Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets Offseason Overlook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
doumeyer wrote:
Rich51 wrote:
Kyu wrote:
glenearl18 wrote:
We're drafting the guy from USC 1st overall. Hackenberg will go down as one of the dumbest 2nd round picks ever.

Whether he ever plays a snap for us or any other team, the Hack selection will never boggle my mind like the Nugent pick. Should have cleared house in time to make the next selection..

I agree it was a dumb pick at the time and we didn't even keep him. He has spent the last 7 years as Cincinnati's kicker.

We've had many bad second round picks but one of my favorites is the 1991 pick of QB Browning Nagle at 34 (17 picks higher than Hackenberg) In 5 years (3 with us, 1 as a starter) Browing had a 48.7 % completion and 53.5 passer rating. What makes it especially sad is that there was a prospect that dropped into the 2nd round, if we had just traded our 4th to move up 2 spots, we could have had Farve.

No argument from me Rich, you bring up thinks that we are all trying to forget. You brought up a great point who was the worst second pick ever. I am going to check it out right now.

Rich you started this mess, so here we go, the only star player we got in the second round the last twenty years is David Harris all the rest sucked I will give you a few.
Stephen Hill 2012
Vlad Ducasse 2016
Justin Miller 2005
Vic Hobson 2003
Josh Mc Graw 2002
Lamont Jordan 2001
Rick Terry 1997
Alex Van Dyke 1996
Dorian Boose 1998
I only went back 20 years, Marcus Maye is only a rookie so who knows?
I left our D Smith & Amaro, because we got nothing out of these guys for one reason or another.

Justin Miller was a Kick Return ace, I'm not sure how long we held onto him for but he definitely made the Pro Bowl while he was with us. The Pro Bowl is a terrible measuring stick when comparing elite players but I think for KRs it at least proves he wasn't a bust. Lamont Jordan was great for us. I think he was absolutely worthy of his selection. You have to remember when he was drafted the top RBs went early in round 1, far different than comparing the top RBs recently who call the the 2nd round for value reasons.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rdelaney89"]
doumeyer wrote:
doumeyer wrote:
Rich51 wrote:
Kyu wrote:
glenearl18 wrote:
We're drafting the guy from USC 1st overall. Hackenberg will go down as one of the dumbest 2nd round picks ever.

Whether he ever plays a snap for us or any other team, the Hack selection will never boggle my mind like the Nugent pick. Should have cleared house in time to make the next selection..

I agree it was a dumb pick at the time and we didn't even keep him. He has spent the last 7 years as Cincinnati's kicker.

We've had many bad second round picks but one of my favorites is the 1991 pick of QB Browning Nagle at 34 (17 picks higher than Hackenberg) In 5 years (3 with us, 1 as a starter) Browing had a 48.7 % completion and 53.5 passer rating. What makes it especially sad is that there was a prospect that dropped into the 2nd round, if we had just traded our 4th to move up 2 spots, we could have had Farve.

No argument from me Rich, you bring up thinks that we are all trying to forget. You brought up a great point who was the worst second pick ever. I am going to check it out right now.

Rich you started this mess, so here we go, the only star player we got in the second round the last twenty years is David Harris all the rest sucked I will give you a few.
Stephen Hill 2012
Vlad Ducasse 2016
Justin Miller 2005
Vic Hobson 2003
Josh Mc Graw 2002
Lamont Jordan 2001
Rick Terry 1997
Alex Van Dyke 1996
Dorian Boose 1998
I only went back 20 years, Marcus Maye is only a rookie so who knows?
I left our D Smith & Amaro, because we got nothing out of these guys for one reason or another.

Justin Miller was a Kick Return ace, I'm not sure how long we held onto him for but he definitely made the Pro Bowl while he was with us. The Pro Bowl is a terrible measuring stick when comparing elite players but I think for KRs it at least proves he wasn't a bust. Lamont Jordan was great for us. I think he was absolutely worthy of his selection. You have to remember when he was drafted the top RBs went early in round 1, far different than comparing the top RBs recently who call the the 2nd round for value reasons.[/quote[

Yeah I remember Miller, the guys career was one big injury after another. He did have great speed, I am not sure but I think he had the Jet record for the longest KO return at the time well over 100 yards.
Rich51

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Miller had two good years returning kicks, not much else. Harris is a good example of a good second rounder -5 or more years of solid play as a starter or key role player, maybe just below pro bowl level. Since the draft merge in 1970 we've had about 11 (out of 47 picks) that fit that category - Harris, Jim Sweeney C for 11 years, Matt O'Dwyer G, Randy Thomas G, Robert Woods T, Reggie McElroy T, Darelle Ray S, Johnny Hector RB and the only 3 second round positional players that did make the Pro Bowl - Rich Caster 3 time pro bowler, Wesley Walker 2 time Pro Bowler, and finally one of our greatest players ever, Mark Gastineau.

Mark made 5 Pro Bowls and was first team all pro 3 Times. It's amazing to me that he is never even talked about as a future hall of farmer or even as a member of our ring of honor. I guess his personal life and flamboyant style got in the way. Regardless, the man dominated his position and was listed as one of the top ten pass rushers of all time by the NFL Network.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/09000d5d8088a0ec/article/top-10-pass-rushers-in-nfl-history
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enunwa has came out in the media and has said the Jets are tanking in his opinion. Can't argue with the guybfir being honest. Bad culture to be around a team that innessence wants to lose. He's due for a pay day, so I'm sure he was very happy with the Marshall and Decker cuts.
Rich51

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
Enunwa has came out in the media and has said the Jets are tanking in his opinion. Can't argue with the guybfir being honest. Bad culture to be around a team that innessence wants to lose. He's due for a pay day, so I'm sure he was very happy with the Marshall and Decker cuts.

According to what I read he understands the talk in the media about tanking but everyone on the team wants to win
http://nypost.com/2017/07/16/quincy-enunwa-sees-the-jets-tanking-evidence-too/
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich51 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:

According to what I read he understands the talk in the media about tanking but everyone on the team wants to win
http://nypost.com/2017/07/16/quincy-enunwa-sees-the-jets-tanking-evidence-too/

Yea Enunwa didn't say "we are tanking IMO"

Quote:
The tanking talk is expected to be as much a part of the Jets this year as the J-E-T-S chants. Even in the offseason, Quincy Enunwa hears about it, from the media to fans he comes across, and the No. 1 wide receiver out of necessity understands it.

“It’s hard to argue [with] that,” Enunwa said Sunday, “when everybody else sees all the stuff that’s going on.”

I'm fine with his answer
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if we can create our own " Trust the process" . We need something to stay positive with.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
jetfuel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of you guys on here are reading and listening way to much to the bum media guys. Just because you played does not mean you can coach or even see talent infant of you. I look at this process a totally different way than most people. Here is a short list of my thoughts.

1. Out with the old in with the new. I'm glad we had a roster change over. I was tired of fighting just to get in the playoffs let alone win a game in the playoffs.

2. I like watching the younger guys because they are usually more hungry than an old vet looking for a pay check.

3. Not everyone on this team will be bad. You will find out this year who is a building block and who can be thrown out with the trash.

4. Locker room leadership will develop. One guy will come in here and stand up and demand that we win and put 100% in this. I see Adams doing this or maybe even Hack if he catches fire early.

5. I'm excited to see the young guys play and see a very young QB come out throwing rockets all over the place. Look out Anderson he can even out throw you.

6. Hack - I see a kid who really could be a senior this year in college, that is learning how to control all his talents. He has everything a franchise QB needs. I wish he would try to work under guys like P. Manning, Brett Favre, Dan Marino. These guys had big arms just like him and learn the finer details of the game.

7. Like I said before I see a 7-9 or 8-8 season with Hack starting all the games. There is going to be injuries and changes all over the NFL in the next 5-6 months.

I leave you with this DON'T LISTEN TO THESE BONEHEAD MEDIA GUYS. When I saw the tape of the media guy saying Hack is SO BAD he is hitting reporters on the sidelines. I watched the tapes the WR short armed it and did not keep his speed through the route. That was 99% WR fault. When I saw this I just tuned out the media because they love printing bad news.
Bianconero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 10 years of being on this site, we finally get a fricken update

@yordmachine @Quietjets come back

Last edited by Bianconero on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfuel wrote:

I leave you with this DON'T LISTEN TO THESE BONEHEAD MEDIA GUYS. When I saw the tape of the media guy saying Hack is SO BAD he is hitting reporters on the sidelines. I watched the tapes the WR short armed it and did not keep his speed through the route. That was 99% WR fault. When I saw this I just tuned out the media because they love printing bad news.

There's a great article that I was sent today about Cam Newton that highlighted that big arm guys tend to look way less accurate than they are. It is because the ball has so much velocity that when it misses small, it travels wide making the pass look much farther off than it actually was.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Claiborne can stay healthy, I like the potential of our secondary. Burris, Roberts, and Williams has flashed at moments and still young enough to improve. If they all can improve, we're in great position depth wise. We just drafted Jones & Clark. It's going to be interesting.

JETS . HEAT . ATLANTA UNITED FC . UCLA/GEORGIA STATE .
Rich51

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
If Claiborne can stay healthy, I like the potential of our secondary. Burris, Roberts, and Williams has flashed at moments and still young enough to improve. If they all can improve, we're in great position depth wise. We just drafted Jones & Clark. It's going to be interesting.

I hope you're right. If so our biggest weakness on defense will be the inside linebackers. Hopefully Lee takes a big jump this year but I have no delusions about Davis or Carter. The OLBs I think will be solid, I have faith that Greene will whip them into shape. In any case we'll probably play a lot of 4-2-5 so the lack of a good ILB might not hurt too much.
NJerseypaint

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see the receivers separate themselves. We have so much competition this year with a crazy amount of young talent. Enunwa I hope comes into his own and shows he can be a true #1 and I'm excited to see if Stewart can make it into the starting lineup.
Rockice_8

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetfuel wrote:
A lot of you guys on here are reading and listening way to much to the bum media guys. Just because you played does not mean you can coach or even see talent infant of you. I look at this process a totally different way than most people. Here is a short list of my thoughts.

1. Out with the old in with the new. I'm glad we had a roster change over. I was tired of fighting just to get in the playoffs let alone win a game in the playoffs.

2. I like watching the younger guys because they are usually more hungry than an old vet looking for a pay check.

3. Not everyone on this team will be bad. You will find out this year who is a building block and who can be thrown out with the trash.

4. Locker room leadership will develop. One guy will come in here and stand up and demand that we win and put 100% in this. I see Adams doing this or maybe even Hack if he catches fire early.

5. I'm excited to see the young guys play and see a very young QB come out throwing rockets all over the place. Look out Anderson he can even out throw you.

6. Hack - I see a kid who really could be a senior this year in college, that is learning how to control all his talents. He has everything a franchise QB needs. I wish he would try to work under guys like P. Manning, Brett Favre, Dan Marino. These guys had big arms just like him and learn the finer details of the game.

7. Like I said before I see a 7-9 or 8-8 season with Hack starting all the games. There is going to be injuries and changes all over the NFL in the next 5-6 months.

This is a really solid post outside of the 7-9 or 8-8 season. We are going to be bad, we may even be the worst but that's ok if a handful of these young guys step up and show us they can play.

Guys I'm hoping flourish this year. Our new safety duo turning into the next young probowl tandem would go a long way. Lee and one of the OLB hopefully become locked in full time starters. Enunwa and Anderson grow as a unit and another young WR steps up as the 3rd guy. Hopefully C and RT can be solidified for the near future and our D-line gets sorted out with Simon becoming the next Harrison-lite. If Burris shows up and can handle outside CB duties then we will be in good shape. I actually really like what McGuire and Leggett offer and could see them pushing ASJ and Forte for snaps.

That's a lot of young talent to evaluate and even if only 50-75% of that happens we'll be better for it.

Obviously I didn't mention QB but I can't wait to see Hack's growth from last year to this year in TC. I hope he wins the job. I'm not super high on his stats for next year but if he can get close to 60% completion (high 50's I assume) and 7 ypa with more TD's than INT's I think we'd all be super thrilled with that at his age.

This season is actually going to really fun from a evaluation stand point. It won't translate to wins and we could even be getting blown out at half in a few games but if young guys develop, they play hard for Bowles and Co, and we develop that close locker room with no off the field nonsense it will be a good season.

Props to Mack on the sig
Bobby816

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WE are loaded with young players. Not sure we can say young talent. Bc only about 1/2 of them have legit good NFL takent. I don't think this is team that will be awful bc of young hungry players. I see atleast 4 wins. But the only way we get even close to a .500 season is qb play, Powell looking great and 2-3 WRs looking good. And I honestly can see none of that happening. I think we need up the qb situation. Play McCown too long, then go to Petty and then go to Hack. Really giving us no answer to Hack bc of limited time and the season being gone by the time he comes in. I can't see Powell keeping the pace he did the last few games last year. And at wr I still think Enunwa is nothing more than a solid #2. And Anderson might be the most overrated player ever in this Jets forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 85, 86, 87, 88  Next
Page 86 of 88

Jump to: