You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Official Baker Mayfield Great Debate Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWood21

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DalCowboyzRule wrote:
Baker is a less talented Johnny Manziel with slightly more brain cells.

You never cease to amaze me DCR.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

NFL.com analyst and former NFL scout Bucky Brooks views Oklahoma redshirt senior QB Baker Mayfield as a "dynamic quick-rhythm passer with B-plus arm talent and polished passing skills" and compares him to Bills QB Tyrod Taylor.
"He is quick and decisive with the ball from the pocket, exhibiting a compact delivery and quick release," Brooks wrote. "The ball comes out 'hot' from his hands, but he also displays an outstanding feathery touch on soft tosses to his backs and receivers on the perimeter." Mayfield (listed at 6-foot-1, 215 pounds but almost assuredly smaller) threw for 3,965 yards and a 40/8 TD/INT ratio with a completion rate of nearly 71 percent last year. "Mayfield's combination of athleticism and passing prowess would make him a solid fit in a 'stretch-bootleg' system (Gary Kubiak's offensive system) that keeps passers on the move," Brooks wrote. As for the Taylor comp, Brooks wrote: "While [Mayfield] is not quite as explosive as the Bills' quarterback, he is an athletic playmaker with a set of skills that could make him an effective starter as a pro."

Very Happy
tannenballs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CalhounLambeau wrote:
Quote:

NFL.com analyst and former NFL scout Bucky Brooks views Oklahoma redshirt senior QB Baker Mayfield as a "dynamic quick-rhythm passer with B-plus arm talent and polished passing skills" and compares him to Bills QB Tyrod Taylor.
"He is quick and decisive with the ball from the pocket, exhibiting a compact delivery and quick release," Brooks wrote. "The ball comes out 'hot' from his hands, but he also displays an outstanding feathery touch on soft tosses to his backs and receivers on the perimeter." Mayfield (listed at 6-foot-1, 215 pounds but almost assuredly smaller) threw for 3,965 yards and a 40/8 TD/INT ratio with a completion rate of nearly 71 percent last year. "Mayfield's combination of athleticism and passing prowess would make him a solid fit in a 'stretch-bootleg' system (Gary Kubiak's offensive system) that keeps passers on the move," Brooks wrote. As for the Taylor comp, Brooks wrote: "While [Mayfield] is not quite as explosive as the Bills' quarterback, he is an athletic playmaker with a set of skills that could make him an effective starter as a pro."

Very Happy

I'm good with that. 4th round grade, think he has potential to develop into a low level starter.

I love him as a backup. I love backups that turn it loose and take chances, even guys like Matt Moore who lack the improv skills to extend like Baker, the successful backups take chances, you're probably not going to win, might as well chuck it around. The backups who always play safe and try to win 17-14 games are the ones that lose.
Forge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Bucky Brooks also say that this upcoming quarterback class was no better than the Trubisky / Watson / Mahomes led class of '17? I can't remember the article, but I thought for sure he said something to that effect.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanS wrote:
This guy has ZERO chance to be a starting NFL QB.

Simply lacks the arm strength for the position.

If you're gonna be an undersized QB, you need monstrous hands like Russell Wilson along with a strong arm. Mayfield lacks both.

He's a great college QB especially playing in a conference like the Big 12 that plays no defense. However, the 2 times he played a competent defense in 2015 (vs Clemson and Tennessee), he was exposed. I'll be interested to see if he struggles again against Auburn who has a pretty good defense as well.

He's a nice story but this is no Russell Wilson or Drew Brees.

Zero might be a little low, but he definitely does not have the look of a NFL starting QB just yet.

Here's Bucky Brook's take on him as a prospect.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000814072/article/oklahomas-riley-can-help-mayfield-develop-as-nfl-prospect
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Didn't Bucky Brooks also say that this upcoming quarterback class was no better than the Trubisky / Watson / Mahomes led class of '17? I can't remember the article, but I thought for sure he said something to that effect.

I think you got it wrong, Brooks is predicting that 4 QB's will go top 10 in the draft with a strong possibility that QB's go 1,2,3 in this year's draft if they all have solid final seasons.

Rosen looks like he has solved his arm worries which were of great concern after shoulder surgery, but he has looked great in spring ball and put that worry to rest.He still has character issues, re: his personality, which will be looked at carefully as the season goes on.
Forge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iamcanadian wrote:
Forge wrote:

I think you got it wrong, Brooks is predicting that 4 QB's will go top 10 in the draft with a strong possibility that QB's go 1,2,3 in this year's draft if they all have solid final seasons.

Rosen looks like he has solved his arm worries which were of great concern after shoulder surgery, but he has looked great in spring ball and put that worry to rest.He still has character issues, re: his personality, which will be looked at carefully as the season goes on.

Predicting 4 in the top 10 is not the same as classifying this class as no better than the previous class, FWIW. The two can be independent of one another.

As for Brooks, it was sort of inbetween. Wasn't as harsh as I remembered. He didn't say that it was no better, but he said,

Quote:
After spending the weekend looking at the top prospects at the position, I would tell anyone within earshot to pump the brakes on the hype train that's making this collection of quarterbacks out to be game-changers at the position.

Now, that's not a complete dismissal of the long-term potential of the quarterback prospects in the upcoming class, but I believe the same questions and concerns that plagued the 2017 group can be applied to those who could be in the 2018 class.There isn't a sure-fire franchise quarterback in the group and any suggestion otherwise is based on hype, not evaluation.

I think the next wave of QBs might not be the collection of crown jewels that I expected based on the hype. Let's see if that opinion changes after they take the field this fall.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
Iamcanadian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forge wrote:
Iamcanadian wrote:
Forge wrote:

Predicting 4 in the top 10 is not the same as classifying this class as no better than the previous class, FWIW. The two can be independent of one another.

As for Brooks, it was sort of inbetween. Wasn't as harsh as I remembered. He didn't say that it was no better, but he said,

Quote:
After spending the weekend looking at the top prospects at the position, I would tell anyone within earshot to pump the brakes on the hype train that's making this collection of quarterbacks out to be game-changers at the position.

Now, that's not a complete dismissal of the long-term potential of the quarterback prospects in the upcoming class, but I believe the same questions and concerns that plagued the 2017 group can be applied to those who could be in the 2018 class.There isn't a sure-fire franchise quarterback in the group and any suggestion otherwise is based on hype, not evaluation.

I think the next wave of QBs might not be the collection of crown jewels that I expected based on the hype. Let's see if that opinion changes after they take the field this fall.

I have been at this draftnik business for many years and my gut feeling is that this will be an exceptional year for QB's provided injuries doesn't raise its ugly head.

Rosen has already put to rest any lingering worries over is shoulder recovery and the depth of this field looks pretty solid to me. In fact, if things were to go right, 1 or 2 more QB's might enter the round 1 discussion if they have outstanding final years.

Right now, I do not think there is a 'Luck' type prospect among them, but an awful lot appear to be just a step below that calibre, so there is always the possibility that one takes that next step and moves into the 'Luck' ceiling of prospects.

Should be a very interesting year.

Daniel Jeremiah's scouting report on Darnold and Allen:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813121/article/first-look-scouting-usc-qb-sam-darnold

A lot of potential there to be special.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000814722/article/first-look-scouting-wyoming-qb-josh-allen

Scary potential if he can refine his touch rather than always depending on throwing it hard.
Danger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd slot him as a 4th rounder right now. Honestly reminds me of a slightly more athletic Chase Daniel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Oklahoma redshirt senior QB Baker Mayfield pleaded guilty to misdemeanor charges of public intoxication, disorderly conduct and fleeing.
Mayfield reached a plea bargain last week wherein he paid $480 in fines for the three charges (he also owes $483.20 in restitution) in exchange for prosecutors dropping a resisting arrest charge. Oklahoma announced last week that Mayfield must complete an alcohol-education course and complete 35 hours of community service before the fall semester as punishment for his arrest. The 2016 Heisman finalist will not face a suspension for the incident.

Seems fair to me. In the video he was jogging away from the officers. It was pretty comical.

Glad this is all in the past.
BleedTheClock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like him. I also liked Manziel as a QB though. They do have similarities, but Mayfield seems to have his head screwed on a little more and has much better pocket skills. Mayfield's accuracy is actually very good and his arm is a strength of his despite the size.

The size and the scheme scare me, so I'm holding off on ranking him just yet...but I wouldn't disqualify him from 1st round consideration if he has another great year.
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BleedTheClock wrote:
I actually like him. I also liked Manziel as a QB though. They do have similarities, but Mayfield seems to have his head screwed on a little more and has much better pocket skills. Mayfield's accuracy is actually very good and his arm is a strength of his despite the size.

The size and the scheme scare me, so I'm holding off on ranking him just yet...but I wouldn't disqualify him from 1st round consideration if he has another great year.

Glad someone else likes him.

He had that jitterbug/happy feet label his first season at Oklahoma and he made it his goal to be more pocket oriented in his second year and ended up with less than 200 yards rushing. There is really something with him. Driven guy.

He makes NFL throws from the pocket. It might take some time but he has it in him to make it work.
tannenballs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your grade on Baker, Cal?
CalhounLambeau

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tannenballs wrote:
What's your grade on Baker, Cal?

Will be posted very soon. Very Happy
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to watch him play slot WR in the NFL

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: