Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Patriots extend Julian Edelman for 2018-19 (2 YR/11M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Starless


Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Posts: 11299
Location: The worst of all possible realities
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancerman wrote:
Starless wrote:
KennyBania wrote:
Starless wrote:
I'm somewhat surprised because it seemed to me like the recent moves the team made (signing Hogan, trading for Cooks) coupled with the emergence of Malcolm Mitchell suggested that the team was ready to move on from Edelman. But I guess they feel like he still has something to contribute beyond 2017.


Edelman is just a different receiver with a different skillset than the names you mentioned. He's critical for what New England does working in and around the hash marks.
Well the other thing is that he's also going to be the same age that Wes Welker was when the Pats cut bait with him and has quite an injury history.


Welker had concussion issues

And Edelman doesn't?
Quote:

that piled up and he was a shell of himself two years after leaving the Patriots.

The concussions didn't become a problem for Welker until he was already in Denver.
Quote:

They also knew they had Edeleman waiting in the wings.

Which is why they gave Danny Amendola a 5-year/$31 million deal that same offseason, right? Think
Quote:

Edelman is crucial to the Patriots offense and is really the old faithful hand that you can feed the ball to so Brady gets in a rhythm and it opens up other plays.
Maybe so but they're clearly breaking precedent with this deal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DingoLadd


Joined: 29 Jan 2017
Posts: 271
Location: MD.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteelKing728 wrote:
DingoLadd wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
DingoLadd wrote:
PatriotsWin! wrote:
DingoLadd wrote:
I think this is a win for Julian Edelman because he knows he's screwed if he leaves new england.

As for the patriots Julian Edelman isn't a necessity to their offense anymore, Hogan could've easily replaced his role in the offense and done just as well. I get why they did it but with the injury history Edelman has and all the weapons the patriots have this seems like a waste of money. But who am I to doubt Bill Bellicheck.


Only thing Edelman and Hogan have in common is that they're both white. Completely different players with very different skill sets.


Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.


You must be new to football....


Sarcasm obviously. Hogan may be a different player but I don't doubt he could fill the slot receiver role.


Julio Jones can play in the slot. so can Odell Beckham Jr. and Antonio Brown.

are they all similar to Julian Edelman too?


Julian Edelman is a role player who would struggle to produce outside of new england, All of those players are top 5 talents at the WR position.

Chris Hogan could fill his role if they chose to move on, But they're obviously not since they just paid him.[/i]
_________________
I'm a San Diego(Now LA but bleep that) Chargers fan.

Long live Phillip Rivers and his constant carrying of this god awful team.

Also go (South Carolina) Charleston Dingoes. Looking for a co-owner for a fantasy team so PM me please.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starless


Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Posts: 11299
Location: The worst of all possible realities
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DingoLadd wrote:
SteelKing728 wrote:
DingoLadd wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
DingoLadd wrote:
PatriotsWin! wrote:
DingoLadd wrote:
I think this is a win for Julian Edelman because he knows he's screwed if he leaves new england.

As for the patriots Julian Edelman isn't a necessity to their offense anymore, Hogan could've easily replaced his role in the offense and done just as well. I get why they did it but with the injury history Edelman has and all the weapons the patriots have this seems like a waste of money. But who am I to doubt Bill Bellicheck.


Only thing Edelman and Hogan have in common is that they're both white. Completely different players with very different skill sets.


Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.


You must be new to football....


Sarcasm obviously. Hogan may be a different player but I don't doubt he could fill the slot receiver role.


Julio Jones can play in the slot. so can Odell Beckham Jr. and Antonio Brown.

are they all similar to Julian Edelman too?


Julian Edelman is a role player who would struggle to produce outside of new england, All of those players are top 5 talents at the WR position.
aaaaand you base this on...?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lancerman


Joined: 06 Feb 2011
Posts: 8659
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
lancerman wrote:
Starless wrote:
KennyBania wrote:
Starless wrote:
I'm somewhat surprised because it seemed to me like the recent moves the team made (signing Hogan, trading for Cooks) coupled with the emergence of Malcolm Mitchell suggested that the team was ready to move on from Edelman. But I guess they feel like he still has something to contribute beyond 2017.


Edelman is just a different receiver with a different skillset than the names you mentioned. He's critical for what New England does working in and around the hash marks.
Well the other thing is that he's also going to be the same age that Wes Welker was when the Pats cut bait with him and has quite an injury history.


Welker had concussion issues

And Edelman doesn't?
Quote:

that piled up and he was a shell of himself two years after leaving the Patriots.

The concussions didn't become a problem for Welker until he was already in Denver.
Quote:

They also knew they had Edeleman waiting in the wings.

Which is why they gave Danny Amendola a 5-year/$31 million deal that same offseason, right? Think
Quote:

Edelman is crucial to the Patriots offense and is really the old faithful hand that you can feed the ball to so Brady gets in a rhythm and it opens up other plays.
Maybe so but they're clearly breaking precedent with this deal.


Edelman's brain isn't mush. And yeah considering he declined a year after leaving, they made the right move with Welker.

Point is they had two players waiting in the wings that they saw potential to replace Welker with. Right now they don't have somebody that could fill that role.

The situations are different
_________________
Signature
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starless


Joined: 05 Jan 2015
Posts: 11299
Location: The worst of all possible realities
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancerman wrote:
Starless wrote:
lancerman wrote:
Starless wrote:
KennyBania wrote:
Starless wrote:
I'm somewhat surprised because it seemed to me like the recent moves the team made (signing Hogan, trading for Cooks) coupled with the emergence of Malcolm Mitchell suggested that the team was ready to move on from Edelman. But I guess they feel like he still has something to contribute beyond 2017.


Edelman is just a different receiver with a different skillset than the names you mentioned. He's critical for what New England does working in and around the hash marks.
Well the other thing is that he's also going to be the same age that Wes Welker was when the Pats cut bait with him and has quite an injury history.


Welker had concussion issues

And Edelman doesn't?
Quote:

that piled up and he was a shell of himself two years after leaving the Patriots.

The concussions didn't become a problem for Welker until he was already in Denver.
Quote:

They also knew they had Edeleman waiting in the wings.

Which is why they gave Danny Amendola a 5-year/$31 million deal that same offseason, right? Think
Quote:

Edelman is crucial to the Patriots offense and is really the old faithful hand that you can feed the ball to so Brady gets in a rhythm and it opens up other plays.
Maybe so but they're clearly breaking precedent with this deal.


Edelman's brain isn't mush.

Extremely debatable. Have you seen this picture?
Quote:

Point is they had two players waiting in the wings that they saw potential to replace Welker with. Right now they don't have somebody that could fill that role.

The situations are different
They just used a 1st round pick to acquire Brandin Cooks, who can do everything Edelman does, and then some.

Last edited by Starless on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lancerman


Joined: 06 Feb 2011
Posts: 8659
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starless wrote:
lancerman wrote:
Starless wrote:
lancerman wrote:
Starless wrote:
KennyBania wrote:
Starless wrote:
I'm somewhat surprised because it seemed to me like the recent moves the team made (signing Hogan, trading for Cooks) coupled with the emergence of Malcolm Mitchell suggested that the team was ready to move on from Edelman. But I guess they feel like he still has something to contribute beyond 2017.


Edelman is just a different receiver with a different skillset than the names you mentioned. He's critical for what New England does working in and around the hash marks.
Well the other thing is that he's also going to be the same age that Wes Welker was when the Pats cut bait with him and has quite an injury history.


Welker had concussion issues

And Edelman doesn't?
Quote:

that piled up and he was a shell of himself two years after leaving the Patriots.

The concussions didn't become a problem for Welker until he was already in Denver.
Quote:

They also knew they had Edeleman waiting in the wings.

Which is why they gave Danny Amendola a 5-year/$31 million deal that same offseason, right? Think
Quote:

Edelman is crucial to the Patriots offense and is really the old faithful hand that you can feed the ball to so Brady gets in a rhythm and it opens up other plays.
Maybe so but they're clearly breaking precedent with this deal.


Edelman's brain isn't mush.

Extremely debatable. Have you seen [url=http://www.gettyimages.com/event/143rd-kentucky-derby-atmosphere-700045543?esource=SEO_GIS_CDN_Redirect#dannielynn-birkhead-and-larry-birkhead-attend-the-143rd-kentucky-at-picture-id679732492]this picture?


Quote:

Point is they had two players waiting in the wings that they saw potential to replace Welker with. Right now they don't have somebody that could fill that role.

The situations are different
They just used a 1st round pick to acquire Brandin Cooks, who can do everything Edelman does, and then some.[/quote]

Cooks isn't there to do what Edelman is doing. If anything they will compliment each other. They want Cooks for his breakaway speed.
_________________
Signature
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group