You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Darren Sproles 2017 Expectations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLick12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Just no. The team is FAR (yes, caps) better served keeping him to (in theory) help guys like Smallwood and Pumphrey develop than taking whatever conditional garbage some other team won't throw at them anyway. At that point, you're better off just releasing him for the cap space.

Ah yes, the Miles Austin "Mentor" role. I'm sure Sproles will teach these young bucks things Duce Staley could never even dream of.

Actualy Sproles can. Duce sure as hell can teach/show live by example. Not in this Offense. Especially to a RB like Pumphrey. Sproles is in many ways no different then Chase Daniels last season for Wentz. Sure there was a QB coach, OC and HC but not on the field follow my example type teaching.

If your going to take that stance on Sproles then you Don't believe Alshon can have a positive impact on our young WR's either, right? It's all Groh? Nothing AJ can teach by example?

Probably not. DJax trained with Jerry Rice and he still can't beat press coverage. Either these guys will get it or they won't, on their own. Jordan Matthews works his tail off all year and hasn't gotten better since week 1 of his rookie year. Zach Ertz practices right next to Brent Celek, but still hasn't learned how to break a tackle. Either something in their brain will click or it won't. Maybe a "mentor" is that something, but based on previous mentors, I doubt it. Trent Cole mentored B Graham, and B Graham coincidentally really wasn't good until 58 left. Miles Austin mentored Agholor and now Agholor is the worst WR in the NFL. DeMeco Ryans mentored Mychal Kendricks right into the dirt. We need to stop letting players mentor other players. Even Brian Dawkins was a terrible mentor outside of Michael Lewis.

Quentin Mikell was a UDFA that played exactly like Brian Dawkins (in terms of style, obviously not skill level) and gave him enormous credit for his success in the NFL. Q was a pretty good safety for a number of years.

The whole mentorship thing can be overblown, for sure, but there are definitely guys that lead well and those underneath them pick up things whether it be traits, tendencies, or other nuances in the game that they might not otherwise.
D-Lo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody who wants to trade Sproles should stop playing Madden all day. Its an idiotic and terrible business move. You don't trade a guy like him unless he asks for a trade and maybe not even then. This is some Chip Kelly ish.
Danger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lo wrote:
Anybody who wants to trade Sproles should stop playing Madden all day. Its an idiotic and terrible business move. You don't trade a guy like him unless he asks for a trade and maybe not even then. This is some Chip Kelly ish.

I don't think you understand what they're getting at. You trade Sproles only if midway through the season you're clearly not in playoff contention. Why not get something for him and give him a chance to play for something greater before he retires?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
A lot of you are sounding real anti-Barkley/Guice right now. Sounding like a bunch of wimps. Do you want Barkley/Guice or not? Trading Sproles does what? Turns our 7 win team into a 6 win team? Sproles is done after this year! Trade him to a playoff team so he can go out with a little dignity and we can have an extra 5th round pick to package in our move up for Barkley or Guice. Sproles gets like 8 touches a game. Move on. Give those touches to Pomme Frites and Barner. Is Barner still on the roster? Trade him (Sproles) to SD. Err...The Chargers. Heck, trade him to Andy.

Meh. Barkley is overrated and Guice has caught 14 balls in his college career. I'd be shocked if the Eagles picked either if they were on the board. I'm fully expecting to see them pick an OT in round 1. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles pick the other Georgia RB, Sony Michel, as a scheme fit later on if they went with an SEC RB.

I know. Blasphemy.

Barkley overrated?

What?

Then has us passing on Chubbs to to take Michel later... What's going on in this post?

I'd have taken Barkley over McCaffery this year for sure. I'm guessing he'll be taken somewhere around where McCaffery was. A plethora of QB's will make him slide a little bit probably.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Jeezla wrote:
A lot of you are sounding real anti-Barkley/Guice right now. Sounding like a bunch of wimps. Do you want Barkley/Guice or not? Trading Sproles does what? Turns our 7 win team into a 6 win team? Sproles is done after this year! Trade him to a playoff team so he can go out with a little dignity and we can have an extra 5th round pick to package in our move up for Barkley or Guice. Sproles gets like 8 touches a game. Move on. Give those touches to Pomme Frites and Barner. Is Barner still on the roster? Trade him (Sproles) to SD. Err...The Chargers. Heck, trade him to Andy.

Meh. Barkley is overrated and Guice has caught 14 balls in his college career. I'd be shocked if the Eagles picked either if they were on the board. I'm fully expecting to see them pick an OT in round 1. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Eagles pick the other Georgia RB, Sony Michel, as a scheme fit later on if they went with an SEC RB.

I know. Blasphemy.

So? It's just not something LSU asks a ton of with their RB's.

So the Eagles tend to like more versatile backs. Guice has not demonstrated that whether it be due to scheme or skill set. I would still be surprised if they took a RB in round 1.
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bednarik60 wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Jeezla wrote:

I know. Blasphemy.

Barkley overrated?

What?

Then has us passing on Chubbs to to take Michel later... What's going on in this post?

I have seen too many people claim he is a better prospect than Elliot or Gurley were coming out of college. At this point, that is laughable. From a stastistical standpoint, I have a real issue considering a college back who has never exceeded 5.5 YPC for a season, let alone for his career, an elite level prospect. I like his skill set as a fit, just not as a 1st rounder. Perhaps this year he changes my mind?

That was not a mock draft. I had the Eagles passing on noone. I simply used a guy as an example of a player who might be available later that the team could consider a good fit.
Phire

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time we drafted a 1st round RB was 1986. I know that has no bearing on the future but might be more indicative of long-term trends. I'm going to wager when we flame out of playoff contention this year it's going to be due to poor CB play which is currently and should continue to be an area of considerable need for us. RB is notoriously plug-and-play and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the Eagles' approach (drafting Smallwood, then Pumphrey).

Location: #FSU #2012 Eagles HoF #2012 Gold Standard #YAKtoseIntolerant #TrollyRangers #Danes #CAVALRY #DERWIN
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danger wrote:
D-Lo wrote:

I don't think you understand what they're getting at. You trade Sproles only if midway through the season you're clearly not in playoff contention. Why not get something for him and give him a chance to play for something greater before he retires?

If we're eliminated from playoff contention and someone wants him, I'm onboard with that. But for as bad as we were last year we weren't mathematically eliminated till toward the end of the year, if we expect to improve even a little I think we'll be in the thick of a NFCE race.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

killdawabbit wrote:
Jlash wrote:
killdawabbit wrote:
Jeezla wrote:

I know. Blasphemy.

So? It's just not something LSU asks a ton of with their RB's.

So the Eagles tend to like more versatile backs. Guice has not demonstrated that whether it be due to scheme or skill set. I would still be surprised if they took a RB in round 1.

Versatile like Blount? Like Smallwood? We don't know what the hell we like or what we're doing. The Doug Pederson era is about throwing stuff at walls and seeing what sticks. I'm guessing Guice could catch the ball if it hits him in the hands, more often than not. We don't need the next McCaffrey when it comes to catching. We just need someone who isn't going to drop the damn thing half the time.

2018 Draft: Saquon Barkley + Court Sutton #20 #92 Fire Doof Pederson.
Fly Eagles Fly
MemphisEagles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lo wrote:

I would have traded Sproles for the right price before the draft this year. But trading him now doesn't make any sense unless we got a king's ransom.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danger wrote:
D-Lo wrote:

Yes, I understand what they are saying. Why not trade sproles mid season or even before the season? Well, as I said, its terrible business. You dont trade a player in Sproles' situation unless he asks for it. Its not a good look for a team to ship a guy, who has been a model citizen and player for your team for peanuts, when hes planning on retiring. Hes not going to want to live away from his family. If he asks for a trade it would've been in the offseason not in the middle of the season. Its bad for team morale to trade a team leader, and it will reflect poorly on your team when it comes to free agency. Its not going to happen and it shouldnt.
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezla wrote:

Versatile like Blount? Like Smallwood? We don't know what the hell we like or what we're doing. The Doug Pederson era is about throwing stuff at walls and seeing what sticks. I'm guessing Guice could catch the ball if it hits him in the hands, more often than not. We don't need the next McCaffrey when it comes to catching. We just need someone who isn't going to drop the damn thing half the time.

What, you mean the 30 year old 1 year rental who happened to be the best back left in a poor FA market? The guy they got as a stopgap because the position isn't solved yet? Or do you mean the guy they drafted in the 5th round in no small part due to liking his receiving ability?

Guice may very well be a good receiver. But, like I said, he has yet to demonstrate it at the college level whether it be due to skill or scheme.

And we both know that, regardless of what tweaks he ends up using, Pederson is a WCO guy and that will be his base. Not to mention looking at the backs the Eagles have drafted in the Pederson era.

And I'd still be somewhat surprised to see the Eagles go RB in round 1.
killdawabbit

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-Lo wrote:
Danger wrote:
D-Lo wrote:

Yes, I understand what they are saying. Why not trade sproles mid season or even before the season? Well, as I said, its terrible business. You dont trade a player in Sproles' situation unless he asks for it. Its not a good look for a team to ship a guy, who has been a model citizen and player for your team for peanuts, when hes planning on retiring. Hes not going to want to live away from his family. If he asks for a trade it would've been in the offseason not in the middle of the season. Its bad for team morale to trade a team leader, and it will reflect poorly on your team when it comes to free agency. Its not going to happen and it shouldnt.

Not to mention that the odds of a team being willing to give up anything at all for 6-8 games max of a situational/scheme specific player are low to be generous.

It's frankly a silly idea all around.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Philadelphia Eagles All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: