Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Oakland Raiders Defense v2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3066
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Calhoun up to 270lbs while still having his agility. Hopefully, he plays full-time at the 4-3 LDE and RDE instead of at the 4-3 SLB.


I think they are getting him ready to play both. To be interchangeable with Mack and Irvin if needed.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reddevil


Joined: 23 Feb 2010
Posts: 1085
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NightTrainLane wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Calhoun up to 270lbs while still having his agility. Hopefully, he plays full-time at the 4-3 LDE and RDE instead of at the 4-3 SLB.


I think they are getting him ready to play both. To be interchangeable with Mack and Irvin if needed.


I hope they play to his strengths. I thought he was a solid pick at the time. Loads of production. Time will tell if he took a step back due to the fact he was learning a new position or if he just isn't good enough to make the step up. Like that he's heavier though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rolni


Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 3418
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Calhoun up to 270lbs while still having his agility. Hopefully, he plays full-time at the 4-3 LDE and RDE instead of at the 4-3 SLB.

Here is a link: http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Shilique-Calhoun-Talks-Rookie-Year-Looks-Ahead-To-2017-Season/5385d642-71f9-4494-ad06-fc8924f442e6

I really like the fact, that he prepares a lot more dedicated this offseason according to himself. He takes it more seriously, which is big with young players.

I also like the fact that he gained some muscle, since he was overpowered last year. He is an EDGE defender, not a space LB, so he will have to go against the big boys. His game was never pure speed in college and never will be in the NFL, so he needs more strength IMO.

At 270 he could still be an athletic mathc up problem, especially with his nice get off and 3 cone numbers, but he will be able to keep his ground and really punch those OL's, TE's with a heavier hand.
_________________
WIN LOSE OR TIE...RAIDER FAN 'TIL I DIE!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 25663
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
“Early on it was difficult because everything was moving so fast, you had to retain the knowledge fast, you had to go out there and show you understand it as well,” said Calhoun. “But as the season went on it started to slow down, and I started to become more comfortable.”


Love this quote. It's honest. Fans don't have patience with players. They want instant impact. But the progression to the pro game is steep. Just a reminder to let players develop before writing them off.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darbsk


Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Posts: 1961
Location: Wales, UK
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolni wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Calhoun up to 270lbs while still having his agility. Hopefully, he plays full-time at the 4-3 LDE and RDE instead of at the 4-3 SLB.

Here is a link: http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Shilique-Calhoun-Talks-Rookie-Year-Looks-Ahead-To-2017-Season/5385d642-71f9-4494-ad06-fc8924f442e6

I really like the fact, that he prepares a lot more dedicated this offseason according to himself. He takes it more seriously, which is big with young players.

I also like the fact that he gained some muscle, since he was overpowered last year. He is an EDGE defender, not a space LB, so he will have to go against the big boys. His game was never pure speed in college and never will be in the NFL, so he needs more strength IMO.

At 270 he could still be an athletic mathc up problem, especially with his nice get off and 3 cone numbers, but he will be able to keep his ground and really punch those OL's, TE's with a heavier hand.


Sounds like an astute, intelligent young man. We'll have to see if the added body mass will make a big difference, it should to his strength at the Point of Attack but usually that is at the expense of some agility. He says he hasn't lost agility but if he's playing on the line then I feel it's a decent trade off of gaining power over a little agility for that position.
_________________
"The fire that burns brightest in the Raiders organization is the will to win."
Mr. Al Davis RIP
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17033
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Quick-Hits-Reggie-McKenzie-Chats-With-JT-The-Brick-On-957-The-Game/5c3a2114-50a2-4954-89cd-8b7af192667c?sf79944077=1

Quote:
McKenzie expressed his confidence in rookie linebacker Marquel Lee and what he expects to see from No. 55.

“We definitely think he has the potential to start, he’s a long ways away from that; we haven’t even begun to get the pads on. So, a lot will be determined between training camp and preseason, but so far he’s looked very well. At the time, we just, as far as a linebacker at that point, he was the best guy on the board, and we jumped all over that.”

_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rolni


Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 3418
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbsk wrote:
Rolni wrote:
RoyalMajesty51o wrote:
Calhoun up to 270lbs while still having his agility. Hopefully, he plays full-time at the 4-3 LDE and RDE instead of at the 4-3 SLB.

Here is a link: http://www.raiders.com/news/article-1/Shilique-Calhoun-Talks-Rookie-Year-Looks-Ahead-To-2017-Season/5385d642-71f9-4494-ad06-fc8924f442e6

I really like the fact, that he prepares a lot more dedicated this offseason according to himself. He takes it more seriously, which is big with young players.

I also like the fact that he gained some muscle, since he was overpowered last year. He is an EDGE defender, not a space LB, so he will have to go against the big boys. His game was never pure speed in college and never will be in the NFL, so he needs more strength IMO.

At 270 he could still be an athletic mathc up problem, especially with his nice get off and 3 cone numbers, but he will be able to keep his ground and really punch those OL's, TE's with a heavier hand.


Sounds like an astute, intelligent young man. We'll have to see if the added body mass will make a big difference, it should to his strength at the Point of Attack but usually that is at the expense of some agility. He says he hasn't lost agility but if he's playing on the line then I feel it's a decent trade off of gaining power over a little agility for that position.

He was among the best in 3 cone (6,97) and 20 yard shuttle (4,25), so even if he looses a bit of agility, he could still be agile enough IMO.

TOP 8 3 cone for the 2016 and 2017 combine
http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2016-2017&workout=THREE_CONE_DRILL&position=DL

TOP 6 shuttle
http://www.nfl.com/combine/top-performers#year=2016-2017&workout=TWENTY_YARD_SHUTTLE&position=DL
_________________
WIN LOSE OR TIE...RAIDER FAN 'TIL I DIE!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rolni


Joined: 08 Jun 2008
Posts: 3418
Location: Europe
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I'm in a minorty here, when I say I'm alright with our depth at EDGE rusher behind Mack and Irvin with Calhoun and Cowser.

Mack is a rock solid 265 pound freak of nature, who plays some RDE, more LDE and some rushing OLB.
While Calhoun is definately not on Mack's level athletically, but had a similar 20 yard shuttle and a better 3 cone, same bench press with worse 40 yard and jumps. He looks like a pretty solid back up, rotational piece behind Mack IMO.

While Bruce Irvin is again a freak and had far better numbers then Cowser, still Cowser can come in a solid "refreshment guy" behind him.

Both Calhoun and Cowser were pretty productive college players, both of them seems to be pretty focused and both of them has solid football IQ.

Mack and Irvin will play the majority of the EDGE rusher snaps, but I feel that we can expect solid situational help from the 2 youngsters.

If Calhoun can make a big enough leap we might be able to run a NASCAR package without Aldon Smith.

Calhoun-Mack-Edwards-Irvin could be a solid pass rushing DL if Edwards can get back to form and Calhoun gets better and more aggressive.
_________________
WIN LOSE OR TIE...RAIDER FAN 'TIL I DIE!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OakRaiders3828


Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 12482
Location: Lehigh Valley
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
Quote:
“Early on it was difficult because everything was moving so fast, you had to retain the knowledge fast, you had to go out there and show you understand it as well,” said Calhoun. “But as the season went on it started to slow down, and I started to become more comfortable.”


Love this quote. It's honest. Fans don't have patience with players. They want instant impact. But the progression to the pro game is steep. Just a reminder to let players develop before writing them off.


+1,000
_________________
R A I D E R S | 7 6 E R S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3066
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
oakdb36


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 17033
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DB3lpZOUAAA0JRd.jpg:large

The edges were definitely not the issue.
_________________
Plush wrote:
Papa was a trolling stone
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrOaktown_56


Joined: 15 Dec 2013
Posts: 7990
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested to see if we use Obi as a moneybacker/3rd safety.

If we run 3 safety looks, one of our safeties has to play nickel, which might be tough. If we run a dime look with 3 corners and 3 safeties, that's tough on the run game.

I mean Obi's light for a LB, but would be a more athletic deion jones/KJ wright hybrid in terms of athleticism. Not saying we should do it, but it would be interesting to put him at Will and watch him chase/cover. I don't know if he can blitz though.

If he can contribute on 3rd down this year, that's all I care about honestly. Nelson can still play, he just isn't a borderline superstar like he used to be. KJo is a dog and will really surprise people this year. He did really well for not being able to get all the reps and being hurt.
_________________
El ramster wrote:
bertuzzi wrote:
Goff and Gurley are the worst QB-RB combo in history lmfao


Yo buddy quit trolling yeah.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NightTrainLane


Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Posts: 3066
Location: On the wall defending Reggie from all blasphemous heretics!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
I'm interested to see if we use Obi as a moneybacker/3rd safety.

If we run 3 safety looks, one of our safeties has to play nickel, which might be tough. If we run a dime look with 3 corners and 3 safeties, that's tough on the run game.

I mean Obi's light for a LB, but would be a more athletic deion jones/KJ wright hybrid in terms of athleticism. Not saying we should do it, but it would be interesting to put him at Will and watch him chase/cover. I don't know if he can blitz though.

If he can contribute on 3rd down this year, that's all I care about honestly. Nelson can still play, he just isn't a borderline superstar like he used to be. KJo is a dog and will really surprise people this year. He did really well for not being able to get all the reps and being hurt.


Yeah, I think we will see alot of different sets on the field. JDR and Reggie talked about being versatile on defense in the beginning of the offseason. I'll be less caught up in what position a guy is playing and more interested in how we work as a team. With the athletes we have now on that side of the ball we should be able to matchup with any team beside some crazy sets the Pats can throw out there at times haha. Just not fair they got Cook...

Just a side note...That last train of though had me looking at the Pats depth chart and there are only 53 spots. They are gonna have to make so hard decisions on offense at cutdown time.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver&Black88


Moderator
Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 41572
Location: Los Angeles, CA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrOaktown_56 wrote:
I'm interested to see if we use Obi as a moneybacker/3rd safety.

If we run 3 safety looks, one of our safeties has to play nickel, which might be tough. If we run a dime look with 3 corners and 3 safeties, that's tough on the run game.

I mean Obi's light for a LB, but would be a more athletic deion jones/KJ wright hybrid in terms of athleticism. Not saying we should do it, but it would be interesting to put him at Will and watch him chase/cover. I don't know if he can blitz though.

If he can contribute on 3rd down this year, that's all I care about honestly. Nelson can still play, he just isn't a borderline superstar like he used to be. KJo is a dog and will really surprise people this year. He did really well for not being able to get all the reps and being hurt.


I don't wanna overburden him, but I've read he's really smart iirc. Also

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/raiders/raiders-already-starting-take-advantage-obi-melifonwus-versatility/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MrOaktown_56


Joined: 15 Dec 2013
Posts: 7990
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
MrOaktown_56 wrote:
I'm interested to see if we use Obi as a moneybacker/3rd safety.

If we run 3 safety looks, one of our safeties has to play nickel, which might be tough. If we run a dime look with 3 corners and 3 safeties, that's tough on the run game.

I mean Obi's light for a LB, but would be a more athletic deion jones/KJ wright hybrid in terms of athleticism. Not saying we should do it, but it would be interesting to put him at Will and watch him chase/cover. I don't know if he can blitz though.

If he can contribute on 3rd down this year, that's all I care about honestly. Nelson can still play, he just isn't a borderline superstar like he used to be. KJo is a dog and will really surprise people this year. He did really well for not being able to get all the reps and being hurt.


I don't wanna overburden him, but I've read he's really smart iirc. Also

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl/raiders/raiders-already-starting-take-advantage-obi-melifonwus-versatility/


Yeah I'm with Rich when he was over the moon with Obi. I was screaming it at my TV.
_________________
El ramster wrote:
bertuzzi wrote:
Goff and Gurley are the worst QB-RB combo in history lmfao


Yo buddy quit trolling yeah.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group