Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Twins Thread: Welcome best pitching prospect Royce Lewis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VIKINGS101011

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely liking the draft turnout. Enlow in the 4th was great and the money pick everyone was waiting for. We got a decent amount of high upside guys and some guys that should move through the system quick.
GoPackGo25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
Most Twins fans know about as much as I do when it comes to scouting prospects. They also think the MLB draft is like the NFL draft. For the most part Twins fans are idiots.
Wont disagree with you there. A lot of them just want to find something to complain about and throw out the being cheap card even though that is not their intention at all.

Credit: TheDeeeeej
GoPackGo25

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VIKINGS101011 wrote:
Definitely liking the draft turnout. Enlow in the 4th was great and the money pick everyone was waiting for. We got a decent amount of high upside guys and some guys that should move through the system quick.
Definitely a sigh of relief getting high upside guys after the last regime kept drafting college relievers trying to turn them into starters.

The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the draft, I think that all the picks look pretty interesting. And hopefully a couple of the players pan out.

Also, that was a ton of offense. So much offense, Gibson goes 6 innings and gives up 6 runs and gets the win.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, I could see after the first day why you might think we had a bad draft, but after day 2, there is no way not to be happy.

It's been a while since I've been this happy with a draft. To put it in perspective we got:

- The best prep position player (Lewis)
- The best college hitter (Rooker)
- One of the best curveballs in the class (Enlow)
- One of the best change ups in the class (Barnes)

A few things were interesting though, with regards to our philosophy. This is the first time I remember that we used tools like spin rates as a part of our scouting process. Enlow had among the highest spin rates on his curve. Our pitchers that were selected, if you didn't have velocity most of them had a developed breaking ball, notably either curve ball or change up. Also we moved away from selecting flame throwing college players to control/command guys.

I will say, I think this draft does indicate Falvine will aim to help the major league team either through trade of free agency. I doubt we go into another season with a horrendous starting rotation (or a green one) and a dumpster fire of a bullpen. I still maintain Santana and Dozier are both gone in the trade deadline, the return will probably pitcher who are close to major league ready.

NFL: New Orleans Saints
NHL: Edmonton Oilers
MLB: Minnesota Twins/ Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Phoenix Suns/Toronto Raptors
TENINCH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Twins really suck right now. Probably for the best to give up this division and be sellers at the all star break.
GoPackGo25

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:
These Twins really suck right now. Probably for the best to give up this division and be sellers at the all star break.
What did the FO honestly think would happen.. throwing Turley and Wilk in the biggest series of the season. Wilk is awful and makes me miss Tommy Milone.

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TENINCH wrote:

We honestly have the worst pitching staff in the majors. We have 2 starters who we can rely upon, and one of them slowing down dramatically (Santana).

The bullpen.....I've seen war zones in better shape.

GoPackGo25

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian Saint wrote:
TENINCH wrote:

We honestly have the worst pitching staff in the majors. We have 2 starters who we can rely upon, and one of them slowing down dramatically (Santana).

The bullpen.....I've seen war zones in better shape.
I liked what I saw out of Busenitz tonight in the pen. Hopefully we get guys like Jake Reed and Melotakis coming up to help out the bullpen, and quit seeing the garbage that is Belisle and Breslow.

And yeah, Santana and Berrios are awesome, and our 3-5 are easily the worst in baseball. They keep rotation Wilk, Turley, Tepesch etc in those spots and all of them have not had a single good game.. but they're the ones that keep getting rotated in there. It's pretty frustrating really, especially considering the start we had

Canadian Saint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoPackGo25 wrote:
I liked what I saw out of Busenitz tonight in the pen. Hopefully we get guys like Jake Reed and Melotakis coming up to help out the bullpen, and quit seeing the garbage that is Belisle and Breslow.

And yeah, Santana and Berrios are awesome, and our 3-5 are easily the worst in baseball. They keep rotation Wilk, Turley, Tepesch etc in those spots and all of them have not had a single good game.. but they're the ones that keep getting rotated in there. It's pretty frustrating really, especially considering the start we had

Yeah the bullpen has potential but is quite young right now. Duffey and Rogers are both solid. Like you seen Busenitz looked decent.

I think the starting rotation collapse was inevitable for us though. While Hughes and H. Santana are better than these career AAAA pitchers, they wouldn't be that much of an upgrade. We were playing over our heads at the beginning. Gibson too absolutely bottomed out. Our staff has the worst FIP in all of baseball. No amount of hoping and praying was going to keep us in first. And I doubt we're in a position to give out vast assets to fix it.

We're essentially in a position to grin and bear it, and see how good we can play. It's also likely we'll be sellers at the TDD. However, with all the negative, lets not forget, most of our key contributors are young. They are stepping up and not crapping the bed. Even Buxton with his bat issues (which are much improved this past few weeks!).

The Gnat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vargas crushed that ball last night, that was impressive.

As for the starting pitching, I hope that they keep a staff of Santana, Mejia, and Berrios for sure. After that, ugh, not sure whom I want going. Gibson has gotten wins, but only because the Twins have scored a lot for him. Santiago generally does okay, but okay means 3-4 runs in 5-6 innings of work. Hughes I don't know if he'll be starting again, some talk of him going to the pen just to get another arm out there, which I'm not sure about.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ugh, Jose Berrios. Have we legitimately developed a front line starter? In 8 starts this season, Berrios has given up more than 2 runs only twice. Last night he struck out 8 and giving up 2 runs. So far this season he's averaging 6.75 innings per start. He's been tremendous this season.

Buxton too is coming round to form. Since his horrendous 2-49 start, Buxton has been hitting .250/.330/.375 in the last 49 games. He still has a troubling 31% K rate, and a 12% walk rate, but atleast he's giving us some passable offensive numbers to go with his tremendous defensive contribution. I think he'll improve too.

The Gnat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I feel like by years end Buxton will be hitting about .230-240 range, which will be good considering how horrible his start to the season was. I'm fine with that line with his defense (for not) and I suspect/expect that we'll see the average be higher next year and strike outs lower as time goes on.

Also, Berrios is so good. If Santana can rebound a little bit even, say average 6-7 innings in his starts and give up 3 runs a start, that gives us a pair of solid starters that will save the pen, which would be huge right now.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really enjoy Latroy Hawkins in the booth
TENINCH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a difference a week makes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baseball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: