Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official OTA/Training Camp Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLick12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
Pretty sure Agholor did get a chance to return a punt one season and he dropped it.

LOL well that's it, he should never do it again.

I don't think hes ever practiced it here or ever been the guy back there.

I think you need reps at the end of the day to get better/be really good at anything in football.

When it was his job at USC he was really good at it.

Well, to be fair, I don't even know if I'm remembering it correctly, I might be getting that confused with this: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000548904/Eagles-Nelson-Agholor-fumbles-on-the-reverse-Redskins-recover

But I vaguely remember him muffing a punt as well. Just remember that it was a pretty Nelson Agholor thing to happen given how limited his touches are.

You definitely need reps to get better, I don't disagree, but it's hard to say he warrants any reps over Sproles given that one is an all-time great at returning punts and the other you pray that he even catches the football.

Bird Watch: Nolan Carroll
Bednarik60

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
Pretty sure Agholor did get a chance to return a punt one season and he dropped it.

I think you need reps at the end of the day to get better/be really good at anything in football.

Well, to be fair, I don't even know if I'm remembering it correctly, I might be getting that confused with this: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000548904/Eagles-Nelson-Agholor-fumbles-on-the-reverse-Redskins-recover

But I vaguely remember him muffing a punt as well. Just remember that it was a pretty Nelson Agholor thing to happen given how limited his touches are.

You definitely need reps to get better, I don't disagree, but it's hard to say he warrants any reps over Sproles given that one is an all-time great at returning punts and the other you pray that he even catches the football.

I think your right about him muffing a punt tho Laughing

Well is Sproles going to be here in 2-3 years when maybe we might with the luck of god be a Super Bowl contender?

Sproles will be 34 tomorrow by the way, happy birthday to him!

But 34 on a developing team isn't the best situation for him or us, they really need to push the young talent to get the reps and find themselves and help us find out who we really have on this roster.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
Bednarik60 wrote:
BLick12 wrote:

I think your right about him muffing a punt tho Laughing

Well is Sproles going to be here in 2-3 years when maybe we might with the luck of god be a Super Bowl contender?

Sproles will be 34 tomorrow by the way, happy birthday to him!

But 34 on a developing team isn't the best situation for him or us, they really need to push the young talent to get the reps and find themselves and help us find out who we really have on this roster.

No, but I'm not sure that Agholor will be either if he doesn't improve as a receiver. It would certainly be nice if he could add some value through STs, but to me, we drafted him in the first round to be a receiver and he's got so much he needs to improve on there, that needs to be the priority.

If Smallwood gets cut, I could see Agholor getting more opportunities on kick return.

Hockey5djh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
If Smallwood gets cut, I could see Agholor getting more opportunities on kick return.

I know I had a little back and forth with Jroc on skill set but is cutting Smallwood a thing now?

Regardless of how he looked at OTAs or the limited media time in Mini camp he should have no problem making the roster. Mathews will be cut, Sproles is expected to retire after the season, and Blount is a FA after the season.

After those 3 our RBs are Pumphrey, Smallwood, Byron Marshall, and Corey Clement. I don't think you can cut Smallwood strictly on sheer continuity purposes unless Marshall or Clement take the job from them.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
BLick12 wrote:

I know I had a little back and forth with Jroc on skill set but is cutting Smallwood a thing now?

Regardless of how he looked at OTAs or the limited media time in Mini camp he should have no problem making the roster. Mathews will be cut, Sproles is expected to retire after the season, and Blount is a FA after the season.

After those 3 our RBs are Pumphrey, Smallwood, Byron Marshall, and Corey Clement. I don't think you can cut Smallwood strictly on sheer continuity purposes unless Marshall or Clement take the job from them.

I'm not a proponent of cutting him, in fact, I would've preferred to give him year 2 with the bulk of the carries instead of Blount. But, that might be the reality given our RB situation. Yeah, we don't have a lot of longterm options, but how many RBs are we going to carry on the roster? Blount, Sproles, Pumphrey seem to be the clear top 3 as of now, it is not unheard of to carry a 4th especially since the Eagles don't carry a FB, but it doesn't feel like the FO is particularly enamored with him either.

Jroc04

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many RBs are you expecting them to keep? 3 is usually the number.

And is Smallwood irreplaceable or something?

Only way he makes the team is if Pumphrey is "redshirted", IMO. I guess I can see a way they find a way to keep 4 and sacrifice elsewhere but whoever is 4th is most likely going to be inactive game to game and then what's the use? Might as well cut him and keep OL depth.

Wentz
Foles
McGloin

Blount
Sproles
Pumphrey

Alshon
Smith
Matthews
Agholor
Hollins
Gibson

Ertz
Celek
Burton

Peters
Dillon

Seumalo
Barbre
Warmack

Kelce
Wiz

Brooks
Tobin

Lane
Vaitai

That's 26 and it's stretching it already. The only flexible spots are McGloin, Dillon and Gibson and even then they are more important than a 4th RB.

Kilty sig808 avy
808 wrote:
Jroc offers a voice of reason, and that's why I care about him so much.
Jlash

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless Gibson gets leaps and bounds better the more I read the more it looks like he won't make the 53.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:
How many RBs are you expecting them to keep? 3 is usually the number

Usual number is 4? Mathews, Sproles, Smallwood, and Barner were the 4 last year.

Generally your 3rd QB isn't on the active roster.

^^Kilty on the sig

ninja wrote:
This is the eagles we are talking about here. This will all blow up in our faces not work.

Source: experience.
Nabbs4u

Location: 1st Ballot Eagles HOF 3x Gold Standard 09' /10 '/11' 2X ENBD/Pick em Winner Kiltman on the Sig
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Jroc04 wrote:

Usual number is 4? Mathews, Sproles, Smallwood, and Barner were the 4 last year.

There's no way IMO they can justify keeping 3QB given the depth throughout this team at other positions. Only way it happens is if one of the two gets injured or gimpy during training camp / the pre-season. Otherwise we'll role with 2. If we get to McGloin or any #3 our season is over anyways. Keep the extra D/O Lineman, WR, CB, RB instead. Someone who might actually contribute on Sundays.

2017 Bird Watch: WR Jordan Matthews: Gm/ Tgt // Rec// Yds// TD// Y/R
Jroc04

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:
Jroc04 wrote:

Generally, around the league I'm pretty sure teams keep 3 and incorporate a FB but actually halfbacks is at 3. We were in a unique situation given how injury prone Mathews is/was so we needed the depth there. And since we don't have a FB designation I imagine the number is still 3 with depth going elsewhere.

The 3rd QB is apart of the 53. He's just usually inactive each game.

And you can see the proposed roster. Where are you cutting 2 or 3 guys for Smallwood?

Kilty sig808 avy
808 wrote:
BLick12

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jroc04 wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Jroc04 wrote:

Generally, around the league I'm pretty sure teams keep 3 and incorporate a FB but actually halfbacks is at 3. We were in a unique situation given how injury prone Mathews is/was so we needed the depth there. And since we don't have a FB designation I imagine the number is still 3 with depth going elsewhere.

And you can see the proposed roster. Where are you cutting 2 or 3 guys for Smallwood?

I'd argue that a 4th RB is probably more important than a 6th receiver when you have guys like Sproles and Pumphrey and the abundance of TEs that we have. No way Gibson is getting on the field.

Smallwood had a pretty solid rookie campaign, he averaged over 4 YPC, was productive on kick returns and showed some promise. He didn't show enough to say that he's definitely the guy or not, but he showed more than someone like Gibson would have the opportunity to show this year. Just my 2 cents.

Bednarik60

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hockey5djh wrote:

Yeah its in right now.. such a hot take..

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Corey Clement beats out Smallwood. Hes basically the same player with more power and size.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
Jroc04 wrote:
Hockey5djh wrote:
Jroc04 wrote:

I'd argue that a 4th RB is probably more important than a 6th receiver when you have guys like Sproles and Pumphrey and the abundance of TEs that we have. No way Gibson is getting on the field.

Smallwood had a pretty solid rookie campaign, he averaged over 4 YPC, was productive on kick returns and showed some promise. He didn't show enough to say that he's definitely the guy or not, but he showed more than someone like Gibson would have the opportunity to show this year. Just my 2 cents.

Not when you consider gunners on STs. Or how our offense (and everyone's) uses 3 WR sets as the standard now. The 6th WR is going to see way more time than a 4th RB typically through the season. Especially if health is on our side. I mean, Treggs started last year at one point.

Gibson is a rookie who has had one camp. No one knows exactly what he is or isn't yet. Reports were he was struggling but the last couple days things were slowing down for him and he caught on a bit. Let's see how he performs in the summer camps. Smallwood, whether you want to argue or not, looks to have fallen out of whatever favor he had.

To be clear, I'm not arguing anyone over Smallwood. I'm just dealing with the facts. Many reports have said Pumphrey has been all over the field in the most recent camp and has been used with Sproles in some form of a package. While Smallwood has been underperforming and used seldomly except for basic reps. My statement was, if all that's true, Smallwood's time might be up. And that's clear just considering the numbers game.

Kilty sig808 avy
808 wrote:
D-Lo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
I think Corey Clement beats out Smallwood. Hes basically the same player with more power and size.

Thats probably the only way Smallwood doesnt make the team. He was decent as rookie and I dont see them giving up on him this year. Pumphrey is not a traditional back and willbe used in the slot for a decent amount of his snaps. If we lost Blount while we only carry Sproles and Pumphrey we wouldnt have anything resembling a run game. Gibson will either be cut or stashed on IR, we're not carrying 6 WRs unless one of Gibson, DGB, Treggs, et cetera, balls out to the point of being uncuttable. That seems very unlikely. So, IMO, you can book it that one of Smallwood and Clement will make the roster.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 18 of 21

Jump to: