Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Panthers fire Dave Gettleman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abe56

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
DeAngelo Williams‏ @DeAngeloRB 49m

I want to publicly say @Panthers is off my list of teams I won't play for due to the firing of that snake Dave gettleman! 😎😎👌🏽✊🏽

Seems like wasnt well liked by the players
Supersuavesky

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally.

People have been waiting for him to leave for years. He gets credit for Cam and Luke but he really shouldn't. One was the first overall pick and the second was a BPA.

At least George will leave Indy soon.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshawn lynch wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
game3525 wrote:
Why? Confused

The better question is why not?

Well youd think they would have done this before Brandon Beane (their former GM of the future) left for Buffalo.

Makes no sense. If u were gonna fire him and had a GM of the future why wouldnt they fire Gettleman and offer Beane the job when the Bills were negiotiating with him.

Now theyre both gone...

At the time when Beane left, they were keeping Gettleman. Since then, things have changed, and they have fired him. Just because he's fired now doesn't mean they wanted to fire him then.

That's like common sense.

^^El ramster^^
FF Hunger Games I Winner

#JDI
FootballProdiG wrote:
Cant spell choke without OKC
fretgod99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panther dude wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
I feel like this could show Rivera has a hot seat. New GM being brought in, might want his guy if the Panthers underachieve once again.
I don't hold last season against Ron. Gettleman didn't put enough talent on the roster. Coach was set up for that 6-10.
Yeah, that really feels like a GM thing. Absolutely no O-Line depth when everybody knew that was the biggest issue coming into last year (hell, it was a known issue the Super Bowl year, too). Add to that the DB problems that were compounded by "Screw it, we'll let rookies fill in for Norman" and it was going to be a difficult season.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
fretgod99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speculation as to the reasons behind the firing. Contract/player issues could be a big part of it.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
There had been rumblings that all was not well with Gettleman and owner Jerry Richardson stemming from allowing star CB Josh Norman to walk.

mike23md on the sig
OleXmad

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing he was a cold dude who was business first and didn't treat his players extremely well. He did a good job and that shows, but letting Norman+Steve Smith walk was pretty stupid. Then again Steve was great as a raven, so thanks Gettleman I hope he finds work soon.

Current owner of the Portland Horned Owls in the Bizzaro Dynasty League, I'm a Ravens fan and I regret every second of it.
sdrawkcab321

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
There had been rumblings that all was not well with Gettleman and owner Jerry Richardson stemming from allowing star CB Josh Norman to walk.

That was an incredibly stupid and unnecessary move.

2016 Adopt A Brown: Al Saunders
MKnight82

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, I really liked what he did with their roster. I get that he let some pricey vets leave, but sometimes you gotta make the hard decision in football. He's definitely a good talent evaluator. I expect him to get another GM job somewhere else. I'd take him over Bruce Allen any day of the week.

Bruce Allen is a snake and should be fired.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was angry, but if he was that hated internally, then maybe this is for the best. It isn't good to have a lot of ex-players talking trash about your team, especially a legend like Steve Smith. There is speculation that he wasn't willing to give Davis an extension either, which in my opinion is understandable given his age and the presence of Thompson. But ultimately it depends on how he went about it. If he outright refused to negotiate with TD, then I could see the problem.

However, this shouldn't change anyone's opinion about him as a talent evaluator. In that regard, Gettleman is one of the best in the NFL. He's also exceptional at managing the salary cap (we were in cap HELL when he got here and he has turned that around). I think a team looking that is young and looking to establish themselves should definitely take a look at him. Probably not best for him to go to a team with a lot of veterans though.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:
That was an incredibly stupid and unnecessary move.
I think the issue is less that it was a bad/unnecessary move (arguments can be made, I suppose, but it wasn't a highlight), and more with how it was done. A lot of these moves seem to come from out of nowhere, so players are caught off-guard. Norman apparently was pretty shocked and thought there were still working on a deal. That will really start rubbing people the wrong way and make it much more difficult to deal with players in the future.

MrDrew wrote:
fretgod99

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iknowcool wrote:
At first I was angry, but if he was that hated internally, then maybe this is for the best. It isn't good to have a lot of ex-players talking trash about your team, especially a legend like Steve Smith. There is speculation that he wasn't willing to give Davis an extension either, which in my opinion is understandable given his age and the presence of Thompson. But ultimately it depends on how he went about it. If he outright refused to negotiate with TD, then I could see the problem.

However, this shouldn't change anyone's opinion about him as a talent evaluator. In that regard, Gettleman is one of the best in the NFL. He's also exceptional at managing the salary cap (we were in cap HELL when he got here and he has turned that around). I think a team looking that is young and looking to establish themselves should definitely take a look at him. Probably not best for him to go to a team with a lot of veterans though.
He's a fantastic talent evaluator. Apparently bad at dealing with people. Williams apparently hates the guy, too. And yeah it seems like the last straws may have been refusing to deal with (or poorly dealing with) Davis and Olsen.

MrDrew wrote:
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher wrote:
I am beyond words. Absolutely disgusted with this. Gettleman had done a tremendous job rebuilding this team from the ground up.

But wait... it gets better!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/marty-hurneys-name-floated-as-a-panthers-interim-g-m/

MathMan wrote:
I think I'm obfuscating all over the place!
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supersuavesky wrote:
Finally.

People have been waiting for him to leave for years. He gets credit for Cam and Luke but he really shouldn't. One was the first overall pick and the second was a BPA.

He didn't draft either of those. Gettleman started in 2013. Cam was 2011 and Luke 2012.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Cypher wrote:
I am beyond words. Absolutely disgusted with this. Gettleman had done a tremendous job rebuilding this team from the ground up.

But wait... it gets better!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/17/marty-hurneys-name-floated-as-a-panthers-interim-g-m/

I tip my hat to Jerry Richardson for trolling the fanbase if this comes to fruition.

^^El ramster^^
FF Hunger Games I Winner

#JDI
FootballProdiG wrote:
Cant spell choke without OKC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: