of 53 until he proves otherwise.

As far as Sensebaugh, he was signed to a two year deal. We rarely cut guys we signed beyond a single year in FA. I think they have a purpose for him -- and personally, I think that purpose is to try to push Gay off the roster. He has a little more position flexibility and scheme flexibility. Gay is strictly slot, zone. Gay is the major reason we couldn't play man at times last year because when we did, we got toasted. IF Golson shows he can play, I think he takes Gays spot and Sensebaugh remains a vet backup.

For Rogers vs. Ayers: Personally, I dont get the love affair with Rogers. I think he is about as average as you can get, and average can be replaced. He isnt dynamic. Even going back to his college days all 4 years it was 40 catches, 500 yards, >5 Tds. That's right on point with where he was last year. I dont see his ceiling being much higher than that. That's not a bad thing, but I think its easily replaced.

If JuJu played the entire year in the slot I dont think we see any sort of decline off that production. I think JuJu ultimately WILL be the slot which makes Rogers a backup, slot only receiver who was taken off special teams. If Ayers can show that he has position flexibility (played slot in the preseason last year, but outside mostly in the regular season) and show return ability, he is the more valuable backup.

JuJu offers more from a body standpoint. Redzone, traffic catches, sticks work. The fact that he was drafted in the 2nd points to that he is going to get work. I think Ayers is a little more dynamic. He may not be the route runner, but ultimately is more flexible as a back up. Even a guy like Hunter who is the size/speed guy you want as a WR. If we are as deep as everyone keep saying we are at receiver, I just dont see why we would keep the guy who, while he is a solid player, probably offers the least in terms of upside.

I think the battles between Rogers, Ayers, and JuJu will be pretty awesome to watch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chieferific


Joined: 24 Feb 2006
Posts: 4943
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dcash4 wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
You think they're giving up on Golson? And Ayers over Rogers?


The quotes on Golson so havent made me think that he has any sort of leg up because he was drafted. I get the feeling they view him as just another guy fighting for a spot right now, and since I have never even seen him take a snap in a preseason game I am leaving him off any sort of 53 until he proves otherwise.

As far as Sensebaugh, he was signed to a two year deal. We rarely cut guys we signed beyond a single year in FA. I think they have a purpose for him -- and personally, I think that purpose is to try to push Gay off the roster. He has a little more position flexibility and scheme flexibility. Gay is strictly slot, zone. Gay is the major reason we couldn't play man at times last year because when we did, we got toasted. IF Golson shows he can play, I think he takes Gays spot and Sensebaugh remains a vet backup.

For Rogers vs. Ayers: Personally, I dont get the love affair with Rogers. I think he is about as average as you can get, and average can be replaced. He isnt dynamic. Even going back to his college days all 4 years it was 40 catches, 500 yards, >5 Tds. That's right on point with where he was last year. I dont see his ceiling being much higher than that. That's not a bad thing, but I think its easily replaced.

If JuJu played the entire year in the slot I dont think we see any sort of decline off that production. I think JuJu ultimately WILL be the slot which makes Rogers a backup, slot only receiver who was taken off special teams. If Ayers can show that he has position flexibility (played slot in the preseason last year, but outside mostly in the regular season) and show return ability, he is the more valuable backup.

JuJu offers more from a body standpoint. Redzone, traffic catches, sticks work. The fact that he was drafted in the 2nd points to that he is going to get work. I think Ayers is a little more dynamic. He may not be the route runner, but ultimately is more flexible as a back up. Even a guy like Hunter who is the size/speed guy you want as a WR. If we are as deep as everyone keep saying we are at receiver, I just dont see why we would keep the guy who, while he is a solid player, probably offers the least in terms of upside.

I think the battles between Rogers, Ayers, and JuJu will be pretty awesome to watch.

There's no "love affair" with me and Rogers. I mean we're talking about whether or not he deserves to be the 5th WR on the roster and it's close. I simply think he's a better WR than Ayers (slightly). Ayers may have the STs advantage but with JuJu and Davis handling KR duties and AB (you're gonna have to fight to keep him off) and Sutton handling PR duties I'd take the best WR between the two. With all that said, I'd be perfectly fine with Ayers making the 53 over Rogers. I just don't think the team makes that move. But who knows? As for Sensebaugh/Gay, I agree with everything you said. Gay has declined. He's an average Zone/Slot CB. Sensebaugh is average but is younger and offers postion flexibility. These are the things WE see. However, keeping Gay is the type of thing I see the team doing. I've grown accustomed to it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group