You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kamalei Correa: Starting ILB In 2017?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the lone star

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Kamalei Correa: Starting ILB In 2017? Reply with quote

1.) Do you think he will win the starting ILB job next to Moseley?
2.) If so, do you think he'll put up numbers similar to what Orr had last year and what Daryl Smith put up in the past?

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Correa will be the starter unless a current or former undrafted free agent like Onwuasor is a huge surprise.

As for the numbers he will put up, who knows. It's really tough to get a feel for conversion projects like him. The Ravens actually started the process of him moving to ILB last summer in training camp so that helps but he's still a big unknown.

Kamalei had plus athleticism as a prospect coming out and should still be a good blitzer even from the inside so that's nice. Quite a bit different than guys like Orr and Smith too. Pees should have no excuses for not scheming a really good pass-rush this year because he has all the linebackers he could want with that ability and the defensive line is at least stout enough to keep the guys behind them clean.
the lone star

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched his college tape. Super Meh.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lone star wrote:
Just watched his college tape. Super Meh.

I don't think so, but to each their own. It's not uncommon for different people to see completely different things watching the same tape. As a pass-rusher I really liked what I saw from Correa as a prospect.

For what it's worth I really didn't like the idea of moving him to ILB when the Ravens drafted him. Even if it was just in a small role. Baltimore needed (needs) speed and burst off the edge and he brought that. Kamalei's responsibilities dropping into space at Boise State weren't all that complicated either and I thought that part of his value as a prospect was oversold.

Now I guess it was lucky foresight (because Orr would still be there if healthy and the Ravens didn't know about his neck) that he was immediately groomed for that spot but he's still a huge unknown.

I don't mind it though. Correa doesn't have to be a true three-down ILB. A specialized blitzer is fine with me. If it forces Pees to use the dime that can only be a good thing. With Jefferson brought in and the rest of the defensive backs added the Ravens really need to get more of that in the fold. His current two-ILB nickel sets with horrendous pressure (and coverage) scheming aren't going to get it done.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't really love his college tape as an edge, either, but he's playing a different position now. The plan all along was for him to be an ILB. He was compared to Clay Matthews and I think he is a similar player to Clay, but without the elite explosiveness Clay had early in his career. Similar to how Clay is better suited to play ILB now, that spot makes sense for KC. He's better off in space with the D-line in front of him, than going head on against a tackle every snap.

Based on he last few years, whoever wins that spot will see a ton of snaps. Both starting ILB basically never come off the field (outside injury), and there has been no rotation at that spot. Whether it's a 4-2-5 (where we see most our snaps) or the base 3-4, the two inside linebackers are always there in the middle, seeking the RB or dropping back. Stupidly, they barely blitzed last year, but that was weird and should change. It was an important part of our defense in years past.

The biggest potential block to Correa getting that 95% defensive snap count this year, is IMO, Tyus Bowser. He could actually be seen as a more athletic Correa, with the same hybrid potential, and I have some of the same doubt about whether he should face off with an OT every snap. His pass coverage is really advanced, far more so than Correa's was, and that's going to be a priority given how much our WILL LB will drop back. Of course we need someone on the outside too, but opposite Suggs, if Judon, Tim Williams, and/or Za'Darius Smith step up, and Bowser looks too good to take off the field, I could see him sliding inside for those 4-2-5 sets.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm praying the lack of a "true" inside linebacker aside from Mosley forces Pees to change things up. Otherwise yeah, Correa will be getting a ton of snaps.

Bowser moving inside for the nickel sets makes sense too if he's better dropping back in coverage. Those skills are also needed at SAM with the way Dean uses that position though so I wouldn't project Tyus to slide inside for anything other than certain situations.

But just wait. McClellan will end up winning the starting spot next to Mosley just so Pees can have his scapegoat. Laughing

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: