Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jets Offseason Overlook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doumeyer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetskid007 wrote:
Outside of some of the media fluff, it sounds like Hackenberg actually made significant strides from last year. I'll be very interested to see how Hack comes back for TC. He's going to continue working his tail off between now and then, and while the Jets have acknowledged they expect McCown to start with Hackenberg getting the nod around midseason, he could force them to reconsider that strategy if he keeps up the good work.

What is the point of playing McCown? If this true it is Fitz all over again. Mac has had three full drafts, and how long is he going to keep milking this rebuilding business.
Rich51

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:
Outside of some of the media fluff, it sounds like Hackenberg actually made significant strides from last year. I'll be very interested to see how Hack comes back for TC. He's going to continue working his tail off between now and then, and while the Jets have acknowledged they expect McCown to start with Hackenberg getting the nod around midseason, he could force them to reconsider that strategy if he keeps up the good work.

What is the point of playing McCown? If this true it is Fitz all over again. Mac has had three full drafts, and how long is he going to keep milking this rebuilding business.

I like the way Cleveland, under Jackson, has handled their rebuild. After drafting Ogbah, Nassib and Shonn Coleman last year, adding Garrett, Ogunjobi and Brantley, plus adding free agents Tretter and Zeitler to their OL they now have solid Offensive and defensive lines.

According to a podcast I heard, even though Kizer is not scheduled to start, he has been getting mostly first team reps. Jackson doesn't believe in using wrist bands for plays, so Kizer has to memorize all the play, basically forcing him to learn the playbook.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich51 wrote:
doumeyer wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:

I like the way Cleveland, under Jackson, has handled their rebuild. After drafting Ogbah, Nassib and Shonn Coleman last year, adding Garrett, Ogunjobi and Brantley, plus adding free agents Tretter and Zeitler to their OL they now have solid Offensive and defensive lines.

According to a podcast I heard, even though Kizer is not scheduled to start, he has been getting mostly first team reps. Jackson doesn't believe in using wrist bands for plays, so Kizer has to memorize all the play, basically forcing him to learn the playbook.

I agree, Cleveland is doing it the right way. The way it looks now, Mack will being holding the clip board for most of the 2017 season. Maybe I am wrong but it looks like this is another throw away season for the offensive. It is pretty obvious when he let Decker go , and did very little to help the offensive in the draft. The only thing he did for the offensive was to get the offensive a late third WR in the draft, and a O lineman with injury problems. I can't fathom the thought of having to watch MC Cown play QB for most of the season.
jetskid007

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:

Has more to do with giving Hackenberg time
rdelaney89

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
jetskid007 wrote:

McCown would only start to allow Hack more time if needed. Fitz started because Geno got KO'd and then played well enough not to lose his job. Other than the fact that Fitz and McCown are past their primes the situations are totally different.

If Hack is ready to play then he will play. Could be game 1 could be game 8 but I highly doubt we roll with McCown the way we rolled with Fitz. That had more to do with the vets on the team that wanted to win than anything else, now that they aren't here there is zero pressure to keep McCown in.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'd give Hack 2 or 3 weeks to focus on being the back up, working on game planning, etc...

Start him week 4 or 5 and finish off the season.

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
Yeah I'd give Hack 2 or 3 weeks to focus on being the back up, working on game planning, etc...

Start him week 4 or 5 and finish off the season.

I like this plan. Start the home game vs Jax, learn from it and carry it to Cleveland.
KingOfTheDot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read that some of Hacks issues may come from him and the rest of the offense still learning the playbook.

Going from read to read there were slight moments of thinking which make sense at this point.

Seems like once he grasps the playbook then he'll show more consistency.

I've still got hope.

Quote:
@CRO31: @KellenWinslowJr you wish you were as good as your dad. Have you been to TARGET lately?

NewAge wrote:
And yeah I like Butt.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingOfTheDot wrote:
Read that some of Hacks issues may come from him and the rest of the offense still learning the playbook.

Going from read to read there were slight moments of thinking which make sense at this point.

I've still got hope.

McCown and Petty are still learning the playbook as well, so no one has an advantage. I also think we should note that everyone is learning a new playbook. I highly doubt our inexperienced WRs and TEs are in the right place, runningbtgevright routes every play. I'm less concerned about our oline and RBs bc they're vets.
famousj

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the real deal with the progress of Chrisitian Hackenberg? I expect Christian Hackenberg to be the starting QB at some point this year. The progress other teams have made mean nothing without the wins to show for it. Cleveland looks good on paper but we'll see if that translates into wins. The Jets look poor on paper but we'll see if that translates in poor performances. The Jets are doing the 'Philly Flop" this year. This upcoming year is about seeing what we have in Christian Hackenberg and seeing how the new coaching staff can develop the youth into a cohesive unit.
Jetsfandan423

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby816 wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

I've still got hope.

McCown and Petty are still learning the playbook as well, so no one has an advantage. I also think we should note that everyone is learning a new playbook. I highly doubt our inexperienced WRs and TEs are in the right place, runningbtgevright routes every play. I'm less concerned about our oline and RBs bc they're vets.

McCown has experience in pretty much every type of offense, and has worked with Jeremy Bates before, so he definitely has the edge. I think it's pretty much a no brainer that McCown starts the season, but I would expect to see Hack sooner than later.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
Bobby816 wrote:
KingOfTheDot wrote:

I've still got hope.

McCown has experience in pretty much every type of offense, and has worked with Jeremy Bates before, so he definitely has the edge. I think it's pretty much a no brainer that McCown starts the season, but I would expect to see Hack sooner than later.

I think you're right. But that really makes the 1st "however" many weeks pointless from a fan base standpoint. Yes there's other young players to watch... but with a 38yr old a QB who is below average at QB, there's nothing to get excited about until a younger QB comes in for us.
rickyt31

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have to keep in mind that Hack didn't get many opportunities to learn from last season because we had 4 QBs for most of the season. He was barely getting practice reps.
doumeyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

famousj wrote:
What is the real deal with the progress of Chrisitian Hackenberg? I expect Christian Hackenberg to be the starting QB at some point this year. The progress other teams have made mean nothing without the wins to show for it. Cleveland looks good on paper but we'll see if that translates into wins. The Jets look poor on paper but we'll see if that translates in poor performances. The Jets are doing the 'Philly Flop" this year. This upcoming year is about seeing what we have in Christian Hackenberg and seeing how the new coaching staff can develop the youth into a cohesive unit.

Rick that is a outstanding post, and sure seems that is the way the Jets are going. What upsets me the most it sure looks like we are going to do the ( philly Flop ). Mac has had three full drafts to make the Jets at least competitive, with the help of at least two or three FA on offensive, and has failed to do that. Plus he got rid of our best WR. Our defensive should be competitive, but if our offensive goes three and out all the time the defensive will crack. If for some reason Hack turns out to be the real deal, than I will be the first to eat crow.
Bobby816

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doumeyer wrote:
famousj wrote:

Rick that is a outstanding post, and sure seems that is the way the Jets are going. What upsets me the most it sure looks like we are going to do the ( philly Flop ). Mac has had three full drafts to make the Jets at least competitive, with the help of at least two or three FA on offensive, and has failed to do that. Plus he got rid of our best WR. Our defensive should be competitive, but if our offensive goes three and out all the time the defensive will crack. If for some reason Hack turns out to be the real deal, than I will be the first to eat crow.

Biggest thing I think Macc missed the boat on was in FA. He had a TON of cap room his 1st offseason with us. But he spent it all on 30yr olds. The only good singing he made was Carpenter for the future. Skrine I'll give him a pass on, bc he was still young and has flopped, but he big time overpaid him, so he kinda deserves it. Last offseason he did the same but with limited cap space. Handed Forte an awful contract. This FA the only signing he made that could be good for the future might be Claiborne. But if he plays well, we have to overpay for him to stay when he has injury issues. Beachum hit a need and I like that, but we paid him starter salary (17th highest paid LT) when he was awful last year and hasn't shown anything since his injury. He's also 28, so it's not like he has the big long future ahead of him either. The icing on the cake was bringing in Davis. Ya its better than nothing in return, but why in a rebuild are we bringing in 28-30yr olds? I just don't think Macc has any clue what to do in FA. And since we will have a ton of cap space next off season... if he's still here, I expect him to completely mess it up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Jets All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82  Next
Page 78 of 82

Jump to: