Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Ladarius Green released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ComebackKid

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing the problems Green has had they picked up no tight end in a deep tight end class. Ugh. He was good when he was on the field too.

🐝🐝🐝 TRIPLE BEES 🐝🐝🐝
Magnus-Viktor

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely would've picked a TE. As you all know I wanted Shaheen in 2. I also would've taken Kittle and Butt in the mid rounds. But with that said, James is a solid player and Grimble showed flashes last year.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus-Viktor wrote:
I definitely would've picked a TE. As you all know I wanted Shaheen in 2. I also would've taken Kittle and Butt in the mid rounds. But with that said, James is a solid player and Grimble showed flashes last year.

As I stated in the other thread, it is speculated that the Steelers were going to draft David Njoku at 30, but the Browns jumped in front of them. I do believe that Kevin Colbert addressed this by saying that the TE's didn't fall at key or the right points in the draft according to their board.

I liked Sheehan as well, but he was gone before our pick in round two.
Jake Butt scared me because of his injury. We were already dealing with Ladarius Green, so why draft someone else that probably wouldn't contribute this year anyway? Hindsight is always 20/20. Many people here did say draft a TE and I was one who said give Green a chance.

They have some free agents, who may be able to make the team and help the position. They still have the option of grabbing a veteran after someone is cut due to salary or because someone drafted one of these young guys we missed on.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We as fans and the FO should have known that Green was Dead Man Walking. Whether it was before training camp (as it was) or during TC or game 1 or game 10, we should have known this was coming.

How the FO can justify drafting a #3 QB over a talented 4th rd TE is beyond comprehension. They must have really loved Dobbs. (or talked themselves into loving his potential)

Next year's draft: Rd 1 QB, Rd 2 TE, Rd 3 Safety

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that only 4-5 of the TE's in the draft really gave us anything different or better than what we already had. Drafting another one would have just been a side step and more of the same. When it did not work out to get one of them at the right time they decided to ride with what they had and get guys higher on their board at other positions.
3rivers

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
HOw would you all rate Jesse James? Is he close to being an adequate starter?

James is a good TE, but what Green had was speed which changes everything. I don't think they should have cut him, but with his injury history I understand. He could be wasting a roster spot if the injuries keep being present.

Could be a lot of 4 and 5 WR sets this year
jcm412

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't the ravens have like a half dozen tight ends on their roster. That are pretty good. At least one or two are going to be cut.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLambert58 wrote:
We as fans and the FO should have known that Green was Dead Man Walking. Whether it was before training camp (as it was) or during TC or game 1 or game 10, we should have known this was coming.

How the FO can justify drafting a #3 QB over a talented 4th rd TE is beyond comprehension. They must have really loved Dobbs. (or talked themselves into loving his potential)

Next year's draft: Rd 1 QB, Rd 2 TE, Rd 3 Safety

After the draft I read that the Steelers liked TE Michael Roberts from Toledo. They met with him prior to the draft and had an in-depth interview with him. The Lions also talked to him. The Lions took Roberts eight picks ahead of Pittsburgh in the fourth who wound up taking Dobbs. I wonder IF he wasn't taken would the Steelers have selected him with that fourth pick? We'll never know.

Thanks to UniversalAuthor for the Sidney Crosby sig
Chieferific

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
Don't the ravens have like a half dozen tight ends on their roster. That are pretty good. At least one or two are going to be cut.

Perhaps Watson gets cut. I'd take him without blinking. He'd add some Veteran leadership, be a great tutor for JJ and I think he still has enough left to stretch the field. As for the others, Gilmore is an interesting young player but I think he's too valuable for them to cut. Boyle is as slow as molasses uphill. Williams doesn't add much more than JJ imo. Pita could be a money saving cut but I think he may a little pricey and has some injury concerns but a player to keep an eye on.
armsteeld

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are OK at TE but will have my eyes on cuts. C.J. Uzomah, Vance McDonald, and Darren Waller are guys I'm keeping an eye out for. That being said, I like JJ, Grimble, DJ, Odom, and Orndoff.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if we had released him before the draft, I wouldnt have wanted us to spend a high pick on one.

Not that I wouldnt love to have a TE that can stretch the middle of the field, but James is serviceable and I think he can get a bit better. He is limited but you can definitely do much worse.

If Bryant can stay on the field, the amount of targets any TE is going to get in this offense will be limited. Mighty big IF, I know....but I am happy with the weapons we have.

Its not TE that worries me...its CB.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one who was hammering for Njoku in the first round for this exact reason. Had 0% faith in Green, even thoughI loved him as a player/fit for our offense. As far as drafting one later, I think after Engram/Njoku were gone in the first, they didn't find the value or anyone talented enough to be a significant upgrade over Outlaw, to warrant drafting one in the later rounds. I do expect that they will bring in a more "proven" player aka Barnidge or another veteran released later in the offseason, to compete with James or take Grimble's spot as the backup (I don't consider DJ as the backup, just a situational run blocks with 0 ability in the receiving game).

I will say, I think JuJu will be able to replace a little bit of what lost in Heath in the receiving game when it comes to being a tough, reliable, over-the-middle, zone buster kinda "security blanket" for Ben on third downs and in he red zone. Also think this might give us more chances to come out with Bell, Brown, Martavis, JuJu, and Coates/Rodgers all at the same time...scary.

James is more than an adequate tight end for the amount of weapons we have on offense and I think his run blocking significantly improved last year (Think the Packers offense when they only had Richard Rogers). We will he fine, barring a serious injury to Outlaw.

Florida State Seminoles - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cleveland Cavaliers
MOSteelers56

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Haley doesn't do it often but I think it's time to start rolling out some 4 and 5 WR sets. Our personnel suits it.

Deadpulse on the sig
treat88

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, AFF, Im with you on Barnidge.

He should be on a jet to Pitt by now.

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself."
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What makes Barnidge notably better than James?

Not that I wouldnt take him, but he doesnt really have much to add to our offense that we dont already have.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: