You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Expansion Draft "Game"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Expansion Draft "Game" Reply with quote

I was watching the NFLN and they proposed an interesting (I think) question. If there was an expansion Draft who would you protect? You can protect 3 players and Rookies are exempt. So it got me thinking of who I'd protect. I took the approach of preparing for the future moreso than the present. If it were just this year, I'd prolly pick the Triple B's. But for future purposes, for me #1 was obvious then it got dicey. My initial thoughts...

1) AB: Just locked him up and IS the best WR in the game. Ben is going to retire soon and AB will help develop whomever is next in line at QB.

2) A. Burns: I know this may sound a little crazy and even I'm not that comfortable with it but here's my rationale...Imo, Burns showed more (or as much) as a Rookie than any other CB we've had in recent memory. It's hard to allow that skillset leave the building.

3) Bell: I had a surprisingly hard time selecting Bell. Don't misunderstand, I believe he is the best all-around RB in the game but it's hard for me to shake the "RBs are a dime a dozen" philosophy. Also his injury history played a part in my hesitation. But in the end, Bell won the spot. I would have given it to Shazier if I could trust him to stay on the field but I can't. I chose Bell because in my mind he makes a bigger impact than any other player on the Roster (i.e Heyward, Dupree, or any single OL). I found this to be a difficult exercise.
Dcash4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun idea to think about.

Guys I would consider protecting:
- Ben, Bell, Brown, Decastro, Gilbert, Shazier, Dupree, Davis, Burns

Three I would protect:
- Brown: If he isnt, he gets picked. Nobody passes that talent and no one replaces that talent. Its too big a drop, even with Bens eventual retirement.

- Bell: I have long since wondered if it wouldnt make much more sense as a team for us to convert back to a running team that plays defense after Ben. QBs become harder and harder to come by, but we have a relatively young, very good offensive line and Bell is arguably the best back in FB. We have the offense to revert back to a run heavy team and the defensive resources have been put in place... but none of that works without a talent like Bell. Being a new team - money probably isnt a problem with you and making Bell your super star could be an easy decision when his contract talks happen.

- Decastro: I just think the trenches are so important, even without my previous comment for Bell with the future of the running game post Ben. If I am a brand new team, the guys up front is a good brick to lay first and Decastro is a young, plus player, with plenty of team controlled years left. He finishes his career with you most likely. As well as I think we could realistically replace at least 3 of the other 4 guys on the line, I think missing decastro puts a big hit on our own future.

Other tidbits:
- I dont think Ben would be any sort of an option for an expansion team so I would role the dice. No way a team takes a 1 or 2 year flyer on a player. They wont be good...no reason to have that rental.
- Dont disagree with Chiefs assessment of Burns, but I think he could get picked. There are probably more polished corners, but again -- this team wont be good and they could take a guy with a lot of potential thats rostered for another 4 years.
- I think Shazier would get picked if not protected and I think that one hurts us big time. He can do a lot of things other guys cannot do.
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really quite tough.

Shazier? Injured a lot but a young stud. Getting close to FA.

Brown? Close to 30 and smallish.

Bell? Gonna be a FA and lots of red flags, but he's elite of elite, as is Brown.

Dupree? Too much unknown yet.

Heyward? A bit old too.

DeCastro? an OG?

Pouncey? Too injury prone.

Ben? Debating retirement.

Watt? There we go! lol

So in the end, man that is really tough. If contracts and suspensions weren't an issue, meaning you knew you could at least have them re-signed reasonably, you'd have to go with Bell because he's the best RB in the NFL and still really young....best until McCaffrey unseats him that is lol (j/k). Shazier I'm going with simply because I think he's a stud, even though you don't know if he can stay healthy. Then I'm going with Brown, even though he's oldish and smallish, because he's the best WR in the NFL.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 posts and all agree with Brown and Bell. The differences are Burns, Decastro and Shazier. Interesting to see the different perspectives.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Harrison: Gonna play until he is 90.
Senquez Golson: Gotta keep hope alive.
Landry Jones: Dont hate. He is teh future.

Bell is a no brainer. Too dymanic and a multi purpose threat....and can be a huge factor even without Ben.

Brown is a little debatable, but we dont have a ton of noteworthy young guys to take over him. If Martavis wasnt such an idiot, he MIGHT be a consideration ahead of Brown, if only because of his youth and potential.

So, for me, it really comes down to DeCastro, Tuitt, Heyward, Dupree, Shazier and Burns.

DeCastro can be great but does have his hiccups.

Tuitt...kind of the same as DeCastro.

Heyward isnt old, but a bit old for him to be a no brainer here.

Dupree....not even 100% sure what we have there, yet.

Shazier....hurt too much and can be inconsistent.

Burns....again, not sure what we have there, but his upside at that position probably gives him the 3rd spot, for me.

Bell, Brown and Burns would be my 3.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown, Sean Davis, Cam Heyward

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warfelg wrote:
Sean Davis

Obviously, he could progress, but how can you justify taking him over Bell? And Burns definitely showed more as a rookie and has higher upside....but I wont argue that too much since they are both still works in progress.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
warfelg wrote:
Sean Davis

Obviously, he could progress, but how can you justify taking him over Bell? And Burns definitely showed more as a rookie and has higher upside....but I wont argue that too much since they are both still works in progress.

I think he's got a very bright futures and is very versatile. Can play in the box safety, cover man to man, play zoned out safety, play the run, play the pass.

I really wanted to make Burns my 3rd, but Heyward just made sense to me because of his ability in the run game, pass game, and his leadership.

No Bell, because I think RB is the easiest position to replace.

Hahahahaha.

Jones' only chance is to go to Tenn. Otherwise he is flipping burgers this fall.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: