Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Position Battle Predictions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Position Battle Predictions Reply with quote

Here we are, two-and-a-half weeks from the start of training camp and I figured it would be a good time to make our predictions on some of our team's position battles. Who do you think wins the starting job at these positions and why?

Quarterback - Trevor Siemian / Paxton Lynch

Left Tackle - Ty Sambrailo / Garrett Bolles / Donald Stephenson

#3 Wide Receiver - Carlos Henderson / Jordan Taylor / Bennie Fowler / Cody Latimer

Weakside Defensive End - Jared Crick / Adam Gotsis / Zach Kerr

Nose Tackle - Domata Peko / Kyle Peko / Tyrique Jarrett

#4 Cornerback - Brendan Langley / Lorenzo Doss / Chris Lewis-Harris

bhslinebacker wrote:
AAA is right, as he usually is.
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am hoping Kerr is a Darian Stewart kind of signing...everything we hate about the signing turns into a rare gem.
broncos67

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB- Lynch. I think it's close, but I just get the feeling the momentum within the building is really pointing in his direction. I personally like Siemian and believe he can become something good, but draft capital speaks volumes.

LT- Garrett Bolles. He was already getting 1st team reps. The Broncos don't have the luxury to not play him. Unless he's beyond awful, I think he'll probably get the nod.

#3WR- I actually think from a depth chart perspective it's going to be Latimer. Latimer is a ST ace, and he has the size to be akin to Thomas (at least in terms of build and receiver profile, certainly not talent) should Thomas go down. I think in practicality, Henderson will get more snaps because he's a more dynamic weapon.

NT- Domata Peko and it's not even a question.

#4CB- Lorenzo Doss if only because he's familiar with the system. Langley will probably be #5 and if he's active could be a ST guy given his proficiency there right now. Lewis-Harris is a wild-card because there's some familiarity with him already but this is a tough group, and Doss being around should give him the upper hand.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting the sense, too, that the nod at QB is starting to steer towards Lynch. I think Siemien, now, has to blow-up in a big way to re-take his job.
BroncoBruin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB - Lynch

This really looks like a 50-50 battle going into camp but it seems like every advantage will be given to Lynch from the top down. He's a good fit for this offense especially with new read-option looks (thanks Will Parks) and second year jumps tend to be pretty big.

LT - Bolles

This is about done. Should be finished quickly, Bolles is just a special athlete who will have an up and down rookie year but offers more upside even right now.

3WR - Henderson

This may not happen out of the gate but he's easily the best fit of the receivers on the roster for the slot so while I expect either Latimer or Fowler to start out getting those reps but by midseason I think Henderson is playing half the offensive snaps.

NT - Peko

Peko and Kerr will rotate to his spot when he's off the field. Pretty straight forward here.

4CB - Lorenzo Doss

Experience is everything here. Doss has routinely stood out in practice for the past couple years and played significant snaps at several points last year. Langley is just too raw to see the field on this defense right now, for now he needs to develop into a STs replacement for Webster.
BroncosFan2010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QB - Trevor Siemian
LT - Garrett Bolles
3WR - Jordan Taylor
4CB - Lorenzo Doss
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one wants to predict the WDE spot?

bhslinebacker wrote:
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mention Kerr AAA. I am going Kerr at WDE.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you mean to start Week 1 initially or eventually (later on) in 2017?

QB - initially I think it's likely Siemian. Lynch will get every chance to catch Siemian for sure, and if it's a dead heat, Lynch would get the edge, but if it's off 4+ weeks of training camp, hard to project that leap.

LT - Bolles, frankly out of necessity short-term, and long-term the best of our bunch.

WR3 - Taylor initially, for similar reasons as Siemian. C-Henderson is clearly the long-term guy, but learning the playbook and reads, takes time for most rookie WR's. If C-Henderson is our starting slot WR even by the halfway mark of the reg. season, that's a great result.

LDE - Kerr is the choice, if he isn't needed at NT. Peko's age/mileage, that's an issue with altitude. If Kerr is needed inside, man, toss a 3-sided coin between Crick/Gotsis/Winn.

NT - Peko to start, but I expect Jarrett/Kerr to be the main guy by the time the home stretch is here (and even early on for home games we'll need a NT rotation). Jarrett is the best shot UDFA to make the 53-man roster IMO.

CB4 - Doss. Figure it's going to be a redshirt year for Langley, albeit on the 53-man roster.
broncos67

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnAngryAmerican wrote:

Lol totally glossed over that. Blame the fact that I was at work when I posted.

I would say Kerr. I'm not convinced Crick is even making the team, and Gotsis had an injury so he's probably behind. Now, I don't think Kerr is particularly good, but he's healthy and exists, so that alone probably guarantees him a starting job.

Thanks, Tzimisce
jsthomp2007

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
AnAngryAmerican wrote:

Lol totally glossed over that. Blame the fact that I was at work when I posted.

I would say Kerr. I'm not convinced Crick is even making the team, and Gotsis had an injury so he's probably behind. Now, I don't think Kerr is particularly good, but he's healthy and exists, so that alone probably guarantees him a starting job.

I hope I am totally wrong, and all that mass Gotsis put on helps him become what they thought he would become...whatever Kolar saw in...not sure...but hope it happens.
AnAngryAmerican

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might as well go on the record here. I didn't have time when I created the post.

QB: I think it's a coin-flip honestly, but I think it ends up being Siemian. Lynch's upside is higher but McCoy's offense is about dink-and-dunk passing and lots of screens. It means the QB has to be able to diagnose coverages and make pre-snap reads, that's an advantage for Siemian. Lynch's strengths - athleticism and a strong arm - are not what are required in this offense. Now, that is assuming that McCoy runs his McDaniels-esque (and I'm not using that term pejoratively) offense, if Musgrave influences things enough that they opt for more a stretch the field "gun-slinger" offense then I think Lynch has more of a chance.

LT: At this point I think it's almost a lock to be Bolles. I have my doubts about him and I foresee a rough rookie year but both Ty and Stephenson have shown nothing that leads to me think they will impress enough at camp to overtake someone with whom the front office is clearly enamored.

3WR: I would wager that by the end of the year it's Henderson, his talent is pretty incredible and he can do so many different things, but I think we will see something of a platoon for the first half of the season.

RDE: I really am not wild about any of our options here and I think run defense is an area where the team had major needs that it failed to address in the offseason, just like at the other ILB spot next to Marshall. However, I think Kerr plays on run downs and Walker comes in in the "NASCAR" package on -and long situations. I would really like to see Gotsis live up to his potential as I see him having a ceiling of Derek Wolfe but I'm not sure it's going to happen this year. I think this is the ultimate platoon position on the team, we will see just about everyone imaginable at it.

NT: As I mentioned in my post about the beers I had with the Broncos beat writer, Domata Peko was brought in at least in part on account of his leadership and his role as a "glue guy" to replace the void Ware's retirement left. I don't think he brings much to the team on the field but he will likely play the role of the starting NT. I think we see something of a platoon here too. I think Jarrett ends up being the long-term answer at the position, he's already impressed in OTAs and will likely grow quickly with Kolar's coaching.

4CB: I think it ends up being Chris Lewis-Harris. For some reason they felt they needed a veteran in that spot. I think Langley was drafted for his long-term potential and I see him being a major ST contributor this year but eventually growing into the #3 CB role when Talib leaves. I think we keep 6 CBs and all three of the guys in competition for the #4 CB spot make the team.

bhslinebacker wrote:
OrangeNBlue86#2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the qb battle goes, if the broncos are serious about the playoffs and competing this year they need to start seimian if the battle is close. If he falls to look like he can get us to the playoffs, the team can switch pretty quickly to lynch. Even if lynch fails in that situation you can blame trevor for the slow start. But if you start lynch, I think the team has to stick by him even if he sucks because he was a first round pick. Going from lynch to Trevor would say we messed up with our first round pick and he would be a lame duck for 2 more seasons of his contract.
fattlipp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the RB's

Anderson - Cut

Booker
Charles (3rd down back)
Henderson
BroncoSojia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fattlipp wrote:
What about the RB's

Anderson - Cut

Booker
Charles (3rd down back)
Henderson

We're not going to cut Anderson. Laughing He's our best back.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: