You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
attack_in_s/b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Raider wrote:
Both Smith and Amerson had stretches of looking like they needed to be cut and stretches where you saw incredible talent and a place on a strong defense. But that was kind of the problem, way too many swings up and down. Smith leveled off a little bit more down the stretch, but his highs weren't as good as Amerson at the start of the season. The incredible inconsistency leads me to believe there's still talent and a fit there but the pass rush is going to have to step up. I have more faith in Amerson than Smith this season because CBS can fall off a cliff and Smith has less athletic ability and if that starts to fade he has less room for error. And right or wrong he was supposed to be our top corner where everyone seems top agree Amerson can be a strong 2.

I actually think DA has a bounce back year and looks like he can be the number 2 for the next couple of years. I think the pass rush picks up some with a healthy (hopefully) MEJ, some development from Ward and Calhoun, Mack takes another step, hopefully he starts stronger than he has to this point in his career, and improvements around him in the secondary. Plus Karl Joseph is my projected breakout player for us on defense and a really good safety does wonders for your corners.

Smith I don't really know what we get. But if I had to guess I'd say we see similar to last year, some really bad stretches, some good ones, and some frustration because you aren't sure which is coming each week. Plus like unlike Amerson he doesn't offer much of anything when it comes to ball skills so while both guys can get beat Amerson is more likely to make up for some of it with getting his hands on the ball either interceptions or tip passes. The good news is I think Smith and Amerson offer enough to let us.work in Conley at a level where we don't have to say hey rookie we have no experience or talent in front of you and we need you to be a lock down guy year one. Conley will make some plays, make some mistakes and hopefully gets better down the stretch and into the playoffs and allows us to play match ups and at least slow some teams down.

I actually thought amerson played well for the most part last year. Did he allow some plays, absolutely. But for the most part I don't recall seeing him get burnt badly and most of the stuff he allowed was pretty contested. In today's NFL that's my biggest expectation is don't allow uncontested catches. Qbs are incredibly accurate and that combined with PIs and holding makes it almost impossible for cbs to break up a lot of passes even with perfect coverage.

IMO the uncontested completions were really what killed us and really hurt our pass rush. At least if the coverage is half decent the qb is going to have to hang onto it a little longer b/c he's throwing into a smaller window - or even go to another read. But when you've got a wide open target he's gonna get it out fast. We were brutal for that. Pass rush has very little room to work when there's someone wide open and that was the case far too often, especially in the middle which is probably the easiest throw a qb can make.

Smith I think we used wrong. Idk about anyone else but I knew when we signed him he's not a guy you put on an island with a speedster and imo that's where he really got exploited and looked terrible. When you put help over the top and let him use his size and length and keep things in front of him that's when he's at his best. That compounded with nelsons lack of range or speed behind him was kind of the perfect storm for big plays.

But I thought it was the middle of the field that was the big problem. The perimeter coverage aside from deep shots against smith wasn't terrible. Hopefully between obi, Joseph and Conley that improves because I do have faith in our pass rush. Just gotta give them a little more time to work b/c nobody's going to get there fast enough when you've got a target in the middle with nobody within 5 yards of him. I'd love to find the stat for average time to sack b/c I feel like most of macks sacks couldn't have been much more than 3 seconds - he had to otherwise there was an easy completion somewhere.
BayRaider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Agreed. Amerson wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. He played good way more than he played bad and never got "owned" throughout a game really. Also had a few games where he looked like a Top 5 CB. Definitely had his rough stretches but it is a bit overblown.

Smith I feel was maybe the worst CB in the league our first two games but we played the #1 and #2 passing offense in the league both games and the Falcons had a Top 10 offense all time. After Week two, he didn't really have any "terrible" games. I agree Smith is a guy that needs safety help and Nelson being slow doesn't help with that. He's definitely not a one on one cover guy with speedsters. If you play Smith to his strength's, he's probably close to a Top 20 CB in the league.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BayRaider wrote:
^ Agreed. Amerson wasn't as bad as people made him out to be. He played good way more than he played bad and never got "owned" throughout a game really. Also had a few games where he looked like a Top 5 CB. Definitely had his rough stretches but it is a bit overblown.

Smith I feel was maybe the worst CB in the league our first two games but we played the #1 and #2 passing offense in the league both games and the Falcons had a Top 10 offense all time. After Week two, he didn't really have any "terrible" games. I agree Smith is a guy that needs safety help and Nelson being slow doesn't help with that. He's definitely not a one on one cover guy with speedsters. If you play Smith to his strength's, he's probably close to a Top 20 CB in the league.

The problem is offenses aren't going to make that easy. In fact they well do everything they can to isolate that weakness.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: