Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers fire Dave Gettleman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
panther dude

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supersuavesky wrote:
Finally.

People have been waiting for him to leave for years. He gets credit for Cam and Luke but he really shouldn't. One was the first overall pick and the second was a BPA.

Those weren't his guys. He had the:

Star, KK Short
Benjamin, Ealy
Shaq Thompson, Funchess
Vernon Butler
Christian McCaffery, Curtis Samuel

drafts. It's spotty in the decision making and the performances of the guys regardless of the need they may or may not have filled.
fretgod99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Cypher wrote:
I am beyond words. Absolutely disgusted with this. Gettleman had done a tremendous job rebuilding this team from the ground up.
But wait... it gets better!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/marty-hurneys-name-floated-as-a-panthers-interim-g-m/
That would be a hard pass for me. Dude ran our cap into the ground.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
panther dude

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Cypher wrote:
I am beyond words. Absolutely disgusted with this. Gettleman had done a tremendous job rebuilding this team from the ground up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/marty-hurneys-name-floated-as-a-panthers-interim-g-m/

I think that's something that could be learned from. We had good teams under him I don't think that'd be the worst thing in the world.
panther dude

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
Wasbt he known to be not particuliarly people friendly, or am i wrong about that? Maybe it came back to bite him.

He's definitely not the most graceful socially. I liked him but just watching his pressers paired with the way things ended with guys like Steve Smith and Deangelo Williams its not hard to see how he rubs some the wrong way.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know why yet? I thought this guy was a good GM?

Nacho Simulation Football League
fretgod99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther dude wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
The LBC wrote:
Cypher wrote:

I think that's something that could be learned from. We had good teams under him I don't think that'd be the worst thing in the world.
If it were just that, I wouldn't have much of a problem. He made some good draft picks. But then he also tended to trade away picks to make ... questionable ... draft choices.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His fault or not, this team has underachieved because Cam hasn't always had good protection and he's made moves like letting go of Norman that I just can't stand behind.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if he wasn't well liked wouldn't you think he wasn't well liked 4 months ago?...Like why not fire him before FA/Draft and let someone else steer the ship their way

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol at people saying he "didn't treat players well" or he's "not people-friendly".

gettleman isn't being paid to be a nice guy. he's paid to build the team, which he was doing a pretty good job at. letting norman go has been a mistake, but you don't fire a guy over one bad decision.

and bringing up letting go of washups like smitty and williams? seriously?
bananabucket

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everlong wrote:
lol at people saying he "didn't treat players well" or he's "not people-friendly".

gettleman isn't being paid to be a nice guy. he's paid to build the team, which he was doing a pretty good job at. letting norman go has been a mistake, but you don't fire a guy over one bad decision.

How you treat respected veterans, whether they're on their way out or not, is definitely important. I don't know how you think players resenting their GM wouldnt be an issue.
everlong

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bananabucket wrote:
everlong wrote:

How you treat respected veterans, whether they're on their way out or not, is definitely important. I don't know how you think players resenting their GM wouldnt be an issue.

how did he even "treat them poorly" anyway? both had bad years in their last season in carolina and were well north of 30. letting them go were common sense moves.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I fail to see how it's an issue. Am I to really believe that players aren't going to take money from the Panthers because they resent the GM? Did a single guy leave the team, or a did a single FA not sign because of him? He's not there to make friends and be buddies with people. He's there to build a winning roster.

This is a billion dollar (sports) business, and we're firing people who are good at their jobs because they rub some people the wrong way and because their senile old owner is too sentimental.

We see this sort of thing happen all the time across the NFL and it's maddening. These are grown men being paid massive amounts of money to do their jobs, yet they can't handle friction with one another. When has firing someone because they're a not a nice guy actually worked out for a NFL team long term?
NFL.com-BELICHICK OUTCOACHES TOMLIN YET AGAIN
panther dude

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everlong wrote:

The issue there is if he's creating a toxic environment it hurts negotiations going forward. There's some good talent on the team but if the long drawn out contracts continue agents might steer their guys elsewhere. Many people were afraid Short's situation was going the way of Norman's. And then there's Star Loutulelei, Shaq Thompson, Trai Turner to do still. And who knows what role his personality played in the rest of the front office wanting to get out.

My issue is he's not taken advantage of the primes of guys like Olsen, Davis and Kalil to get a title. He's taking the slow build approach but if he doesn't want to push for it now when will it be if he doesn't want to pay guys their worth when it's time to pay? The window is always when your vets are still in their prime and your top talent is still on cheap deals.
Supersuavesky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther dude wrote:
Supersuavesky wrote:
Finally.

People have been waiting for him to leave for years. He gets credit for Cam and Luke but he really shouldn't. One was the first overall pick and the second was a BPA.

Those weren't his guys. He had the:

Star, KK Short
Benjamin, Ealy
Shaq Thompson, Funchess
Vernon Butler
Christian McCaffery, Curtis Samuel

drafts. It's spotty in the decision making and the performances of the guys regardless of the need they may or may not have filled.
My god your right.

It's worst then I thought.

At least George will leave Indy soon.
Zithers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gettleman has also done great work in FA. Ted Ginn, Mike Mitchell, Charles Tillman, Kurt Coleman, Mario Addison, Drayton Florence, Quintin Mikell, etc. were all bargain bin deals who turned into solid or good starters.

And people talking about having issues with signing contracts... he made Ryan Kalil, Luke Kuechly, Cam Newton, Greg Olsen, and KK Short some of the highest paid players in the NFL. Thomas Davis, Mike Tolbert, and J-Stew got plenty of money off him. We just gave Oher a big deal last season.

This is just a baffling fire. Why not keep Beane and promote Don Gregory or something. Dumb. We're pretty much doomed unless Cam and Luke go ape sh*t in the same year and get us a title.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: