You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OTA's news and notes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverNBlackFan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
i'm obviously rooting for him to do well. but i'm just calling it like i see it. he disappointed his rookie season. look poor against the run and pass. doesn't mean he's doomed as a player, but hasn't given me anything to be excited about yet.

i dont think that sort of observation should be met with such sensitivity...

As an impatient fan who's expectation is for rookies to be pro ready in their rookie seasons?

The observation is fine. It's the impatient negative tone that makes you look irrational.

The negative tone is warranted, imo.

Nobody expected Calhoun to be Khalil Mack lite in his rookie year. We just expected him, as a third round pick, to show NFL ability, but instead he got badly outplayed by a UDFA in Cowser. This team was begging for a 3rd pass rusher to step up last year and Calhoun was nowhere near close. He also sucked against the run. The guy wasn't some super raw prospect like Jihad Ward either. Calhoun was a 5 year guy, All American, multiple seasons starter at Michigan St on one of the better coached defenses in CFB by Dantonio.

He absolutely should've been better last year. And nobody should be shamed for having a pessimistic outlook regarding Calhoun. We all hope for the best but he looked like a scrub last year with very little NFL ability.
NightTrainLane

Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverNBlackFan wrote:
big_palooka wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:
i'm obviously rooting for him to do well. but i'm just calling it like i see it. he disappointed his rookie season. look poor against the run and pass. doesn't mean he's doomed as a player, but hasn't given me anything to be excited about yet.

i dont think that sort of observation should be met with such sensitivity...

As an impatient fan who's expectation is for rookies to be pro ready in their rookie seasons?

The observation is fine. It's the impatient negative tone that makes you look irrational.

The negative tone is warranted, imo.

Nobody expected Calhoun to be Khalil Mack lite in his rookie year. We just expected him, as a third round pick, to show NFL ability, but instead he got badly outplayed by a UDFA in Cowser. This team was begging for a 3rd pass rusher to step up last year and Calhoun was nowhere near close. He also sucked against the run. The guy wasn't some super raw prospect like Jihad Ward either. Calhoun was a 5 year guy, All American, multiple seasons starter at Michigan St on one of the better coached defenses in CFB by Dantonio.

He absolutely should've been better last year. And nobody should be shamed for having a pessimistic outlook regarding Calhoun. We all hope for the best but he looked like a scrub last year with very little NFL ability.

First thing is he was a project in that he played with his hand on the ground in college predominately and was going to be asked to back up Irvin in the Raiders defense scheme. He additional was placed in even more of a pressured position when the defense changed with the injury to MEJ.

But let me be clear, I don't have a problem with people giving their opinion. I do it all the time. I was pointing out that it was unwarranted and unnecessary in the context that it was presented. To the point that it was hard to see it as a legit opinion but as trolling expedition.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
when the defense changed with the injury to MEJ. .

What do you mean? In which way did it change?
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
when the defense changed with the injury to MEJ. .

What do you mean? In which way did it change?

I wasn't referring to us changing the defense as in from 4-3under to 5-2 or something like that. Just the change in pressure coming the interior not being as extreme so the edge defenders jobs became harder and their production suffered.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shalom Luani had a couple nice plays on the day. The pick six on Connor Cook and later knocking down a pass from Carr to what appeared to be a wide open Amari Cooper up the left sideline. Luani came flying over from center field to swat the ball down. This is one seventh rounder who is making a serious case for playing time.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/6/14/15804564/raiders-minicamp-day-two-notes-gareon-conley-sidelined-ej-manuel-jumps-connor-cook-depth-chart
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oakdb36 wrote:
Quote:
Shalom Luani had a couple nice plays on the day. The pick six on Connor Cook and later knocking down a pass from Carr to what appeared to be a wide open Amari Cooper up the left sideline. Luani came flying over from center field to swat the ball down. This is one seventh rounder who is making a serious case for playing time.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/6/14/15804564/raiders-minicamp-day-two-notes-gareon-conley-sidelined-ej-manuel-jumps-connor-cook-depth-chart

TBH I absolutely loved our 7th round. Hester was on my radar, Ware looks like he can develop, Luani is a ball hawk and Hood was a star two years ago. Sure they could all be duds, but I'm going to keep an eye on all 4 of these players.
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another quote from that article regarding a guy people like:

Quote:
Cook then took the field again and again threw a pick six on a telegraphed out route. This time it was undrafted rookie Breon Borders who snatched it and ran the other way.

raiderrocker18

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad stop being so negative Crying or Very sad
raidr4life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Levi Damien‏Verified account @LeviDamien 8h8 hours ago
More
Gorgeous pass and catch from EJ Manuel to Cordarrelle Patterson. In strife over shoulder on corner route for TD. #Raiders

More
Another Manuel to Patterson TD pass. This time over the middle on a cross. #Raiders

More
Shalom Luani undercuts out pass from Connor Cook to Isaac Whitney for pick six. #Raiders

More
EJ Manuel took second team snaps with Connor Cook third team. Then they both played like it. Manuel 2 TD's, Cook pick six. #Raiders

More
Derek Carr with perfect pass up right sideline to Seth Roberts with TJ Carrie in tow. #Raiders

Vic Tafur‏Verified account @VicTafur 8h8 hours ago
More
Raiders are excited about @ceeflashpee84 and you can see why so far. Big, very fast, has caught everything and has had some nice runs

Jerry McDonald‏ @Jerrymcd 8h8 hours ago
More
LB Cory James sniffs out back to back short pass attempts by EJ Manuel.

More
Marquel Lee goes up high and gets hands on EJ Manuel pass over the middle but can't pull it down. #Raiders

Vic Tafur‏Verified account @VicTafur 7h7 hours ago
More
Rookie Hester getting first-team reps at DT over Ellis again. Edwards the other DT

Levi Damien‏Verified account @LeviDamien 7h7 hours ago
More
Cordarrelle Patterson goes up high to snatch pass over the top of Dexter McDonald from EJ Manuel up right sideline #Raiders

More
Shalom Luani gets his hands on another pass. This time leaps to knock down deep ball attempt from Carr for Amari Cooper. #Raiders

Jimmy Durkin‏Verified account @Jimmy_Durkin 7h7 hours ago
More
Starting to see what Reggie McKenzie was talking about. Luani just got a hand on a ball toward the end zone thrown by Carr.
raidr4life

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeManDan wrote:
What's the word on Patterson?
Paul Gutierrez‏Verified account @PGutierrezESPN 7h7 hours ago
More
Cordarrelle Patterson has been a revelation at receiver for the Raiders this offseason...yes, only in OTAs and... http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0666736558677695094-4
OakRaiders3828

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:

Who?
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OakRaiders3828 wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:

Who?

He is trolling and/or clueless as usual.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:

Who?

RaiderX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raidr4life wrote:
More
Gorgeous pass and catch from EJ Manuel to Cordarrelle Patterson. In strife over shoulder on corner route for TD. #Raiders

More
Another Manuel to Patterson TD pass. This time over the middle on a cross. #Raiders

More
Shalom Luani undercuts out pass from Connor Cook to Isaac Whitney for pick six. #Raiders

More
EJ Manuel took second team snaps with Connor Cook third team. Then they both played like it. Manuel 2 TD's, Cook pick six. #Raiders

More
Derek Carr with perfect pass up right sideline to Seth Roberts with TJ Carrie in tow. #Raiders

Vic Tafur‏Verified account @VicTafur 8h8 hours ago
More
Raiders are excited about @ceeflashpee84 and you can see why so far. Big, very fast, has caught everything and has had some nice runs

Jerry McDonald‏ @Jerrymcd 8h8 hours ago
More
LB Cory James sniffs out back to back short pass attempts by EJ Manuel.

More
Marquel Lee goes up high and gets hands on EJ Manuel pass over the middle but can't pull it down. #Raiders

Vic Tafur‏Verified account @VicTafur 7h7 hours ago
More
Rookie Hester getting first-team reps at DT over Ellis again. Edwards the other DT

More
Cordarrelle Patterson goes up high to snatch pass over the top of Dexter McDonald from EJ Manuel up right sideline #Raiders

More
Shalom Luani gets his hands on another pass. This time leaps to knock down deep ball attempt from Carr for Amari Cooper. #Raiders

Jimmy Durkin‏Verified account @Jimmy_Durkin 7h7 hours ago
More
Starting to see what Reggie McKenzie was talking about. Luani just got a hand on a ball toward the end zone thrown by Carr.

I feel like this is a great situation for Manual. Really was a reach and forced into action when he wasn't polished in Buffalo. He showed flashes in his rookie season and has the physical talent to start for anybody. The coaching and developing will happen behind Carr and hopefuly be a really good backup.

SaveourSonics wrote:
Yea, RaiderX wins. We can all just top acting like this is a matter of opinion. MY GOD.
NightTrainLane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raiderrocker18 wrote:
NightTrainLane wrote:
OakRaiders3828 wrote:
raiderrocker18 wrote:

Who?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: