Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

OBJ Skipping OTAs to show desire for new contract

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: OBJ Skipping OTAs to show desire for new contract Reply with quote

Well yea. $1.8mil next year? Pay the man.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19567136/odell-beckham-jr-new-york-giants-skipped-otas-show-desire-new-contract

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He should wait in line, just like everyone else from his draft class. He's making bank off of endorsements. Nike, Pepsi, Head and Shoulders are the big ones and I'm sure there are dozens of smaller ones. I'll bet he's raking in well over 10 mil on that alone.

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
He should wait in line, just like everyone else from his draft class. He's making bank off of endorsements. Nike, Pepsi, Head and Shoulders are the big ones and I'm sure there are dozens of smaller ones. I'll bet he's raking in well over 10 mil on that alone.

Easy for you to say when you're not the one with millions at stake. Yeah, he's making plenty of money from other sources, but he'd be an idiot to play his hand poorly and potentially miss out on millions. He's been a top 10 player in the league pretty much since the beginning of his career, FAR outperforming his rookie contract. This offense was literally the OBJ show since he burst on the scene. You want him to do like Hakeem Nicks, and come risk an injury that can derail his career in OTAs? No thanks. I fully support his decision. He's too talented and worked too hard to this point to start making decisions that can throw it away with being compensated for it.
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
Gmen wrote:

Easy for you to say when you're not the one with millions at stake. Yeah, he's making plenty of money from other sources, but he'd be an idiot to play his hand poorly and potentially miss out on millions. He's been a top 10 player in the league pretty much since the beginning of his career, FAR outperforming his rookie contract. This offense was literally the OBJ show since he burst on the scene. You want him to do like Hakeem Nicks, and come risk an injury that can derail his career in OTAs? No thanks. I fully support his decision. He's too talented and worked too hard to this point to start making decisions that can throw it away with being compensated for it.

Also consider I'm sure Cruz told him to make sure he got paid. One knee injury and he could be done and potentially leaving tens (hundreds?) of millions of dollars on the table. He has the chance to renegotiate his contract and he should take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How common is it for players to get long term deals after their 3rd year? Is there a precedent?

"Has courage and poise. In my opinion, most of all, he has that quality you can't define. Call it magic."

- Ernie Accorsi scouting report of Eli
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
How common is it for players to get long term deals after their 3rd year? Is there a precedent?

I don't believe so, but there's also no precedent for what he's done in terms of production.

http://web.yesnetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150925&content_id=151565728

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/6/13541394/odell-beckham-jr-giants-receiving-record-touchdown

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2016/01/giants_odell_beckham_jr_breaks_randy_moss_nfl_reco.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/nov/15/odell-beckham-jr-becomes-fastest-player-to-record-/

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18056800

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read the Bucs and Mike Evans are working on an extension as well, so it's not exactly unheard of. Especially with transcendent talents like this. You guys should be hoping he gets locked up long term.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O'Dell is a top 3 WR in the league regardless of how many years he has played. He is also not a one year wonder. He has produced all 3 years. He does have a little more diva in him than I like personally, but at practice/weight room/locker room he isn't a cancer. He is a hard worker, he does want a championship over stat, and he deserves a raise from a production stand point. His teammates likely are not faulting him for wanting to redo his rookie deal given the plays he's produced on the field.

You think LA wouldn't lock up Aaron Donald (reports are they are going to soon)? When you become more valuable than your contract than you've earn the rights to try and renegotiate. JR doesn't have to, but it's really in the organizations best interest to do so. I am actually not as concerned with him missing OTA's as the coaches seem to be. You know what you have in O'Dell. Why not give guys like Darius Powe/Travis Rudolph/King/Lewis (before the OVI incident) more reps? These are the practices they should be getting more reps with OBJ being sprinkled in for a handful of plays. Brandon Marshall should be there practicing given that he is new to this offense. Then come training camps it's time to start gearing towards the season, and the first team take most the reps to be had.

I truly believe that OBJ will be the first non-QB to average 20 million a year with his next contract, and I believe he deserves it. With salary cap going to continue to rise it will not be hard for the Cap magicians to work the contract to give them some breathing room as the current big 4's contract expire. I would do the deal this year, but if you asked me to put money on what JR will do? I think he waits this year out, and OBJ gets the 20 million plus contract next offseason. Pugh is let go while Richburg is retained. I think an attempt to keep them both will be made, but if it is one or the other I think they value Richburg over Pugh. Just my guess though.
percellovegiant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hearing there are 44 receivers in the league that are paid more money than him, that's insane!!!! Pay the man!!
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

percellovegiant wrote:
I'm hearing there are 44 receivers in the league that are paid more money than him, that's insane!!!! Pay the man!!

...of course there are, he's on a rookie contract. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GmenSeattle wrote:
percellovegiant wrote:

...of course there are, he's on a rookie contract. Razz
I know he is on a rookie contact duh! Thus the conversation we are having, I wrote the statement figuring this is the same thing he is thinking!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course this has to hang over this team all season now...for once can we have a really competitive team with no headlines and not too many close games so I don't have a heart attack every week. Is that really too much to ask for???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: