You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Fox Sports Ranks 1991 Redskins As The Greatest SB Team

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtle28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Fox Sports Ranks 1991 Redskins As The Greatest SB Team Reply with quote

Fox Sports Ranks 1991 Redskins As The Greatest Super Bowl Team Ever

http://www.redskins.com/news/blog/article-1/Fox-Sports-Ranks-1991-Redskins-As-The-Greatest-Super-Bowl-Team-Ever/a09e8a49-d799-4f9b-b412-61cf3b8299de‬

Quote:
Chase called the 1991 Redskins "the most underrated team in NFL history," and went on to explain why.

"You can throw out any number of stats to prove the point (the playoff margin of victory - 102-27 in competitive, non-garbage time play - is a good one) but the most telling is the 43 sack ratio," Chase said. "(Redskins quarterback Mark) Rypien was sacked seven times in the season and it wasn't like Gibbs was running the quick-drop, West Coast offense."

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DCRED

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That year watching football was the best football year of my life. I saved local news articles like the Win over ATL 56-17 for Years.

Was like the team set the Cruise Control for Win It All
Then did it in glourious fashion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DCRED wrote:
That year watching football was the best football year of my life. I saved local news articles like the Win over ATL 56-17 for Years.

Was like the team set the Cruise Control for Win It All
Then did it in glourious fashion.

Yeah, watching that team that year feels almost surreal now. To think we came extremely close to an undefeated season and we literally rolled over pretty much everyone (starting with the Lions in Week 1). Its one reason that, for all his faults, I have a warm place in my heart for Casserly.

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/31726/redskins-1991-team-deserving-of-top-billing-over-last-three-decades

Quote:
They lacked a catchy moniker -- the Hogs were still around, but going on 10 years -- or a player who grabbed everyone's attention for his greatness. There was no Joe Montana or Tom Brady; so the 1991 Washington Redskins sometimes get shorted when it comes to recognition.

They shouldn't be overlooked and Football Outsiders shows why. In fact, they even called it an easy decision in naming them the best teamInsider over the past three decades. After all, only this Redskins team produced an offense, defense and special teams that were ranked among the 30 best over the past 30 years....

...The Redskins had one of the game's best-ever coaches in Joe Gibbs, who is in the Hall of Fame. They had good players all over the place, some of whom played great. The whole of this team was better than the sum of its parts. They had three future Hall of Fame players, but eight made the Pro Bowl that season. Two were named All-Pro. Of the Pro Bowlers, only corner Darrell Green made it to Canton (receiver Art Monk and guard Russ Grimm also made it there from this team).

"We had tremendous depth," said Charley Casserly, the general manager of that team, "and a Hall of Fame coaching staff and it starts with them. I have to emphasize that."

That depth was evident at receiver, where Ricky Sanders was their No. 3, behind Monk and Gary Clark. Sanders once set a Super Bowl record with 193 yards receiving after the 1987 season and finished his career with 483 receptions.

"Clark to me is Andre Reed," Casserly said. "He's not better than Gary Clark and he's in the Hall of Fame."

At running back, they used a combination of Earnest Byner (1,048 yards) and Gerald Riggs (11 touchdowns) and Ricky Ervins (680 yards; 4.7 per carry). And they had depth along the line; in a game against Houston, the Redskins lost both starting tackles. So at left tackle they used Grimm, who is in the Hall of Fame as a guard and was a backup in '91. They inserted a one-time first-round pick, Mark Adickes, on the right side. Those two shut down the Oilers' top ends, William Fuller and Sean Jones.

The Redskins could have finished as the NFL's best scoring offense and stingiest defense. But in the season finale, they pulled their starters at halftime and Philadelphia rallied for a 24-22 win; the Redskins finished with the No. 2 scoring defense instead. The Redskins' other loss: a three-point defeat to Dallas. Conceivably, a couple of plays prevented them from an undefeated season...

...Of the Redskins' 17 wins that season, 12 were by double digits. During the postseason, they outscored the opposition 102-41...

So yeah...remember that Grimm, a future HOF'er, was a BACKUP that season

As long as Dan Snyder owns the team, the Redskins will not win another Super Bowl
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the best time that I remember being a Redskins fan. I was in the 6th grade when they won it all. It's amazing how in consistent we've been over the last two and a half decades compared to how consistent we were in the 70s and 80s. Sad

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FosterTheSkins

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I wish I was around to have seen this squad. I've watched highlights and documentaries of them, but it's not the same as actually being there. Crying or Very sad

Thanks to Mike23MD for the Sig
HTTRG3Dynasty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Football Outsiders ranked the 91 Redskins as the greatest team in the last 30 years... and by a huge margin.

mike23md on the sig
PSID412

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That team was the reason why I'm a Redskins fan today. My first year of watching NFL highlights was that team and it was just so impressive I became a fan.

^ Awesome sig by Mike23md
Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FosterTheSkins wrote:
Man, I wish I was around to have seen this squad. I've watched highlights and documentaries of them, but it's not the same as actually being there. Crying or Very sad

I was 22 that year. Imagine still being in college...of legal drinking age...when we won it all.

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaiphoon wrote:
FosterTheSkins wrote:

I was 22 that year. Imagine still being in college...of legal drinking age...when we won it all.
I have to image you were never sober! Laughing

Thaiphoon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtle28 wrote:
Thaiphoon wrote:
FosterTheSkins wrote:

I have to image you were never sober! Laughing

In classes, sober. On Sundays? Nope

Woz

Location: in a land where the furniture folds to a much smaller size
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FosterTheSkins wrote:

It's one of the greatest travesties of this sport that the '91 Redskins don't get more attention.

In 16 games, Mark Rypien attempted 421 passes. He was sacked just SEVEN times. I have said repeatedly that Rypien could have set up tea with the Queen of England in that backfield, told Her Majesty to excuse him for a moment, stand up, and throw a dart to Monk, Clark, or Sanders.

I realize that those 421 attempts don't look like much these days. Gibbs was INCREDIBLY run-first, so that was a high flying offense like you wouldn't believe.
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
FosterTheSkins wrote:

It's one of the greatest travesties of this sport that the '91 Redskins don't get more attention.

In 16 games, Mark Rypien attempted 421 passes. He was sacked just SEVEN times. I have said repeatedly that Rypien could have set up tea with the Queen of England in that backfield, told Her Majesty to excuse him for a moment, stand up, and throw a dart to Monk, Clark, or Sanders.

I realize that those 421 attempts don't look like much these days. Gibbs was INCREDIBLY run-first, so that was a high flying offense like you wouldn't believe.

Well stated Woz

As a season ticket holder by far the best season

Best owner, head coach, best assistants- three paid more that several NFL head coaches, Rypien, lachey, byner, Riggs, jumpy with his forklift pass rush moves and too slow and unatlteric Brad Edwards quarterbacking the Marshall Mann defense. Well deserved recognition!

My favorite game was the playoff games against the Glanvil falcons in a terrible rain storm ( I bought one beer and it kept filling up all game long lol) and watching those loudmouth punks and MC Hammer get their tails kicked redskins style ( ran over you, punished you, threw over you, and went about our business)

Lessons can be learned from this? Sure!
An owner who pays top dollar for the best of the best coaching staff not determines success by hiring losers and counting how many nickels and dimes he can chisel from the working man. This roster isn't near the most talented- it was used and coached to maximize all strengths and minimize weaknesses. Oh forgot about monte and B Mitch. Good times
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woz wrote:
FosterTheSkins wrote:

I think the problem with the 91 Redskins is that they were just a 1 year wonder. If Rypien hadn't gotten hurt and they had won another super bowl or two with Rypien in the mid 90s then they'd get more love but most people who aren't Redskins fans - and even most Redskins fans born in the late 80s & after - forget or don't realize how good the team was because their success was not sustained.

It's really a damn shame Rypien hurt his knee and was never the same and we had traded away Humphries who may have led us to the super bowl like he did Chargers. Then, Heath Shuler didn't work out. And, it's an even greater shame that we didn't keep Trent Green. Then, on top of that they didn't keep Brad Johnson after trading so much to get him in 99 and he went on to win a super bowl. Crap, and then they didn't draft Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers when they had the chance! Trading for Brunnell, trading up to draft Campbell, trading for McNabb and trading up to get Griffin!

My lord! What a total failure in front office/personnel decisions with the qb position for 25 years.

The whole mid & late 90s and 2000s has been just a total screw up in the decisions we made/didn't make with keeping Qbs and sadly we seem to be doing it all over again with Kirk. I hope not, but it appears so.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: