You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Carr VS Mariota
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carr vs Mariota
Carr
72%
 72%  [ 40 ]
Mariota
27%
 27%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 55

marshallplan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the best insightful interviews from the experience of a young QB in the NFL as you'll ever see-

Derek Carr is going to win a SB in the next 5 years... Dude has that "it" factor in him

I'd venture to guess there's 25 teams in the NFL that would trade their current QB straight up for Derek Carr...

Great interview-

https://twitter.com/RaiderPosts/status/886013355420401664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fraiderswire.usatoday.com%2F2017%2F07%2F15%2Fraiders-derek-carr-uses-different-philosophy-than-other-quarterbacks%2F
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marshallplan wrote:
This is one of the best insightful interviews from the experience of a young QB in the NFL as you'll ever see-

Derek Carr is going to win a SB in the next 5 years... Dude has that "it" factor in him

I'd venture to guess there's 25 teams in the NFL that would trade their current QB straight up for Derek Carr...

Great interview-

https://twitter.com/RaiderPosts/status/886013355420401664?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fraiderswire.usatoday.com%2F2017%2F07%2F15%2Fraiders-derek-carr-uses-different-philosophy-than-other-quarterbacks%2F

Don't get me wrong, it's a great interview. But to call Carr a top 5 qb is premature. Sure, he could end up even better than that, but I'd say there are established guys who deserve to be in front.

Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and Ben all have resumes to be ahead of him. After that, Luck, Wilson, Rivers have a good case (mainly years). Maybe one, or a few of Stafford, Cam, a few others. I'd put him around 8 or 9 ish.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
///mcompact

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
marshallplan wrote:

Great interview-

Don't get me wrong, it's a great interview. But to call Carr a top 5 qb is premature. Sure, he could end up even better than that, but I'd say there are established guys who deserve to be in front.

Rodgers, Brady, Brees, and Ben all have resumes to be ahead of him. After that, Luck, Wilson, Rivers have a good case (mainly years). Maybe one, or a few of Stafford, Cam, a few others. I'd put him around 8 or 9 ish.

Hot dog! Took 10 pages to find a down to earth Raider fan. Kudos to you, Sir!
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

///mcompact wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
marshallplan wrote:

Great interview-

Hot dog! Took 10 pages to find a down to earth Raider fan. Kudos to you, Sir!

I mean honestly, you can love your own player, but also objectively rank/view him.

But yeah, i try to keep it real. It's hard being a delusional homer 365 days a year anyway.
Carr is 22-25,no playoff games, I'd take Flacco over him.To me it seems like Flacco is just where he belongs. Behind the Brady, Roethlisberger,Rivers,Rodgers,Wilson and ahead of Carr,Tannehill,Cousins,Palmer,Dalton,Luck
Danand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:

I don't really care at all about arm talent, but sure it's nice to have I guess

... efficiency numbers don't lie.

TitanLegend wrote:
His deep ball is decent, not elite.

I mean, even if you want to go off of on the field play, like almost everyone who posts here, it's clear you haven't watched Carr. So I mean, any debating I do with you from this point forward is essentially useless, if you can't acknowledge something like Carr's deep ball being among the best in the league.

And I can't argue about traits at the qb position because you don't even care about arm talent. You just look at numbers.

This TitanLegend guy does a much much better job at proving your constant bias and nitpickering in statistics too suit your arguments, than I do.

Once you had to argue again someone who posts stats you don't agree with, you come up with this "well arm talent... Carr better, rarh rarh rarh"
MrOaktown_56

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:

TitanLegend wrote:

I mean, even if you want to go off of on the field play, like almost everyone who posts here, it's clear you haven't watched Carr. So I mean, any debating I do with you from this point forward is essentially useless, if you can't acknowledge something like Carr's deep ball being among the best in the league.

And I can't argue about traits at the qb position because you don't even care about arm talent. You just look at numbers.

This TitanLegend guy does a much much better job at proving your constant bias and nitpickering in statistics too suit your arguments, than I do.

Once you had to argue again someone who posts stats you don't agree with, you come up with this "well arm talent... Carr better, rarh rarh rarh"

I wasn't troubled by the statistics I pointed out. I was troubled by the fact that he doesn't care about arm talent when evaluating a quarterback. It's extremely important.

He was referring to YPA as troublesome, I was explaining the context behind it and pointed out why he had an average YPA:
-Intentionally designed conservative plays on 3rd and long, we had a lot of them, as the Raiders were first in the league in offensive penalites.That means a lot of 3rd and long. Running these kind of plays led to the Raiders having the best/2nd best turnover +- in the NFL and winning 12 games.
-2nd in the NFL in drops, 2nd most air yards lost behind rodgers. These things affect your YPA.

are any of those facts biased?

Carr had an exceptional touchdown to interception ratio, was 8th in passer rating, was great in the 4th quarter, for game winning drives, etc. Carr is 4th all time in touchdown to interception ratio. There is cause to think he can continue to grow as a passer, again see my analysis of the colts game.

I then went on to explain why I think he's better than the numbers, which is my own take, but I tried to back it up by breaking down some throws from the Colts game. Feel free to actually read my post on it:

Quote:
HTTRG3Dynasty wrote:

Sorry man, but this seems like confirmation bias based on what you expect the players to be because of what you've seen/heard in the media or based on draft status, etc., instead what you actually see with unbiased eyes.

If it's that hard to pinpoint what makes Carr better on film, I don't know how you can say he is CLEARLY better. Even people in general just saying that he's better (without the CLEARLY) seems more like a narrative that no one bothers challenging.

I'm not gonna downgrade cousins, but I can give you some of the reasons why people are marking Carr down as the next big thing:

I can give you some examples just from his last game against the colts, and some more general ones:

Colts game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7OFpcoJ4kk
Ball placement: The throw at :21 is a fantastic touch throw. The defender has decent coverage, but he puts the ball in the perfect spot. The throw at :41 is easily one of the top 5 throws of the year for me in terms of accuracy. He literally drops it in the bucket. Unreal ball placement with no separation. The throw at 1:10 is a routine deep out with 40 yards in the air which hits Cooper in stride.

Intelligence: at 1:32, pause the clip and see 3 defenders being blocked by 3 raiders receivers with 3 linebackers chasing, all reasonably far away from the ball. Carr recognized the coverage and changed the play presnap, signalling richard out for a quick screen resulting in a touchdown.

Some common complaints about Carr and why they are often wrong:

"He benefits from a lot of YAC": in terms of numbers, yes. But the context is missing. See some of those deeper throws up there? Defenses fear Carr's ability to push the ball down field and as a result will open up underneath throws. Almost every qb in the league will take a checkdown for 5-15 guaranteed yards over taking a deep shot into coverage. He also audibles a lot of these plays.

"He always has a clean pocket": Yes, he isn't pressured all that often, but he's been shown to be very hard to sack and very elusive in terms of being sacked under pressure (http://raiderswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/01/raiders-derek-carr-nfls-third-most-elusive-qb-in-2016/). Funny enough, cousins and him are tied for sack percentage under pressure.

Watch this: https://twitter.com/NFL/status/780117589829627904?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Foak.247sports.com%2FBolt%2FWATCH-Derek-Carr-escapes-rush-completes-crazy-play-to-Crabtree-47771078

"His YPA and completion percentage aren't high enough":

Carr suffered from a ridiculous number of drops. If you don't believe me, look it up. His PFF air yards lost were the most of any qb to drops, and that doesn't even look at touchdowns lost to feet not being in bounds, dropped touchdowns, or missed YAC opportunities. If you adjust Carr's drops to league average, which I did a few months back, his passer rating increases by a fair margin.

"He struggled in some big games": KC has always been a matchup problem for him, as has cold weather. But he played the last 4/5 games of the season with a broken pinkie so i can't entirely blame him for a lower level of play.

So all in all, with Carr you have:
A qb just entering into his 4th year
Has shown marked improvement in each year
Top 5 arm talent (not strength) in the NFL
Great intangibles and 4th quarter performances
Very underrated pocket maneuverability/elusiveness
Highly intelligent, able to exploit coverages presnap
Has gone against very tough schedules throughout his career.

Carr had the 2nd highest passer rating on deep balls in the AFC behind Brady so to say that his deep ball is "decent" simply isn't true. Is that statistic biased?

And if you look at the context of the argument, I was saying that you can't judge a quarterback's development based on their first 2-3 years in the league. Quarterbacks don't often hit their prime until their 5th or 6th year, which has been backed up by historical precedent with many starting quarterbacks today. Look at the efficiency metrics of most starting quarterbacks and you'll see that it's true. Is that biased?
Breesus mode

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danand wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
TitanLegend wrote:

TitanLegend wrote:

Except, as he pointed out, the stats came form a highly subjective and biased source.
you missed a bowl game at the end of your season
daineraider

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wont compare the two as Mariota is 2.5 years younger and hasnt played year 3 yet in his career. Both QBs have a chance to be top 5 QBs in the future, but neither are there yet. For those that are questioning Carr's ability as a franchise QB obviously havent watched much of him or followed his progress thru his first 3 years. Ill post a few stats that show me that Carr is well on his way to being a top QB and if you dont agree, great.

Carrs stats through 3 seasons

1st year: 3270 yds 21 TD 12 INT YPA 5.5 Comp% 58.1 Record 3-13
2nd year: 3987 yds 32 TD 13 INT YPA 7.0 Comp% 61.1 Record 7-9
3rd year: 3937 yds 28 TD 6 INT YPA 7.0 Comp% 63.8 Record 12-3

So through 3 years he improved in every stat every year other than the YPA stayed the same year 2-3. His QB rating has also improved each year since entering the league. This is also the same franchise that had a losing culture and hadnt had a winning season since 2002. He was thrown in as a rookie and had a pretty rough season record wise. His progress through his first 3 years is impressive considering the team that we had just 2 seasons ago. He has helped turn the Raiders into a winner(albeit only for 1 season thus far). He is 3rd in TDs thru the first 3 seasons of any QBs in the history of the NFL. He happens to be behind only Dan Marino 98, Peyton Manning 85 and then Derek Carr at 81.

Not saying he will be Tom Brady, but Tom Bradys first 3 years(of playing, year 1 he sat on the bench) were quite similar to Carrs stat wise.(Im only comparing stats because of some of the arguments in the thread)

Year 1: 2843 yds 18 TD 12 INT YPA 6.9 Comp% 63.9
Year 2: 3764 yds 28 TD 14 INT YPA 6.3 Comp% 62.1
Year 3: 3620 yds 23 TD 12 INT YPA 6.9 Comp% 60.2

So outside of Carrs first year his YPA was higher than Bradys, higher QB rating, more TDs, less INTs etc etc. Once again, No I am not saying Carr will be or is better than Tom Brady by any means. Tom Brady has also thrown for less that 7 YPA 6 times in his career(for those knocking Carrs stats). Carr is only entering his 4th season and he hasnt shown any reason why he wouldnt continue to progress and improve. He still has a few years before he is even going to reach his peak potential.

Drew Brees also started off similar to Carr. First 2 seasons(that he played as his rookie season he didnt play) he struggled with a 6.2 YPA and 5.9 YPA his second season with 31 INTs in his first 2 season. Brees' 3rd season was similar to Carrs third with 27 TD 7 INT(he did have a higher YPA with 7.9).

I can keep going with QBs that started off similarly to Carr that are HOF QBs. Peyton Manning had way more INTs with similar amount of TDs, Philip Rivers didnt start until his 3rd year, but also had similar stats. I could go on, but I was only going off of stats because of the arguments above. Stats mean a decent amount, but context needs to be added to see how good or bad they really are. Carr was handed one of the worst situations for a QB to have to take over. A franchise that was the laughing stock of the NFL for over a decade. With that Reggie also had one of the worst Cap situations in the NFL and wasnt able to bring in many quality FA's to help out. James Jones was Carrs #1 WR as a rookie. For those that have watched Carr the last 3 years, they have seen him progress in just about every facet of the game. Better/faster reads, quicker release, better pocket movement etc. Carr isnt a top 5 QB in this league, yet. He will be within a year or two.

Joe_is_the_best at making sigs
Breesus mode

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daineraider wrote:
I wont compare the two as Mariota is 2.5 years younger and hasnt played year 3 yet in his career. Both QBs have a chance to be top 5 QBs in the future, but neither are there yet. For those that are questioning Carr's ability as a franchise QB obviously havent watched much of him or followed his progress thru his first 3 years. Ill post a few stats that show me that Carr is well on his way to being a top QB and if you dont agree, great.

Carrs stats through 3 seasons

1st year: 3270 yds 21 TD 12 INT YPA 5.5 Comp% 58.1 Record 3-13
2nd year: 3987 yds 32 TD 13 INT YPA 7.0 Comp% 61.1 Record 7-9
3rd year: 3937 yds 28 TD 6 INT YPA 7.0 Comp% 63.8 Record 12-3

So through 3 years he improved in every stat every year other than the YPA stayed the same year 2-3. His QB rating has also improved each year since entering the league. This is also the same franchise that had a losing culture and hadnt had a winning season since 2002. He was thrown in as a rookie and had a pretty rough season record wise. His progress through his first 3 years is impressive considering the team that we had just 2 seasons ago. He has helped turn the Raiders into a winner(albeit only for 1 season thus far). He is 3rd in TDs thru the first 3 seasons of any QBs in the history of the NFL. He happens to be behind only Dan Marino 98, Peyton Manning 85 and then Derek Carr at 81.

Not saying he will be Tom Brady, but Tom Bradys first 3 years(of playing, year 1 he sat on the bench) were quite similar to Carrs stat wise.(Im only comparing stats because of some of the arguments in the thread)

Year 1: 2843 yds 18 TD 12 INT YPA 6.9 Comp% 63.9
Year 2: 3764 yds 28 TD 14 INT YPA 6.3 Comp% 62.1
Year 3: 3620 yds 23 TD 12 INT YPA 6.9 Comp% 60.2

So outside of Carrs first year his YPA was higher than Bradys, higher QB rating, more TDs, less INTs etc etc. Once again, No I am not saying Carr will be or is better than Tom Brady by any means. Tom Brady has also thrown for less that 7 YPA 6 times in his career(for those knocking Carrs stats). Carr is only entering his 4th season and he hasnt shown any reason why he wouldnt continue to progress and improve. He still has a few years before he is even going to reach his peak potential.

Drew Brees also started off similar to Carr. First 2 seasons(that he played as his rookie season he didnt play) he struggled with a 6.2 YPA and 5.9 YPA his second season with 31 INTs in his first 2 season. Brees' 3rd season was similar to Carrs third with 27 TD 7 INT(he did have a higher YPA with 7.9).

I can keep going with QBs that started off similarly to Carr that are HOF QBs. Peyton Manning had way more INTs with similar amount of TDs, Philip Rivers didnt start until his 3rd year, but also had similar stats. I could go on, but I was only going off of stats because of the arguments above. Stats mean a decent amount, but context needs to be added to see how good or bad they really are. Carr was handed one of the worst situations for a QB to have to take over. A franchise that was the laughing stock of the NFL for over a decade. With that Reggie also had one of the worst Cap situations in the NFL and wasnt able to bring in many quality FA's to help out. James Jones was Carrs #1 WR as a rookie. For those that have watched Carr the last 3 years, they have seen him progress in just about every facet of the game. Better/faster reads, quicker release, better pocket movement etc. Carr isnt a top 5 QB in this league, yet. He will be within a year or two.

Tom Brady's first few years came vefore the rule changes in 2004, ditto for Brees and Peyton
Bobikus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breesus mode wrote:

Tom Brady's first few years came vefore the rule changes in 2004, ditto for Brees and Peyton

YPA's inflated a bit less than the other stats. Brady's Y/A+ in his 2nd and 3rd years in the league (not playing his rookie year) were 103 and 90, compared to 94 and 96 for Carr.

Even era-adjusted the numbers aren't too far apart consider Brady was on an SB-winning team that had been in the SB 5 years before he started and their only recent losing season was 5-11 in BB's first year. Carr on the other hand came to a team that was coming off of two straight 4-12 seasons and 11 straight non-winning seasons.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
Breesus mode wrote:

YPA's inflated a bit less than the other stats. Brady's Y/A+ in his 2nd and 3rd years in the league (not playing his rookie year) were 103 and 90, compared to 94 and 96 for Carr.

Even era-adjusted the numbers aren't too far apart consider Brady was on an SB-winning team that had been in the SB 5 years before he started and their only recent losing season was 5-11 in BB's first year. Carr on the other hand came to a team that was coming off of two straight 4-12 seasons and 11 straight non-winning seasons.

Which ones? Because I find that highly dubious. And regardless, my point was you can't compare Carr's Rookie year to Brady, Brees or Peyton's rookie years considering the rule changes.
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a plethora of good young QBs in the league right now. But Carr is clearly the cream of the crop. He's the only one who's put up an MVP caliber year so far in his career. Can we stop comparing him to other young QBs until at least one more produces to the same level he has? It's pointless. You just get one-sided polls like this.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Breesus mode wrote:
Bobikus wrote:
Breesus mode wrote:

Which ones? Because I find that highly dubious. And regardless, my point was you can't compare Carr's Rookie year to Brady, Brees or Peyton's rookie years considering the rule changes.

For Brady's 2nd and 3rd year in the league vs Carr's (because one played as a rookie and the other didnt):

First row Brady, second row Carr, using prefs' Advanced Passing Stats, which compare a player to the surrounding years
Code:

YPA+ NYPA+ AYPA+ ANYA+ Comp%+ TD%+ INT%+ Sack%+ Rate+
96.5 97.5 103.5 103.5 113.5 108.5 110 98.5 110.5
95  101.5 103.5 108.5   98  110.5 112  117 106

Brady's YPA is slightly higher, and his Comp% is far higher, which leads to a moderately higher Rating. Carr however has a better TD% and INT%, with a much better Sack rate (which isn't put into rating). Their Adjusted YPA is identical.

They're at most within half a standard deviation of each other in every stat except Comp% where Brady is far better and Sack% where Carr is far better.

Therefore, they're statistically very close in their early years when taking into account the change in era.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
There's a plethora of good young QBs in the league right now. But Carr is clearly the cream of the crop. He's the only one who's put up an MVP caliber year so far in his career. Can we stop comparing him to other young QBs until at least one more produces to the same level he has? It's pointless. You just get one-sided polls like this.

Not true at all considering the years that Mariota and Prescott had last season too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobikus wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:

Not true at all considering the years that Mariota and Prescott had last season too.

No, they had good years last year too. I don't agree with the "can't compare" thing. Also, they're both very young so its hard to say exactly what will happen until a few years have passed at the very least.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that Carr was asked to do more than both those guys on a weekly basis and it's pushed him toward greatness, slowly but surely because he's been improving parts of his game each and every year because he's been asked to really take command of the offense. That being said, both could take larger roles in their respective offenses next year and play lights out ball, and Mariota/Prescott could be getting the same, if not or more, media hype than Carr is right now.

Next year, he'll have more power to check in and out of any play he wants and hopefully he'll show the greatest growth in his career yet. It's also hard to say if his 4th quarter ability is sustainable/will apply to the postseason, but if it does, that will also bode well for his future.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: