Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oakland Raiders Defense v2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
I just replied to the question about CJ potentially coming out of retirement in the Offense topic and it got me to thinking, actually our D could probably be the area that could be strengthened by a guy like Navorro Bowman. I've heard some talk of him being cut but would we possibly take a chance on a guy like this who could be just the ticket...........

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/6/3/15735438/navorro-bowman-could-be-cut-grant-cohn-rotoworld

I think if he's cut it would be a big possibility that we'll at least look at him, but what if we traded for him? He could potentially be the missing piece to a SB run..........or he could be a very expensive, oft injured, slowing ILB who severely damages our cap situation............ Laughing

If we were even gonna bark up that tree I would wait for him to be cut. We'd have the inside track as he wouldn't have to move to and would be in a position to play if he can perform. I would NOT pay him 8mil a year if he can't cover. That is our main problem in the middle.

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the lines of adding to the middle with athletic bodies...

Raiders have signed OLB Brady Sheldon
Here is some of what I could find online about him.

School: Ferris State

College Experience: Senior

Height/Weight: 6’5″ / 220

40 YARD DASH TIME :: 4.49

225 BENCH REPS :: 15

VERTICAL LENGTH :: 37

BROAD JUMP :: 10’05”

SHUTTLE :: 4.28

Scouting report:

Originally arriving at Ferris State Sheldon was looked at as a safety due to his size and ability. He kept growing over the course of his career and made the logical move to linebacker. Good football IQ and played under five different defense coordinators at Ferris State. His techniques had to change and adapt with each different philosophy that came with the changing of the guard defensively. Preferably, he excels in the 4-3 defensive scheme. It should be noted he played in a 4-2-5 “Freeze Read” defense in his final year at Ferris State. NFL Scouts may see the slight pause before he could show his typical initial instinct compared to junior tape. That was the defensive style requested by the staff which coincided with Sheldon being forced to pause before reacting. Gifted athletically, Sheldon has developed into a real rounded safety/linebacker hybrid type defensive prospect leading up to this years NFL Draft. He possesses a great size/speed ratio along with length. Sheldon does a good job closing on the ball and can deliver a hit. Good in space and has the speed get to the edges. His athleticism will simply be too much to ignore so look for Sheldon as a late-round prospect with some upside.

senior highlights
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/1331188/586fdd3a5cb3fd16d8b02c48
junior highlights
http://www.hudl.com/video/3/1331188/58728ff9c124dd0cc06a0013
Pro-day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k5r7PJwg90

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
I just replied to the question about CJ potentially coming out of retirement in the Offense topic and it got me to thinking, actually our D could probably be the area that could be strengthened by a guy like Navorro Bowman. I've heard some talk of him being cut but would we possibly take a chance on a guy like this who could be just the ticket...........

https://www.ninersnation.com/2017/6/3/15735438/navorro-bowman-could-be-cut-grant-cohn-rotoworld

I think if he's cut it would be a big possibility that we'll at least look at him, but what if we traded for him? He could potentially be the missing piece to a SB run..........or he could be a very expensive, oft injured, slowing ILB who severely damages our cap situation............ :lol:

As much as I'd love to see that I think he'd be well out of our price range - didn't play much last year but bounced back from his super bowl injury really well and when healthy is probably 2nd only to kuechly at ilb. He's also only 29. If he were cut he'd still be a hot commodity. Plus his contract was just signed and Is the 4th highest paid ilb so sf would like real stupid cutting him and that'd be a long term commitment for us.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love having him - like I said I think he's second only to kuechly and the drop off after those 2 is huge imo.... just think like I said he'd be out of our price range. He's not at all at the aging vet point in his career.

I think we're looking at a guy like derrick Johnson if he were hypothetically cut. Back end of his career, year to year deal at a discount, 1-2 year stop gap with very little baring on our long term cap situation, good leadership and still way better then what we've currently got.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys expect the defense to be different this year scheme wise? I've been wondering about this a lot.

And do you think we'll run more varied looks to try to compensate at linebacker, or nah?
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of that depends on whether the young guys can earn spots on the field.

if obi has a big role, the scheme will probably be very different, for example. if conley wins the slot spot, its different. if he wins an outside spot, it's different.
Nodisrespect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
How do you guys expect the defense to be different this year scheme wise? I've been wondering about this a lot.

And do you think we'll run more varied looks to try to compensate at linebacker, or nah?
IMO the plan is to go back to KNJ/ Seattle's cover 3/1 defense if we can. That way it minimizes the linebacker responsibilities and utilizes the speed they drafted, but if it fails like last year we go back to a combination of JDR's cover 4 and whatever Pagano runs.
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah to me obi is the big wild card. IMO in a perfect world he's basically our sub-package lb which is probably going to be the weakest spot on our defence. Having a lb that can actually cover a tight end would free up a lot for the rest of the d. If we could run that look I think we'd see a lot of 2-high safeties with Nelson and Joseph. Depending on whether Conley plays outside and how he looks we might be able to run some single high looks (smith makes single high a scary thought for us) and keep Joseph in the box where I think he's better able to use his physicality and burst. Though the other issue with that is we don't have anyone with the range to play single high and putting Nelson in that role is also a scary thought.

In a nutshell I guess the problem I'm seeing with our d on paper is the single-high.... I like obi and Joseph a lot more close to the line. Outside of those 2 we don't really have anyone with the speed and range to play deep.
Rich7sena

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

attack_in_s/b wrote:
In a nutshell I guess the problem I'm seeing with our d on paper is the single-high.... I like obi and Joseph a lot more close to the line. Outside of those 2 we don't really have anyone with the speed and range to play deep.

Joseph was better playing single high and in the box last year. I actually wish we'd see Joseph playing slot corner more like he did in college, but I doubt that happens with both Conley and Carrie on the roster.

I like Obi in both single high and box positions. I think it makes sense to play 3 safeties if the staff is up for it.
drfrey13

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Nelson was in Cinci did they have problems giving up big plays, did they put their corners on an island, or did everything function well? What I am trying figure out is are the problems with Nelson from a declining player, scheme change, lack of communication, or our coaches have no clue? I hope it is being in an unfimilar scheme and new players. Hopefully we can see this secondary come together and play well. We have the talent even if you remove Nelson and Smith but then we will see some growing pains with Obi and Conley.
Rolni

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

attack_in_s/b wrote:

I actually think Joseph is a better fit as a single high in he NFL.
I would move him to single high and put Obi in the box and on TE's. Use Nelson as well as a ball hawk deep guy next to Karl in passing situations.
Mr.Bob Dobalina

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a realistic shot Aldon Smith gets Reinstated before the season.? Nothing came of that incident a couple months ago. I mean it's been over a year since that was supposedly him in the Video smoking a Blount.
big_palooka

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:
Is there a realistic shot Aldon Smith gets Reinstated before the season.? Nothing came of that incident a couple months ago. I mean it's been over a year since that was supposedly him in the Video smoking a Blount.

Guessing the answer is no. No news lately about him. Last reports were he's not following the program for NFL re-instatement. Rumor was he'd have a really good week, then more of the same for him after.

Doubt he ever plays a game for Oakland again

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Mr.Bob Dobalina wrote:

Guessing the answer is no. No news lately about him. Last reports were he's not following the program for NFL re-instatement. Rumor was he'd have a really good week, then more of the same for him after.

Doubt he ever plays a game for Oakland again

If that's the case what a straight up clown he is
agarcia34

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up hope of Aldon ever playing football again. Just doesn't seem like he will get reinstated. Maybe he's not doing what he needs to do. Sad such a great talent waisted by poor decisions.
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you guys think our base/nickel defense will look like. IMO, I'm wondering how we plan on keeping Mack, Irvin, and Mario in "rush" type of roles as opposed to having them drop in coverage.

4-3 under kinda thing?

Also, with MEJ losing some weight and planning to play at 280, is he trying to emulate Michael Bennett? Because I swear he played more pure defensive tackle during his rookie year, but I could be mistaken.

Personally, I feel like Vanderdoes and Mario are gonna form a pretty decent tandem inside. I think Vanderdoes builds off his senior bowl and gets a lot of snaps inside early. He anchors very well.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: