You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oh really? Prove it? Prove it!? Yeahhhh...why don'tcha?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NudeTayne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Oh really? Prove it? Prove it!? Yeahhhh...why don'tcha? Reply with quote

So I was crunching numbers in my head (*beeping noises of computation*) and came to the scientific understanding of "We ain't gettin' jack squat" next year for compensatory picks due to our big signings & how no one of import walked for a big deal this year.

That said, it's time to set up next year (we're likely to just re-sign our own and probably not even touch big name signings in free agency), and I'm sure Raw Fish & Co. are already thinking ahead. There are two obvious names that could net us a pick if we sign them to prove-it deals, with the idea that they will likely walk after this year for greener pastures:

(1) Jeremy Maclin
(2) Eric Decker

I would offer Maclin $10 mil or so for one year, essentially promising him a ton of targets (which he would likely get), possibly even giving him a second year at $8 mil or so that he could opt out of it (it'd be a setup, essentially, to tempt him to walk only if he balls out this year and gets another open market offer next year, thus netting us a 3rd or 4th).

I would offer Decker $7 mil or so for one year. He is coming off injury and may have eyes for one last big contract. If he gets healthy and balls out from week 8 on especially, he may choose to re-sign somewhere else (mutual using between the Browns and Decker Razz) and net us a 4th or so.

As weird as it sounds, over paying by a mil or so could be advantageous to the team in the long run as it puts forth the idea that the player is valuable right now to sign (and then if he has a good year, another team might make a sucker signing and throw a ton of money his way, #triggering a high comp pick).

What number would you offer each (no way we get more than one of them)? Also, are there any other free agents still on the market worth offering a prove-it deal to? I could see this being the slow play of trading for Calvin Pryor--resurgence in Gregg's system & then let walk to get a 3rd compensatory (as I doubt he'll ever be worth throwing big money at for us, though I think he can look good enough to have someone over pay for him when he hits FA). It's slow right now; let's talk about something (holy moley three pages for Calvin Pryor but only two votes in the Kai Nacua thread Wink...Very Happy.).

Bonus question: are there any players on other teams with one year left whom we might trade for cheap with the idea of letting them walk (trade a 6th or 7th with hopes of one year decent production then a future 4th or so?). I can't think of any off the top of my head.

ditchdigger wrote:
DGB thinks people ought to pay for photobucket, but Based Gordon wants it to be free.

Thomas5737 wrote:
I only come here to sit under the quote trees and read.
DizzyDean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, we would give Maclin this type of deal, but not Pryor?
NateDawg

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DizzyDean wrote:

Terrelle is about 13 months younger than Jeremy Maclin. So, age not being a factor, what do you give an edge to Pryor over Maclin exactly? Not productivity, not locker room presence, and certainly not helping to bring along the other young WRs. I'm not the biggest proponent of Maclin coming on the board by any means, but I don't agree with your logic either.
NudeTayne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DizzyDean wrote:

Honestly it was in Pryor's best interest to take a prove-it with Kirk Cousins in a prove-it. I'm assuming he chose them over us.

ditchdigger wrote:
DGB thinks people ought to pay for photobucket, but Based Gordon wants it to be free.

Thomas5737 wrote:
NudeTayne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NateDawg wrote:
DizzyDean wrote:

Terrelle is about 13 months younger than Jeremy Maclin. So, age not being a factor, what do you give an edge to Pryor over Maclin exactly? Not productivity, not locker room presence, and certainly not helping to bring along the other young WRs. I'm not the biggest proponent of Maclin coming on the board by any means, but I don't agree with your logic either.

Agreed. We can all take the homer goggles off. Terrell has left the building. I'll be surprised if he ever becomes a true #1, though he can play in this league. Macli, injury aside, is a better bet as he's been consistently a high two/very low one.

ditchdigger wrote:

Thomas5737 wrote:
DizzyDean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NateDawg wrote:
DizzyDean wrote:

Wear and tear on the body, physical measurables. Pryor is ascending (it appears). He just had his break out year.

Maclin has peaked and appears to be declining.
duke2056

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are people even bringing up Pryors name? He didn't want to be here.
We draft Garrett at #1 (out on a limb there).
We trade back from 12 for another 2018 1st.
We do NOT draft a QB in the first 2 rounds.
NudeTayne

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
Why are people even bringing up Pryors name? He didn't want to be here.

It takes time to let go of young love.

That's why I'd like to bring in a real man (for a prove-it deal), Erik the Deker.

ditchdigger wrote:

Thomas5737 wrote:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: