Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gettleman FIRED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burnoutonme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
burnoutonme wrote:
After marinating on this decision for a few hours, my feelings are that Richardson is a foolhardy, meddling do-gooder that couldn't stand the thought of his clean organization being run by a guy who wasn't afraid to be a -. The thought of our GM refusing to shell out $80M to two running backs simultaneously was just too much for 'ol Jer to stomach.

Ugh.
Not sure where you get that since Richardson has been about the least meddlesome owner imaginable.

I didn't mean meddlesome in the sense that he interferes with individual transactions, what I really intended for that to mean was that he's meddling with the franchise during its longest period of sustained success. The tea leaves suggest that he's largely been upset with Gettleman's interpersonal doings, and that DG's personality and perceived lack of loyalty clashed too hard with JR's vision for the team.

This is the narrative for the time being, but I could definitely buy some of what Voth was speculating on regarding Beane's role in the day-to-day operations.

Just generally really dissatisfied with the move. I sincerely hope we bring in a guy who's even better, but I was really of the train of thought that we'd hit the jackpot with DG. :\

TCMD 2017 Carolina Panthers GM
FFMD 2016 Carolina Panthers GM
FFMD 2015 Carolina Panthers AGM
burnoutonme

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh, guys...per Rotoworld

Cypher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnoutonme wrote:

If this nonsense happens, Richardson needs to sell this team.

AkronsWitness wrote:
The Browns are a football team, run by baseball people, making smart basketball trades...#Analytics
atown703

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
burnoutonme wrote:

If this nonsense happens, Richardson needs to sell this team.
No.. Please... NO! Don't do it Jerry!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Oh, Jerry, so good to hear from you! Fired? Oh, such a shame...Go on..."

iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in the NFL News forum, I kind of understand the move if Gettleman was legitimately that despised. It just isn't a good look for the team and no matter how good you are at your job, it isn't in the teams best interest when people dislike you. There is a difference between being hated for being too good at what you do (Belichick for example - players will always respect him) and being hated for being a flat-out jerk. This is one of those moves where I don't think you can fairly criticize Richardson. Also if it is true Beane handled a lot of the day-to-day duties of GM, allowing Gettleman to focus on roster building, then this would make even more sense. Gettleman doesn't seem like a good people-person and having to manage a lot of scouts (and whatever else GMs do) might not have been his forte. It would explain why it took him decades to get this job despite his obvious knowledge when it comes to the sport.

However, if we hire Marty Hurney (a story I simply don't believe), then Richardson is in fact a fool.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, pass on Hurney. Hard pass. The salary cap issues alone should be enough to keep that from happening.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
fretgod99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More speculation.

Certainly seems like issues with relating to veteran players could be a substantial part of the reason.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, I did not see that coming. especially now. navigating the salary cap hell hurney put us in, taking us to the superbowl and finally when the cap gets under control fired? I don't get it and I don't see the move making us better. this one is a real head scratcher to me

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
shaX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Some speculation about why Gettleman might have been fired. If you pull back and think about it in retrospect, there were a few moves over the last few years that were curious. There were some obvious, glaring issues (like O-Line depth and DB depth) that either weren't at all addressed or generally neglected. I can't say letting Smith and Williams and Norman go were necessarily the worst decisions (and in fact might have been good business decisions), but the way some of them were done might be the issue. And if Beane did more than we knew, perhaps not having him around was enough for Richardson. But yeah, timing is not ideal. At all.

But every GM has made "a few moves over a period of a few years that were curious". That's their job; to make curious and tough decisions. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't. Gettleman's decisions have generally worked out more often than not. I don't like this move, I think it's premature. We're 1 season removed from 15-1 / in the Super Bowl. We had a bad year last year, sure. He let Norman walk hoping young corners would fill the shoes. They took a while to get better, so it made the move look dumber than it actually was.
Zithers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really bad move.

I understand that cutting Smitty and D-Will, letting Norman walk, and *maybe* not extending Olsen and TD can ruffle the feathers of the roster's best players but, uh... the NFL, at the end of the day, is a business. You want to win each year. You aren't saying, "Here's a three year window for us to win and then we're gonna suck."

This thinking of keeping the fan favorites happy is what got us into 2010 with D-Will, J-Stew, CJ, Delhomme, Gross, Beason, TD, Gamble, Smitty, etc all on massive contracts that prevented us from building a great roster. Gettleman is a FANTASTIC talent evaluator. That's what I care about when trying to build a great team. Not being nice. It isn't Gettleman's job to be nice to them. He pays them what he thinks they should receive. The coaching staff and other players can be nice to them/each other.

God. If we don't win the Super Bowl this year we probably never will unless Cam and Luke will the entire team to victory on their backs with MVP tier seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the talent evaluator stuff has gotten a little overblown for Gettleman. The draft record is spotty. The bargain free agents are good looks but I'm not sure the culture and development staff cant claim some credit in that area. Looking at how guys like Josh Norman and Andrew Norwell developed. Even the guys who could contribute like Philly, Remmers, Horton, Mayo, etc. This staff can definitely develop guys.
Zithers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther dude wrote:
I think the talent evaluator stuff has gotten a little overblown for Gettleman. The draft record is spotty. The bargain free agents are good looks but I'm not sure the culture and development staff cant claim some credit in that area. Looking at how guys like Josh Norman and Andrew Norwell developed. Even the guys who could contribute like Philly, Remmers, Horton, Mayo, etc. This staff can definitely develop guys.

Well we were signing bargain bin guys in 2011/2012 since we had no cap space and we sucked despite retaining the same coaching staff when Gettleman came aboard...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zithers wrote:
panther dude wrote:

Well we were signing bargain bin guys in 2011/2012 since we had no cap space and we sucked despite retaining the same coaching staff when Gettleman came aboard...

Culture and development doesn't happen overnight. It takes time to set a foundation.
fretgod99

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And who have we really brought in since we opened up some cap room? The O-Line has been an issue for years. We're lucky we got as much out of Oher as we did the Super Bowl year and nothing was done to improve things last season. Bringing in Kalil isn't necessarily a big step up based on his career thus far.

MrDrew wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: