Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

9ers almost traded up to get TJ Watt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no intent to my post here about having to take him because another team wanted him. My post was simply to inform people that they almost did, and it was something to discuss: the possibilities of what the Steelers would have done if Watt hadn't been there. Watt was #1 on my big board for the Steelers anyway, behind only Christian McCaffrey (who was long gone). In the entire draft.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus-Viktor wrote:
There was no intent to my post here about having to take him because another team wanted him. My post was simply to inform people that they almost did, and it was something to discuss: the possibilities of what the Steelers would have done if Watt hadn't been there. Watt was #1 on my big board for the Steelers anyway, behind only Christian McCaffrey (who was long gone). In the entire draft.

McCaffrey? Please explain. I'm curious.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite easy. Best player in college football the last 2 years. I've watched him extensively. He's by far my favorite college player ever, regardless of sport.

So how does he fit the Steelers?

He's an insurance policy against Bell being a junky and suspended again, or greedy and walking in free agency, not to mention depth behind him if he's injured (which is frequent as well).

He's also the best WR in the draft if he played there. Elite slot receiver from day 1 with absolutely everything you'd hope to get out of the position: size, speed, great hands, great routes, good YAC, etc. So if you kept Bell, you'd be adding a great weapon to compliment him, Brown and Bryant (if he isn't a junky and suspended himself). The fact they took JuJu in 2 speaks volumes about their confidence in their WR corp, and it reflects my feelings on it too, as I said before the draft.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus-Viktor wrote:
It is quite easy. Best player in college football the last 2 years. I've watched him extensively. He's by far my favorite college player ever, regardless of sport.

He's an insurance policy against Bell being a junky and suspended again, or greedy and walking in free agency, not to mention depth behind him if he's injured (which is frequent as well).

He's also the best WR in the draft if he played there. Elite slot receiver from day 1 with absolutely everything you'd hope to get out of the position: size, speed, great hands, great routes, good YAC, etc. So if you kept Bell, you'd be adding a great weapon to compliment him, Brown and Bryant (if he isn't a junky and suspended himself). The fact they took JuJu in 2 speaks volumes about their confidence in their WR corp, and it reflects my feelings on it too, as I said before the draft.

You dont draft insurance policies in the first round, especially at a position like RB. Its already bad enough we spent a third round comp on a RB when we had so many bigger needs.

And they drafted Juju in the 2nd round because he was at the top of their draft board and had a first round grade on him. Steeler fans may not like the pick, but they have a good track record with WRs, so we will see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Magnus-Viktor wrote:

You dont draft insurance policies in the first round, especially at a position like RB. Its already bad enough we spent a third round comp on a RB when we had so many bigger needs.

And they drafted Juju in the 2nd round because he was at the top of their draft board and had a first round grade on him. Steeler fans may not like the pick, but they have a good track record with WRs, so we will see how it goes.

Agree with most of this but would clarify one point. They had JuJu on top of their board because of what one can only assume were some reservations about the WR group. If you are completely satisfied with the group, you're not not going to have a WR ranked that high. In other words, if you're "set" at a position that player/position slides down a bit. Which was to a degree Magnus' point. As far as McCaffery, good player. Doesn't help us win NOW because of all the other holes.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said before 43Mafia, you draft him as a WR now, just as they did with JuJu. He simply has ADDED value as a RB. I consider him to be a Marshall Faulk type AND caliber RB. I also consider him to be an extremely elite, and ready to roll version of a Julian Edelman (for lack of a better comparison since I have not seen him actually play WR full time, but I have seen him line up at WR and I know he can run great routes and catch just like an elite WR). With Brown being the only quality WR that is proven and reliable on this roster, WR is a need. If Bell is hurt or not re-signed, RB is a huge need. He kills 2 birds with 1 stone. But as I said, he was long gone so it's a moot point.

Since McCaffrey was long gone, as he should have been (but I suspected the white RB label might drop him, which is probably still did some even if he went at #9), Watt was my #1 guy. I didn't need the knowledge of the 9ers trading up to justify that. I have my reservations on Watt because of a small sample size, but OLB was the biggest and most dire/pressing need and he was my favorite one in this draft.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus-Viktor wrote:

Best player last two years? Nah. Dude is solid but nowhere near best player. Best WR? GTFOH Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing That is based on what? Workout videos?

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCaffrey is a great player, but not for us, not in the 1st round.

Watt made a ton of sense for us, a second round player (imo - at this point) with first round potential at a position of URGENT need. His ceiling is high, his floor is also high. A good pick given what was available.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="armsteeld"][quote="Magnus-Viktor"]It is quite easy. Best player in college football the last 2 years. I've watched him extensively. He's by far my favorite college player ever, regardless of sport.

He's also the best WR in the draft if he played there. Elite slot receiver from day 1 with absolutely everything you'd hope to get out of the position: size, speed, great hands, great routes, good YAC, etc. So if you kept Bell, you'd be adding a great weapon to compliment him, Brown and Bryant (if he isn't a junky and suspended himself). The fact they took JuJu in 2 speaks volumes about their confidence in their WR corp, and it reflects my feelings on it too, as I said before the draft.[/quote]

Best player last two years? Nah. Dude is solid but nowhere near best player. Best WR? GTFOH :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That is based on what? Workout videos?[/quote]

Based on watching him play with my own 2 eyes. I've been watching him since he was a true freshman, every single chance I got. The very first thing I remember seeing of him was a great catch. He high pointed it, caught it cleanly with perfect technique, and I've seen him run routes in games as well. There is literally no doubt in my mind he'd be a great WR if that's where you wanted to play him. (I'm trying the quote function one last time, since I'm using my laptop since I'm stuck in the hellhole otherwise known as Los Angeles for work right now. This place sucks. Then again, I'm probably just grouchy and wore out from a long day and minimal sleep last night.....that doesn't change the validity of what I said about McCaffrey here....I've been saying that for 3 years)
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have any idea why the quote doesn't work for me? It's bizarre. I thought it was just my desktop, but obviously not.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus-Viktor wrote:
Anyone have any idea why the quote doesn't work for me? It's bizarre. I thought it was just my desktop, but obviously not.
It is weird because the "formula" you have before and after what you want to quote seems to be accurate.

warfelg wrote:
Quote:
why does KC have Houston (who is returning from a knee) cover AB on a crucial play? THAT makes no sense

They Butlered themselves. Laughing
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know I am doing it correctly. It just doesn't work. I tried to quote on my laptop and desktop both. It's odd. Rather annoying too. Makes it a lot harder to get the point across accurately.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus-Viktor wrote:
Like I said before 43Mafia, you draft him as a WR now, just as they did with JuJu. He simply has ADDED value as a RB.

Ill take Juju over him if we are going for a straight slot guy....and I wasnt even happy with him in the 2nd round.

I like McCaffery, but I wouldve been sick if we drafted him in the first round....mainly because we had MUCH bigger needs and I dont view McCaffery as a cant miss prospect.

We arent going to agree, so Im just going to stop there.

Quote:

I consider him to be a Marshall Faulk type AND caliber RB.

Type? Fair enough.

Caliber? Laughing He hasnt played a down in the NFL yet, and he is already a Marshall Faulk caliber back? Better prospects than McCaffery have failed in this league. I dont expect McCaffery to fail....but I dont expect him to come anywhere close to Marshall Faulk. Time will tell, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus-Viktor wrote:

It looks like the settings for your post are the issue. I did a preview of the post if I were to quote you and everything looked fine. What I believe you need to do is assure that the "Disable BBCode in this post" check box below the text area is unchecked. Disabling BBCode will not allow the code to be translated and will just print it as text.

Thanks to IDOG_det on the sig.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skywlker32 wrote:
Magnus-Viktor wrote:

It looks like the settings for your post are the issue. I did a preview of the post if I were to quote you and everything looked fine. What I believe you need to do is assure that the "Disable BBCode in this post" check box below the text area is unchecked. Disabling BBCode will not allow the code to be translated and will just print it as text.

If you have a JS blocker you might have to allow Footballsfuture. I use one to block all the ads on the site. Makes it much faster

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: