Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

aSK anything: 4.0 Development Hours Remaining
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 28522
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the cover from the morning after the NFL awarded a franchise to Minnesota...



And just read some of those articles there on the front page...how little has changed in nearly 60 years.
_________________


Thx to Lil Uno!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 28522
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Twenty years ago, interleague play began. There have been many changes since then -- instant replay, two wild-card teams per league, divisional realignment, the All-Star Game determining home-field advantage in the World Series, the steroid era, four fingers for an intentional walk and alterations to sliding rules to protect catchers and middle infielders. The changes have come swiftly, and soon will come even more swiftly, which makes us wonder: What will the game look like in 20 years?


http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19647609/blueprint-baseball-20-years

I'm a fan of a pitch clock and not allowing the batter to step out of the box. Just get up there and pitch and hit, pitch and hit. None of that other nonsense is necessary.
_________________


Thx to Lil Uno!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10498
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So some sort of bee/hornet/wasp got into my house, but it was HUGE. Far bigger than I have ever seen. It was mostly black with a little yellow, but it had to have been over an inch long and very thick. Any ideas what that could be? It was about the size and shape of a large June bug, but it was definitely some sort of bee/hornet/wasp.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 82921
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
So some sort of bee/hornet/wasp got into my house, but it was HUGE. Far bigger than I have ever seen. It was mostly black with a little yellow, but it had to have been over an inch long and very thick. Any ideas what that could be? It was about the size and shape of a large June bug, but it was definitely some sort of bee/hornet/wasp.




like that?
_________________


Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10498
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't have narrow waist like that. It was pretty thick all the way through
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 82921
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe try this:

http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20q?guide=Insect_orders
_________________


Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDBrocks


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 7959
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cicada killer?



They burrow and multiply and are really difficult to get rid of, if that's what they are.
_________________

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10498
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I think that was it
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDBrocks


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 7959
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will ruin a yard if not dealt with early on. You will start to see pretty sizable dirt mounds with big holes on the top. They take cicadas in the burrow and leave them for the larvae to eat until they are ready to come out. They are pretty cool bugs, but can be very intimidating.
_________________

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vike daddy


Most Valuable Poster (2nd Ballot)

Joined: 12 Mar 2005
Posts: 82921
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they're fairly unique too, as they are solitary wasps and not part of a greater hive.
_________________


Everson Griffen: “We can be special. But it’s up to us.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Heimdallr


Moderator
Joined: 24 Jan 2014
Posts: 10498
Location: Himinbjörg
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad those things don't sting. I was worried a sting from a wasp that size would kill my dogs.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JDBrocks


Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 7959
Location: Chicago
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heimdallr wrote:
I'm just glad those things don't sting. I was worried a sting from a wasp that size would kill my dogs.


The females will sting and it will be painful, but are not really agressive. When I lived in my apartment, the entire lawn between our door on the ground floor and the parking lot was over run in one summer. It got to the point where people didn't want to come over because there were so many wasps.
_________________

Josh Ritter wrote:
I became a thin blue wire, that held the world above the fire
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
milanb


Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Posts: 6543
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disaacs wrote:
Quote:
Twenty years ago, interleague play began. There have been many changes since then -- instant replay, two wild-card teams per league, divisional realignment, the All-Star Game determining home-field advantage in the World Series, the steroid era, four fingers for an intentional walk and alterations to sliding rules to protect catchers and middle infielders. The changes have come swiftly, and soon will come even more swiftly, which makes us wonder: What will the game look like in 20 years?


http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/19647609/blueprint-baseball-20-years

I'm a fan of a pitch clock and not allowing the batter to step out of the box. Just get up there and pitch and hit, pitch and hit. None of that other nonsense is necessary.


The real problem is that the evolution of the game, combined with the current rules, encourages batters to go deep into the count. The result is that the majority of plate appearances do not result in the ball being put in play. Which in turn has resulted in long, drawn-out games that place almost no emphasis on base-running or defence. It's all about putting two guys on base and having someone hit a home run.

I say: ban the DH Rule and the thin-handled bat, and raise the pitching mound back to 16" where it belongs.
_________________

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
disaacs


Joined: 13 Dec 2005
Posts: 28522
Location: Brownbackistan
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the banning of the DH, although I've accepted that it probably won't ever happen.
_________________


Thx to Lil Uno!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67
Page 67 of 67

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group