Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

7th Round (238): Devante Mays [RB; Utah State]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the strangest pick to me. I guess the only way I can make sense of it was "he's a guy they had a PFA grade on who would be unlikely to sign with a team that just spent draft picks on two other guys who play his position"?

He's a true "big back" unlike Williams and Jones, so I guess if they wanted one of those.
Jsitton71#

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PossibleCabbage wrote:
This is the strangest pick to me. I guess the only way I can make sense of it was "he's a guy they had a PFA grade on who would be unlikely to sign with a team that just spent draft picks on two other guys who play his position"?

He's a true "big back" unlike Williams and Jones, so I guess if they wanted one of those.
Needed another bruiser type back with some break away ability. Rip is strictly a 3rd and 1 blocking FB.
MantyWrestler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good film. Good vision, fairly quick and if there nonopening he tries to just run through the man. Not that he's that good but reminds a little of Jamal Anderson.
DavidatMIZZOU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the highlights, he is faster than I would have thought a 220 pound back would be.

mistakebytehlak wrote:

My god it must be so terrible to have three teams that consistently make the playoffs

PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidatMIZZOU wrote:
In the highlights, he is faster than I would have thought a 220 pound back would be.

His 40 is better than his short shuttle (by .01 seconds, but still better). I'm not sure I've ever seen that before.
CactusPackFan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like him. Fits the one cut and down hill style we need in the ZBS. He's not going to dance, because he can't. Has stiff hips, not quite a fluid but how many 230 pound guys are? Has better speed than Lacy and runs with better pad level. Could turn out to be a great pick, butI do not see him being a 3 down back. We'll have RB by committee for the foreseeable future and I am OK with that.

Special Thanks To Jordyzzz for the awesome sig!
Shanedorf

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody has a story, this is Devante's

http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-special-feature/article-1/Believe-Big/56638098-a889-435b-94a6-2b6aad2e5023

“I said, ‘Do you want to play football?’ ‘Yeah, coach, I want to play football.’ I said, ‘Devante, do you really want to play?’ ‘Yes, coach.’
“OK, let me go make some phone calls.”

Taff proceeded to call every junior college in southeast Texas to try to get Mays another shot. No one was picking up or returning calls, not when reclamation projects in a football-mad state are a dime a dozen.
Taff finally reached a coach on the other line, Ronny Feldman from Blinn College in Brenham, Texas, only to get the expected reticence even though Feldman had actually heard of Mays.

“I said, ‘Coach, this guy’s a player,’ and he said, ‘Coach, I get 100 of these calls every day, people telling me this and that. You’re lucky I answered the phone,’” Taff said.

palmy50

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunch of teams pulled this kid on IQ. Not a huge issue for me personally at RB(instinctive position). Might take him a little longer than some to pick up pass pro though.
CWood21

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Bunch of teams pulled this kid on IQ. Not a huge issue for me personally at RB(instinctive position). Might take him a little longer than some to pick up pass pro though.

Honestly, I think he's going the odd man out of the RB competition mainly because he has an uphill battle. Add this on top of his injury concerns from this past season, and I think there's a good chance he ends up on the PS to start the year. In terms of 3rd down value, I feel that Aaron Jones has a heavy lean among the RB draftees and Jamaal Williams to me was the most natural of the 3 in terms of running the ball. He needs work in pass protection, and doesn't have a ton of experience catching the ball out of the backfield.

PackFan4Life wrote:
I have been pooping like a unicorn for two days and it is freaky.

bkobow05 wrote:
So this is what DCR feels like on Saturdays...
palmy50

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to fight ya on any of that. Truth be told, I feel pretty good about knowing what these rookies are/could be. The RB on this Packers roster I'm the least sure about in terms of what they should/could be is Monty.

That all said, just on a personal level I keep a big back like Mays over a little fella like Jones if they both "hit". Like you said though, Mays has an uphill battle here because of draft slots etc.
justo

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Palmy on the Mays>Jones thing if they both show up in camp.

Is Jones more than just the second third-down back behind Monty if he hits? I'm not sold on that. Just hard for me to imagine how you get him into the rotation practically unless:

1) Monty moves to WR post-Cobb
or
2) Monty gets hurt

Williams isn't someone who I think is a liability in the passing game, either. So he might not even come off the bench on third if Monty is gassed as the RB1? Idk man. This seems more like an insurance policy/stash player to see how the numbers at WR shake out next season than anything else to me. Jones being an insurance for the Monty replacing Cobb move, as weird as that sounds.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure is far more reason to believe we'll see the best of Jones though. Tough kid that comes from military stock and knows how to work/commit. If I could put his head on Mays body....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: