You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Try to be unbiased

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
32houchen32

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:00 pm    Post subject: Try to be unbiased Reply with quote

Ed Reed

Brian Dawkins

Troy polamalu

Who do you give the edge to?

Dawkins had a longest career. I feel he was a better leader then ed and Troy. Has better career stats(outside INTS with reed).

Ed blows both out of the water with his coverage skills and scoring ability. Which in a passing league is highly valued.

Steelers had great players in the front 7. But when Troy missed games, our overall record was affected with him out of those line ups. I feel Troy had the most athleticism then reed and Dawkins.

Can't go wrong with either of them.
warfelg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawkins was the most versatile.

Reed was the best at playing the ball.

Polamalu had the biggest effect on the game.

In reality a QB would have to watch where all these guys were. I rank Reed the lowest because he wasn't a run stopper at all. Polamalu next because he could do both but was a beast box safety. Dawkins the highest because he could do both at a high level.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't even think it is up for debate. Polamalu was the most complete and most dynamic of the bunch by far. He was the scheme. Reed was a 1 trick pony, but he was great at it. Dawkins was good.
jcm412

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't compare FS and SS. Troy is the best SS. Reed is the best FS.

Dawkins wasnt the game changer that either of these guys were.
jebrick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
You can't compare FS and SS. Troy is the best SS. Reed is the best FS.

Dawkins wasnt the game changer that either of these guys were.

This is where I am as well.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Reed was easily the better coverage Safety of the 3. Reed was the Deion Sanders of Safeties; you just DON'T throw to his side! But Reed was so intelligent that he beat schemes game planned against him and still made plays on the ball. Vocal leader and quite the play-maker. Not the best tackling Safety and wasn't a big hitter but occasionally brought the hammer.

Troy Polamalu was a play-maker. Great at anticipation and was a very intelligent player. Very athletic and known for his acrobatic interceptions and diving tackles. Had no problems sacrificing his body. Was fundamentally one of the worst tackling Safeties that I've ever seen! Troy cared about getting you to the ground and too often I was afraid he would snap his neck! Too often he feasted on weaker QBs and that was always my biggest knock on Troy. A quiet leader who led by example and through his emotions. His overaggressive nature was a double edged sword and he was quite the freelancer Laughing

Brian Dawkins. The Wolverine! Violent hitter. Leader. One of the more balanced Safeties to ever play the game. Played in an aggressive scheme led by the late great Jim Johnson that terrorized offenses. A vocal leader who also led by example. Could cover, tackle, blitz, and play all three at a high level. He was Kam Chancellor mixed with Earl Thomas! Guys like Dawkins don't come around too often in the NFL! One of the best modern day guys who played the Rover or Money Backer position.

Which player is the best would depend on what scheme that you're using. If running a Single high, Reed is easily the best player. His understanding of how teams will attack their scheme is plain out amazing! Dawkins would be the better SS over Troy. Troy is a mixture of both players. Troy's bad technique at tackling and ability to be redirected on defense is why I feel he is the weaker of the three.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good subject and post.

#1 Ed Reed

#2 Troy Polamalu

#3 Brian Dawkins

Most said the major points.

Ed Reed is the Prime Time/Neon Deion Sanders of Safeties. He was the consummate safety with intelligence, range, and big play ability.

Troy was a quiet leader who could be a game changer (both for good and bad). He was probably the best athlete of the three, the fastest (straight line speed wise) and he could play the run well. Because of his reckless style, Troy played hurt a lot. Towards the end of his career, he got exploited more and more in pass coverage. I think he could play the run and pass effectively at his best.

B-Dawkins was an intimidation factor to opponents. He was smart, always around the ball and would lay your butt out!!!I don't think B-Dawkins had the range and athleticism of Troy or Ed, but he made up for it with intelligence and intimidation. He was also probably the best leader of the three, but I think Ed could have been that too, except he played on a team with fellow alpha-male Ray Lewis.

No doubt three of the greatest safeties of all time.

I will also continue to lobby for Donnie Shell to get into the HOF. It is a travesty that this guy has been passed up year after year for the HOF.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: