Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Random Ravens Thoughts: Third Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edmund_jags

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiddKillah wrote:
Has anyone seen the article with Jamison Hensley campaigning to sign LeGarrette Blount?

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/35829/ravens-can-continue-old-school-offseason-by-luring-legarette-blount

Interesting.

What does he even offer?

Despite his size, he's not a great goal-line back. He's not fast. Not the best hands.

There's really nothing that he offers over the guys we have currently.
Jlash

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmund_jags wrote:
KiddKillah wrote:
Has anyone seen the article with Jamison Hensley campaigning to sign LeGarrette Blount?

http://www.espn.com/blog/baltimore-ravens/post/_/id/35829/ravens-can-continue-old-school-offseason-by-luring-legarette-blount

Interesting.

What does he even offer?

Despite his size, he's not a great goal-line back
. He's not fast. Not the best hands.

Did he score 18 long TD's last year?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
edmund_jags wrote:
KiddKillah wrote:

Interesting.

What does he even offer?

Scoring TDs =/= good goal line back. You can ask Patriots fans, he's billed as a short-yardage RB but he's honestly not that good at it. Give basically any RB in the NFL those opportunities with the Patriots and they score just as many.

Here's just the first link from google which shows he was among the league's worst in converting from 2 yards or less: https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/7705/the-most-and-least-efficient-short-yardage-running-backs-of-the-2015-nfl-season
coordinator0

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora 2m2 minutes ago

Ravens longtime director of college scouting Joe Hortiz will stay with Baltimore. Was being wooed by the Rams.

Good news. Probably.
RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:
Jason La Canfora‏Verified account @JasonLaCanfora 2m2 minutes ago

Ravens longtime director of college scouting Joe Hortiz will stay with Baltimore. Was being wooed by the Rams.

Good news. Probably.

Laughing

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
For years the argument has been, mostly, Peyton V Joe V Brady as the GOAT QB.

Flacco?
sp6488

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or do the Ravens seem to get something like bottom 5 coverage nationally?

We're a top-25 market, so it's not that.

We've won 10% of the past 20 SBs, so its not like we're unsuccessful.

It just is odd to me that it feels like teams like the Cards and Titans get more shine nationally.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Is it just me or do the Ravens seem to get something like bottom 5 coverage nationally?

It just is odd to me that it feels like teams like the Cards and Titans get more shine nationally.

Exciting offense and exciting young QB. Arizona has the former and Tennessee has the latter, possibly going on both. Baltimore would be talked about in a similar fashion if they had either. That's just what the media is selling, and it's what the public wants. Defense isn't drawing anywhere close to the majority of eyes. I and others around here like watching it of course, but we're the minority.
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Joe Flacco's part. The media wants to talk about QBs. He's not exciting, but he's good enough that we don't get all the endless what is TeamX going to do at Qb talk.

Also, there's no one who is a particularly good fantasy football guy on our team, outside the GOAT Tucker.
Jlash

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edmund_jags wrote:
Jlash wrote:
edmund_jags wrote:
KiddKillah wrote:

Interesting.

What does he even offer?

Scoring TDs =/= good goal line back. You can ask Patriots fans, he's billed as a short-yardage RB but he's honestly not that good at it. Give basically any RB in the NFL those opportunities with the Patriots and they score just as many.

Here's just the first link from google which shows he was among the league's worst in converting from 2 yards or less: https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/news/7705/the-most-and-least-efficient-short-yardage-running-backs-of-the-2015-nfl-season

Forgot to come back to this, but reading an article about Blount this morning reminded me. This states the opposite of your article here as far as how he performs in converting short yardage situations.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000809791/article/blount-wentz-has-potential-to-be-really-special

Quote:
Blount, on the other hand, moved the chains on 65 percent of his carries in short-yardage situations in 2016, while leading the league with 5.4 yards per carry on third- and fourth-and-short. Now, he becomes the latest piece to a team that he has high expectations for.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlash wrote:
edmund_jags wrote:
Jlash wrote:
edmund_jags wrote:
KiddKillah wrote:

Interesting.

What does he even offer?

Forgot to come back to this, but reading an article about Blount this morning reminded me. This states the opposite of your article here as far as how he performs in converting short yardage situations.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000809791/article/blount-wentz-has-potential-to-be-really-special

Quote:
Blount, on the other hand, moved the chains on 65 percent of his carries in short-yardage situations in 2016, while leading the league with 5.4 yards per carry on third- and fourth-and-short. Now, he becomes the latest piece to a team that he has high expectations for.

Blount only had 20 carries on 3rd/4th & short in 2016 for 106 yards. He got 43 of those in 1 run. So, excluding that one run, he was 19 carries for 63 yards, or 3.3 YPC. Don't be fooled by a fancy number that's heavily inflated by a single run.

His 65% conversion rate looks great out of context. In context? 13/20 isn't all that impressive. It's really about the going rate for the majority of the RBs in the league.

I'm not saying he's terrible at it, it's just that he gets this hype around him being a bruising goal-line/short-yardage back and he's really not any better than average at those tasks. Then when you combine that with not being a great receiver, not really that fast, etc... there's really not a whole lot that he offers. I mean, you really have to think that if he were as solid as most think, the Pats wouldn't have let him go when they didn't have to pay him much at all.
paraven

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the chargers are pretty stacked at wr, and with them adding Mike Williams in the draft of imagine they will look to trade Benjamin, Tyrell Williams, Inman or even Keenan Allen. Id think ravens would be looking at at least one of these guys
Danand

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paraven wrote:
So the chargers are pretty stacked at wr, and with them adding Mike Williams in the draft of imagine they will look to trade Benjamin, Tyrell Williams, Inman or even Keenan Allen. Id think ravens would be looking at at least one of these guys

To me, it seems like we want someone reliable and durable, and none of them seem to fit that description.

With all the unknown we have at the position, it still wouldn't surprise me if we waited till TC, when we actually figure out, if we have talent buried on the roster.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:

Tbf a top 25 market in a 32 team league doesn't make us one of the bigger market teams. It puts us about 20th in the league and we're sandwiched in between some of the biggest national markets - Washington, Philly, and NYC - which makes it easier to overlook Baltimore.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
sp6488 wrote:

Tbf a top 25 market in a 32 team league doesn't make us one of the bigger market teams. It puts us about 20th in the league and we're sandwiched in between some of the biggest national markets - Washington, Philly, and NYC - which makes it easier to overlook Baltimore.

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would want more national coverage. More media coverage means more bandwagon fans, which means more demand for tickets, which means higher ticket prices, which means higher expectations, which means higher probability of disappointment. I almost appreciate just the right amount of media coverage the team receives.

bananabucket wrote:
Matts4313 wrote:
For years the argument has been, mostly, Peyton V Joe V Brady as the GOAT QB.

Flacco?
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
sp6488 wrote:

Right, I just find it curious that it seems like we're in the hinterlands based on how little we get mentioned. Roughly 20th in the league is still far higher than what seems like bottom-5 is all.

And I wasn't asking for more coverage per se, just musing about something I found odd/interesting (hence placement in "Random Ravens Thoughts").

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 47 of 48

Jump to: