You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Has Jarius finally got it right?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Wright making the team might largely depend on how Rodney Adams looks. If Adams shows enough to be a competent 5th WR, Wright becomes expendable.

Floyds suspension might open the door for Wright to make the final roster but I'm not convinced he will stick since he's so limited to the slot and doesn't play ST.

While we've carried 6 WRs in the past, I'm not sure that will continue. Especially if we're looking at using a player like Hodges as a big WR. That's a new wrinkle for this year's offense.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SemperFeist wrote:
Not to mention the Vikings just gave Wright a contract extension this summer.

I think Wright signed that contract in 2015

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/jarius-wright-9937/

Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
SemperFeist wrote:
Not to mention the Vikings just gave Wright a contract extension this summer.

I think Wright signed that contract in 2015

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/jarius-wright-9937/

check out when Semper made his post:

Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:13 am

Everson Griffen: We can be special. But its up to us.
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tricked me! Lol whoops!

Didn't think we dragged old posts back up this far...

Maybe Wright only makes the team for the duration of Floyd's looming suspension?

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was interesting listening to PA interview Spielman. He asked about the WR additions, and Spielman said they felt the need to upgrade speed at the position.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
I thought it was interesting listening to PA interview Spielman. He asked about the WR additions, and Spielman said they felt the need to upgrade speed at the position.

We really don't have anyone with blazing speed. At least not how it translates to the field. Maybe a rookie like Adams comes in and shows that he can stretch the defense vertically, but the majority of our receivers are quicker athletes who do most of their damage on intermediate routes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wright's role in the Vikings' offense disappeared last season as Adam Thielen became a permanent fixture. Now, after the Vikings drafted two receivers who could play in the slot this season, Wright could have to prove his worth two years after he signed a contract extension.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x170628/veterans-roster-bubble-all-32-nfl-teams-2017-offseason#NFC_N

Thx to Lil Uno!
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Quote:
Wright's role in the Vikings' offense disappeared last season as Adam Thielen became a permanent fixture. Now, after the Vikings drafted two receivers who could play in the slot this season, Wright could have to prove his worth two years after he signed a contract extension.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x170628/veterans-roster-bubble-all-32-nfl-teams-2017-offseason#NFC_N

Floyd's suspension could save Wright, at least for the first few weeks. It might be hard to rely on a couple of late round WRs to do much to start the year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Floyd's suspension could save Wright, at least for the first few weeks. It might be hard to rely on a couple of late round WRs to do much to start the year.

Could be, but keeping Wright on the week 1 roster more or less guarantees him his full year salary. Not sure the Vikings want to swallow that for a couple games of use if they plan to cut him when Floyd returns. It seems more likely to me that the temporary fill in would be someone else. If Wright makes the week 1 roster he is likely to stick around longer than the Floyd suspension.
disaacs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cearbhall wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:

Could be, but keeping Wright on the week 1 roster more or less guarantees him his full year salary. Not sure the Vikings want to swallow that for a couple games of use if they plan to cut him when Floyd returns. It seems more likely to me that the temporary fill in would be someone else. If Wright makes the week 1 roster he is likely to stick around longer than the Floyd suspension.

He's going to cost $1.6M against the cap regardless of whether he makes the 53-man or not. And additional $1.5M on top of that isn't going to make an impact one way or the other. It don't matter to me whether he sticks around longer than the Floyd suspension. If Floyd's suspension is 8 games (for example), then I'd rather rely on his veteran experience than a rookie or Fruechte.

Thx to Lil Uno!
Cearbhall

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
He's going to cost $1.6M against the cap regardless of whether he makes the 53-man or not. And additional $1.5M on top of that isn't going to make an impact one way or the other. It don't matter to me whether he sticks around longer than the Floyd suspension. If Floyd's suspension is 8 games (for example), then I'd rather rely on his veteran experience than a rookie or Fruechte.

I see your point. I wasn't thinking the Floyd suspension would be half the season. If it is, that would certainly change the dynamic of the decision. However, I do think that $1.5M makes a meaningful impact. I wouldn't pay that to have a veteran backup for two games. The veteran backup may not be active or if active ride the bench the whole game unless one of the other WRs gets hurt.

The decision depends on length of suspension and where they think Wright would be on the depth chart, but the $1.5M should also be a factor. Teams have to make tough decisions on veterans every year. It wouldn't surprise me if Wright shows what he brings will be worth his salary, but after last year it also would not surprise me if he ends up on the other side of a tough decision.

Without doubt, as vikingsrule said, Floyd's suspension could save Wright. However, it will not necessarily save him.
disaacs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you there. Either way, I believe this will be the last year we'll see Wright in a Vikings uniform, as his base salary goes up by $1.1M and his dead cap number goes down by another $500K next season. They aren't going to pay a middle of the roster WR (at best) that much.

Thx to Lil Uno!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: