Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How do you feel about the RB situation?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TransientTexan

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CactusPackFan wrote:
Anyone know if any of these backs is solid in pass protection? Right now, the only solid one in Pass Pro is Rip. Seems to me, if we decide to put in RIP on anything but 3rd and 1, it will be obvious we are passing. I truly hope that at least 2 of these guys we picked can handle pass protection. Anyone have film on any of them in pass pro?

Can't say I really I watch much college ball, but somebody posted a link to a Matt Waldman video showing some of his grades. Mind you, the grades are just comparing college players to each other and not saying whether they'd fair well compared to an NFL back. Also not sure if calling a kid "starter caliber" means he'll be that good in year 1, or that he has the potential to eventually be that good.

RB Blocking grades:
Star-Caliber: none
Starter-Caliber:2 players, including Jamaal Williams
Committee Caliber: 18 players, including Aaron Jones
Reserve Caliber: 17 players
Free Agent Caliber: 9 players

Mays wasn't listed in any of the grades. Probably not enough tape on him to tell much of anything.
palmy50

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Williams was easily one of the more complete RB's in the draft. Smart kid and VERY physical in pass pro just like the rest of his game. He'll be just fine!
Chili

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone think Lacy actually hated living in Green Bay. He had a honeymoon period for the first two years with excellent RB play but eventually due to a combination of factors grew to dislike living in Green Bay?

I'm a guy who suffer from motivational issues so i'm trying to see thing from his point of view. Laughing

First of all issue no.1, BOREDOM. Understandably there isn't a whole lot of things to do in Green Bay for a guy like Lacy. Over a long period of time this can have an effect.

Issue no.2, based on his instagram photos I get the impression that he struggled making friends which in turn contributed to his boredom issue and lack of enjoyment living in Green Bay. If he struggled making friends with his teammates it may well have contributed to his lack of motivation to be professional and stay in shape for the team.

Issue no.3, HARSH WINTERS affecting his asthma. I don't know how bad it was for him on a day to day basis but it did have some affect for him on the field. It probably wasn't fun for him and I can imagine him getting sick of Green Bay after the first couple of winters.

Issue no.4, MOTIVATION. When you're not having much enjoyment in what you do it's difficult to stay motivated. It also probably doesn't help hearing his coaches telling him "you're fat, lose some weight", not everyone responds well to that. In fact McCarthy called him out publically if I recall correctly. I think what he needed was encouragement rather than someone telling him off like a little naughty schoolboy.

In my experience when you stop enjoying things you start to lack motivation to continue doing it. Out of boredom Lacy started eating more and exercising less. The fact he wasn't enjoying living in Green Bay gave him little incentive to keep in shape and stay motivated. It was a vicious circle that he struggled to get out of.

His garage sale gave us a big peek to his mindset. He sold off every Packers gear he owned. Clear to say he didn't look back his time at Green Bay which much fondness. To me it was a big indicator that the Packers had little chance of re-signing him anyway. He wanted out and had no intention of coming back.

A change of scenery is what he needed. I think he landed in exactly the right situation for him in Seattle. The city life should be more his speed. He has a head coach who's coaching style is very "encouragement/fun based" which should mesh better with Lacy's personality. He's on a run-heavy based scheme where the starting RB gig is up for grabs. All that in theory should give him lots of motivation. He has a real chance of turning his career around if he still badly wants it.

The fact he is at 253lbs right now is disgusting, was most likely north of 260lbs at one point. A professional footballer like him should've never allowed himself to get that heavy in the first place. His weight incentives is geared toward reaching 245lbs and maintaining that throughout the season. They're easy weight goals for Lacy. If Seattle were to be real tough on him they would've made him reach 230lbs, the weight he was at the combine, the weight he was most effective at for Alabama and for the Packers but for a guy with motivational issues that is probably isn't the right approach, a gentler/gradual approach is probably best.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are better off without Lacy. I actually don't expect that he will ever really take his conditioning seriously. He's lazy and doesn't want to put the work in. He's got genetics working against him as well, as he comes from a family of bigger folks. He needs to be living in the gym and staying away from the china food. I bet his weight becomes a big issue in Seattle as well.
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lacy is a truly special talent. Big RB's with feet like that are RARE. That said, talent isn't everything. My main issue with Lacy now is the same as it's always been. Does he love football....?
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Williams was easily one of the more complete RB's in the draft. Smart kid and VERY physical in pass pro just like the rest of his game. He'll be just fine!
I'm at work so I can't link it, but can you please watch the vid on packers.com of Williams in the locker room. I loved the guy and really wanted us to draft him, but man, he seems like such a genuinely happy guy. I want him to succeed to bad. I can't remember being this happy about a rookie before.... the again TT hasn't drafted someone I wanted so badly before either Laughing

"and you reporters, always SMILLINNN" Laughing Laughing

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBURGE25 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
I'm at work so I can't link it, but can you please watch the vid on packers.com of Williams in the locker room. I loved the guy and really wanted us to draft him, but man, he seems like such a genuinely happy guy. I want him to succeed to bad. I can't remember being this happy about a rookie before.... the again TT hasn't drafted someone I wanted so badly before either Laughing

"and you reporters, always SMILLINNN" Laughing Laughing

Yeah, would have gone pretty damn high even in a strong RB class if the top gear was a hair better. Still plenty to love with Williams though. Smart, driven young man right there!
NormSizedMidget

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get more excited about this guy every day.
Chili

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palmy talks about big backs with feet being rare.

Last year Howard was someone who I thought was 2nd round talent that ended up going in the 5th round. His best trait was his feet. The way he runs his feet was never far off the ground. RB like that tend to change direction quicker than guys with a long striding running style. That trait is especially useful on big RBs as it enables them to not only be big and physical but also be more elusive. Lacy has it, Howard has it and I saw the same thing in Perine.

In consecutive years we passed on both of them as a potential Lacy replacement. I wonder if giving Starks a new contract caused the Packers to pass on Howard and look for players in other positions? Howard was definitely TT/McCarthy type RB. If they are so rare then passing on Perine was a surprise.

I admit I wasn't happy when we drafted Beigel but I understood why we drafted him because the pool of pass rushers to choose from was rapidly shrinking whilst there were still several RB options left should Perine came off the board such as Williams, Mack, McNichols, Jones, McGuire, Mays etc..

We ended up making up for it by drafting three of them! I can't really complain. We tried to address both positions as best we could.
AlexGreen#20

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:

Last year Howard was someone who I thought was 2nd round talent that ended up going in the 5th round. His best trait was his feet. The way he runs his feet was never far off the ground. RB like that tend to change direction quicker than guys with a long striding running style. That trait is especially useful on big RBs as it enables them to not only be big and physical but also be more elusive. Lacy has it, Howard has it and I saw the same thing in Perine.

In consecutive years we passed on both of them as a potential Lacy replacement. I wonder if giving Starks a new contract caused the Packers to pass on Howard and look for players in other positions? Howard was definitely TT/McCarthy type RB. If they are so rare then passing on Perine was a surprise.

I admit I wasn't happy when we drafted Beigel but I understood why we drafted him because the pool of pass rushers to choose from was rapidly shrinking whilst there were still several RB options left should Perine came off the board such as Williams, Mack, McNichols, Jones, McGuire, Mays etc..

We ended up making up for it by drafting three of them! I can't really complain. We tried to address both positions as best we could.

The issue with Howard is that he was frequently injured, and didn't show anything in the way of third down value. As a pure runner he was very very good.
palmy50

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chili wrote:

I see big backs with good feet kinda like I see left tackles. There are a couple good ones of both just about every year. But unlike college left tackles that lack the feet, ya can't move power backs to guard.

I wouldn't fight ya too hard on Howard. He was one of mine and I loved him in terms of board value though he did have his share of flaws both on and off the field. I'll take a wait and see approach with Perine. Perine just wasn't for me.
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB ratings from Football Outsiders
They rate vs replacement value for DYAR and vs NFL average with DVOA

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

The simple version:
DYAR means a running back with more total value.
DVOA means a running back with more value per play.

Monty DYAR = 85, on par with Tevin Coleman in ATL
Monty DVOA = 17.4 %, tied with LeVeon Bell in Pitt

He just didn't have enough carries to qualify for FO stats; scroll down to see his numbers
Packerraymond

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
RB ratings from Football Outsiders
They rate vs replacement value for DYAR and vs NFL average with DVOA

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/rb

The simple version:
DYAR means a running back with more total value.
DVOA means a running back with more value per play.

Monty DYAR = 85, on par with Tevin Coleman in ATL
Monty DVOA = 17.4 %, tied with LeVeon Bell in Pitt

He just didn't have enough carries to qualify for FO stats; scroll down to see his numbers

Never was big into these types of numbers, but now I see the Patriots surely are.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: