Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OTA news

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: OTA news Reply with quote

It's time to wake this forum up a little, man it is a long offseason.

Jay Ajayi** Jay reported to the OTA's in the best physical condition of his life. He reportedly added about 5 lbs of muscle. His explosion and physicality is off the charts. The OC commented that Jays attitude about the game has changed, he is more focused, and more determined. The entire running back group came into the OTA in top physical condition. They are working hard on pass protection this year, and receiving out of the backfield.

Xavian Howard** X is finally showing the top notch technique the Dolphins hoped for last year. He is fully healthy, in shape, and has been blanketing WR's so far. Even without contact, he has been all over the routes, many times beating the WR to the ball. No matter who he covers, Landry, DVP, Stills, Grant, he has been running in stride with the WR. He knows the playbook, and what his responsibilities are, and is able to just focus on playing.

Charles Harris**Harris's speed and quickness are legit. He also has a toolbox of pass rushing moves. He has been working with Tunsil, and his balance, ability to change direction, reminds everyone of a young Cam Wake. His biggest challenge this year is going to be adding strength. Once the pads come on, Tunsil is going to maul the heck out of Harris, and he won't be able to just run around him. Coaches are happy to see that Harris has already dropped some body fat, and his overall conditioning is very good.

Isaac Asiata** IA has really impressed coaches. His feet, hips, and balance for a man his size are impressive. The OC guaranteed reporters that IA will be competing for starting time at LG. Even without contact, his ability to read the D and get in the right spot is impressive. IA will be working against Suh during training camp, and said he will be excited to get the pads on. IA has been putting in extra time to get the language the offense uses down. He is already one of the strongest O-lineman on the team.

Rashad Jones**Jones had developed into one of the leaders on defense. The young secondary players are turning to Jones for guidance. Jones stated that this is going to be the most talented secondary he has played in. The entire unit is playing together, they know what to do, and they will be able to take risks this season because of it. Jones said that with the new LB unit, he no longer has to worry about late runs and can really tune into the passing game.

LB's**Timmons, Alonso, and McMillan have all been working very well together. The defense is gong to move them around, they won't have traditional designations. So on certain plays, any of the LB's could be Mike, Sam, or Whiskey. This same approach is going to used for the secondary as well, with CB rotating between boundary and slot, based on what the offense is doing.

It looks like 3 rookies could earn significant playing time this year, as Harris, Asiata, and McMillian could all play important roles.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: OTA news Reply with quote

ericsvibe wrote:
It looks like 3 rookies could earn significant playing time this year, as Harris, Asiata, and McMillian could all play important roles.

To piggyback off of this, rookie CB Tankersely is not likely to get much playing time on defense this year, per the Miami Herald. Byron Maxwell is penciled in as starting CB1, with Howard and Lippett competing for the other boundary spot. Bobby McCain is the favorite, at this time, for the nickel CB job.
smokeRICKYsmoke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised the forum is so dead with all the potential and talent this team has.

I am excited for this team every year but this year is different. Gase has turned this team and culture around. I love it!

-xbox live - KINGKONG609 And -PSN - TIME2SHINE609
hrubes20

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokeRICKYsmoke wrote:
Surprised the forum is so dead with all the potential and talent this team has.

I am excited for this team every year but this year is different. Gase has turned this team and culture around. I love it!

Even with OTAs, this is still a really dead time for the NFL. It'll pick up again the closer we get to August.

Big thanks to Big_Palooka on the sig!
Kaiowas05

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbh the forum scene isnt the done thing anymore. I remember when I first joined, this plas was hiving. I think there's an element of offseason but also an element of people communicating in different ways
Belfast Trojans #32 Shamrock Bowl winner '12, '13, '14 and '15
EFAF Atlantic Cup Winner 2013 and 2015
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaiowas05 wrote:
tbh the forum scene isnt the done thing anymore. I remember when I first joined, this plas was hiving. I think there's an element of offseason but also an element of people communicating in different ways

For sure. I think Webby is looking into updating the forum software though which could definitely help. In the age of twitter and reddit, the fact we're a forum running on forum software developed nearly two decades ago doesn't attract younger users.

Nacho Simulation Football League
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Tunsil's injury isn't serious but he could be held out of minicamp:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/06/13/laremy-tunsil-might-miss-minicamp-with-leg-injury/

Not a good sign for a guy who needs all the reps he can get at LT.

cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LT Laremy Tunsil is nursing a "minor" leg injury and likely won't participate in this week's minicamp.

Per the Miami Herald, it's not a serious injury and if there were a game this weekend he would play.

Sam Young will fill in at LT.
TheKillerNacho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
LT Laremy Tunsil is nursing a "minor" leg injury and likely won't participate in this week's minicamp.

Per the Miami Herald, it's not a serious injury and if there were a game this weekend he would play.

git ninja'd

cddolphin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
cddolphin wrote:

git ninja'd

Miami Herald > PFT

I win
ericsvibe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more bits from mini camp. DVP seems to finally be taking his job seriously. The coaching staff has made a point of singling him out as a young player that is taking the next step, transitioning into a seasoned veteran.

McMillian is hitting a rookie wall right now, and is struggling with the playbook. Mike Hull at the moment, looks to be the 3rd LB, but he is physically limited.

Here is a breakdown of last years draft picks.

Tunsil. He tweaked him hamstring, and missed mini camp. However, he will be the starting LT. As far as physical condition, he reported at the same weight as last season, so he hasn't lost anything from last year.

Howard. He is currently the #2 CB. He has played lights out so far, and reported to camp is the best condition he has been in so far. He knows the playbook and his responsibilities, and could be the #1 CB by the start of the season.

Drake. He is currently the #2 RB, and 3rd down back. Reported to camp in top shape. He has also been working on KR/PR duties, and special teams. Drake has also been running a lot of routes, working on his receiving skills.

Carroo. He has owned up to his immaturity last year, and has worked hard to learn the playbook. He is also working on special teams, something he basically refused to do last year. He reported to camp in great shape, and his attitude has improved. He has the physical talent to be an interior WR if he will apply himself.

Grant. Grant has worked all offseason on punt returns, something he didn't have allot of experience with in college. He has also spent time learning the playbook, and has become a more consistent route runner. Gase really wants Grant to play WR, as his speed and quickness makes him a weapon out of the slot. Reporters noted that Grant ran allot of deep routes in practice, and his role seems to have increased.

Lucas. So far, Lucas and Carroo have been the biggest disappointments from the draft class. Lucas last year was lost, he didn't know the playbook, or what he was supposed to do. He also wansnt very aggressive on specials teams. It has been reported that he has worked hard on special teams, but his roster spot is at serious risk, unless he can show that he can be a lockdown special teamer.

Doughty. So far, he has been able to lock down the #3 QB spot. In camp, reporters have noted that Doughty seems to know the offense, and has an accurate arm. If Moore wasn't so good, Doughty would have a shot at #2.

Duarte. He came into camp last year not knowing how to block, and having never contributed to the running game in college. Last year he worked hard on those skills. If Thomas fails as the move TE, Duarte could have an opportunity to get some playing time. His skills as a receiver have never been in doubt. He needs to get to 240 lbs to be more effective. At any rate, he should be able to compete at the 3rd TE spot.

Gase himself said that last years draft class needs to step up this season to improve the team, especially special teams. With the speed we have in this draft, it doesn't make sense that our coverage units have struggled. Hopefully these young players will step up an make a difference. If not, 3 players from this draft class may not make it past training camp this year, with Carroo, Lucas, and Duarte on notice.
cddolphin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericsvibe wrote:
Doughty. So far, he has been able to lock down the #3 QB spot. In camp, reporters have noted that Doughty seems to know the offense, and has an accurate arm. If Moore wasn't so good, Doughty would have a shot at #2.

Duarte. He came into camp last year not knowing how to block, and having never contributed to the running game in college. Last year he worked hard on those skills. If Thomas fails as the move TE, Duarte could have an opportunity to get some playing time. His skills as a receiver have never been in doubt. He needs to get to 240 lbs to be more effective. At any rate, he should be able to compete at the 3rd TE spot.

I keep hearing that Matt Moore is a good backup and the coaching staff says "he could start for multiple teams", but I just didn't see it at the end of last season. Looked physically limited and a tad reckless. At this point, I'd almost rather keep young talent if they only carry two QBs. Season is over if Tannehill goes down anyway.

Duarte has an uphill battle. Julius Thomas, Anthony Fasano and MarQueis Gray are all locks for the roster.. it's true they carried 4 TEs last season at times but I'm not sure that's a given. I think he still has practice squad eligibility.
green4gulf

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cddolphin wrote:
ericsvibe wrote:

I keep hearing that Matt Moore is a good backup and the coaching staff says "he could start for multiple teams", but I just didn't see it at the end of last season. Looked physically limited and a tad reckless. At this point, I'd almost rather keep young talent if they only carry two QBs. Season is over if Tannehill goes down anyway.

Duarte has an uphill battle. Julius Thomas, Anthony Fasano and MarQueis Gray are all locks for the roster.. it's true they carried 4 TEs last season at times but I'm not sure that's a given. I think he still has practice squad eligibility.

I agree about Moore. He looked out of sync with the Offense, particularly his timing with the Recievers. I imagine he just hasn't gotten the reps he needs with Tannehill learning a new system.

Additionally it has recently been stated that Gase reached out to Peyton Manning to test his temperature on filling in while Tannehill was injured.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/dolphins_reached_out_to_peyton_manning_about_possible_comeback/s1_127_24236977

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Miami Dolphins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: