You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My Mitch Trubisky Plan

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: My Mitch Trubisky Plan Reply with quote

The Mitch Trubisky Plan

Whether you agree with the pick or not, Mitch Trubisky is the future of the Chicago Bears and it is of paramount importance that the Bears do a better job of supporting and developing than they did with Cutler.

Analyst do not question what Trubisky can do on the field physically. He has a good arm, quick release, and is a superior athlete for the position. The questions come from his development arch. How are the Bears going to prepare a QB who made 13 college starts? That is essentially the billion dollar question for a franchise with a QB resume that is piety much pathetic.

There has to be a plan. The Bears need to stay committed to the plan. The plan must address the supporting talent around him.

Training Camp and Preseason

I am giving Trubisky every opportunity to win the job and to work with the 1s. I am giving him equal reps to open camp and then depending on performance I will start scaling it towards the starting QB. This team has lacked legit compeition at the QB position since Grossman and Orton were battling it out.

This sucks for the #1 OL. They are going to get more reps than they would normally with a traditional backup QB. I am not putting Trubisky out there with a sub standard line at any point during the preseason. Building confidence is key whenever he is on the field and the #1 group is needed to do that.

Glennon Line

Leno
Sitton
Whitehair
Long
Massie

Trbuisky Line

Leno
Kush, Sitton is older and fat and needs a break.
Whitehair/Grasu
Long/Whitehair, Long may need to be eased into it as he had a rough offseason
Massie

It is also important that Trubisky get time with the #1 WRs, luckily the Bears have a very nebulous 4 WR group that can be worked in and out with the different QBs. I am rooming Trubisky with Shaheen and they are going to be attached at the hip. When they need a 3rd friend Daniel Brown can come along. It will be difficult to get a ton of snaps with Sims and Miller as I expect they will work with Glennon, but those other 2 will become his best friends.

I am not running Trubisky with only the backup WRs, that is a recipe for disaster when he gets into a game and doesn't know what Meredith and White are doing or where they like passes.

Playing Time

I am not artificially suppressing Trubisky's playing time. If he wins the job than he wins the job and the Bears work with him and develop him on the fly. It is a really bad message to send to the team that the best player isn't playing. That being said Trubisky is going to have to make is so painfully obvious that he is ready for me to make the move.

To me Trubisky needs to be active on game days even if he is not starting. There are reps that a backup gets during the season that at a minimum will get his feet wet, with little pressure. By having him as the primary backup it is also easier to give him some reps with the 1s during the practice week.

There is value to going through the game prep and the game day routine for a young player. Standing around half checked in while wearing a sweat suit doesn't have the same value as being the next guy up and the added focus.

Practice Reps

I am giving Glennon 90% of the in week reps as the starter. If you give him less that is impacting your ability to compete in that game and I doubt the other guys are interested in that.

That leaves Trubisky 10% of the game reps in practice and he is running 100% of the scout team reps. I know it is not the Bears offense, but he can practice taking snaps, his footwork and his mechanics. People look at scout teams reps as a waste, but there is a ton of development opportunity for raw players that need technique work.

Sanchez can warm up and throw to the WRs in individual.

System

I actually really like how Trubisky meshes on paper with the West Coast offense that Loggains runs. There are a number of areas where I think this is a good match and where Trubisky should be able to thrive.

Trubisky Strengths

Accuracy
Timing
Ability to climb the pocket

Trubisky Weaknesses

Inconsistent deep ball
Inexperience reading defenses

The entire focus should be on showcasing Trubisky's strengths early. The system can evolve and grow as he grows and can do more and take on more concepts.

Run Pass Options: As was mentioned by the veiled hit piece that was written by Darren Klassen the Bears and UNC run a lot of run pass options out the shotgun, which needs to stay. Giving the QB the option to hand the ball gives him and out if he does not get a good pre snap read on the defense or if he is unsure about what he wants to do. On the backside you have a 2 route concept, but you often do not have any LBs running underneath the routes because of the run threat. This leaves traditionally 2 1 on 1s on the backside and a simple concept and read. For example if the CB sits on the route you go behind him to the releasing TE. If the CB gives depth and the TE disappears you go to the WR cutting in.

WR Screens and RB releases: These seem like cop out plays a lot of the time and that is mostly because they are not executed properly. Often you are throwing it to a WR that cannot generate after the catch or with a QB who cannot deliver it accruatly on time and kills any chance of YAC yards [ex Bortles, Blake]. These are fantastic routes for stealing yards, if you have a QB that can deliver the ball in a position to maximize YAC yards. In the early days of Brandon Marshall in Chicago these were like stealing 5-6 yards on 1st down. They also force CBs to play up closer to the line, which stretches the defense vertically and opens windows in the 10-15 range. With Kevin White and Cam Meredith the Bears have a couple of big targets that can create after the catch. I actually think that this is White's best role as he has not really shown that he is a traditional downfield threat. Let White run bubble screens and slants and get the ball into his hands early and easily. With the athletic ability the Bears have in Whitehair and Long I also love their ability to get out in front and create extra yardage. Whitehair in particular is awesome down field. Designed throws to the RB are often seen as check downs, but the Bears should be able to generate mismatches with Langford and Cohen in man coverage, Howard not being a receiving threat is a little bit of a problem.

Vertical routes off of play action or designed 1 on 1s: The Bears did a ton of this with Matt Barkley later in the season, as Hoyer was to afraid to throw the ball over 7 yards. They would either go down field off of hard play action, often to Marques Wilson, or they would manufacture 1 on 1s down field. Rarely did the Bears take a show deep out of gun into a flooded defensive backfield. This was largely because of Barkley's mediocre arm strength, but I would continue this. This will allow Trubisky to work on his deep ball and threaten down field without putting the ball up for grabs. This also allows the Bears 6'3" WRs to help him out if the ball is not perfectly thrown. Play action also makes pass protection easier and allows him to build confidence stepping up into the pocket, which is huge in developing your deep ball accuracy and efficiency.

Run the heck out of the ball: This and the above go hand in hand. If I am the Bears I am running a true 50/50 system until I am comfortable with either Glennon or Trubisky being given more rope. Teams talk about committing to the run, the Bears talked about it at length last season, and still proceeded to throw the ball a ton with 3 different QBs playing. Matt Barkley threw an average of 40 passes a game, despite being terrible and chucking a ton of interceptions. The Bears need to run the ball consistently throughout the game, not only is it there best weapon right now, but it ensures that your QB does not go full meltdown. This is clearly a challenge for Loggains and one that Fox needs to monitor in games, because he is clearly not watching the clock or replays.

Moving pocket and roll outs: people always talk about doing this with mobile QBs and it is often a cop out for guys who struggle with accuracy from within the pocket. I would use some of these to simply allow some easy completions and help out the OL. Rolling out and moving the pocket can be a big assist to OTs when used as a change up. It allows them to not be on the island as much and gets into DEs heads when the QB runs by them and breaks contain a couple of times. I would not make this a staple of the offense. It often gets your QB hit after a while as the temptation is there to run when they see the green grass [ex Griffin, Robert], it also is not a sustainable passing game.

Vertical in the seems: New England does this a ton. They run option routes and shorter West Coast concepts with the WRs in a hope to maximize yards after the catch and they attack vertically in the seams with huge TEs. These are easier vertical throws for a QB to make for a couple of reasons. 1, you often get matched up on LBs who are to slow and can be influenced by play action or you end up on safeties that are too small. 2, there is often no one to help out the safety once the TE has cleared the LB level, unlike on the outside where a FS can help to both sides if he has range. 3, the routes are often quicker developing and do not stress the OL to hold up or the QB to hold the ball for a long time. 4, they open up the shorter underneath stuff for the WRs because the safeties are either forced to carry the TE deep or the LBs have to turn their backs and run which does not allow them to run under the WRs routes. This meshes well with the mismatch threats the Bears have at TE. Sheheen [6'6"], Miller [6'5"], Brown [6'5"] all have the speed to push vertically in the middle of the field.

More hurry up and no huddle: When the Bears went no huddle or added some tempo last season they had success. People think that it stresses a young QB, but the truth is it is way harder on a defense considering that Trubisky has rarely huddled in college. Install a fairly simple hurry up package of 3-4 different concepts and run it at random times in the game. Trubisky lacks experience and needs work reading complex NFL defenses, so do not let them run complex defenses. When offenses go hurry up the defense is stuck in 1 personnel package and they are often running simple zone coverage so they can get lined up properly. Talk about removing some of the guess work and reading that has to happen for a young QB and establishing some rhythm on offense.

Personnel

OT- my eyes will be glued to the OT position this season. The Bears clearly tried to upgrade the spot this offseason with Ricky Wagner, who would have been an exceptional signing. Leno is a free agent and is probably an average starter, Massie is so inconsistent that it makes it very hard for a QB to know what is coming. The Bears will probably need to upgrade at 1 OT spot, if not 2. I think the addition of Dion Sims will help a lot as a good blocking TE can make pass protection much easier.

OG-the pick of Jordan Morgan makes more sense when you look at the age, size and health of Josh Sitton. The Bears need to start the process of developing his replacement for 2018 or 2019. Whether that is Morgan or Kush these guys needs to get some work so that the Bears have quality options if the injuries set in again.

WR-this is another group where the Bears will have to see some development. This group has some interesting pieces, but hardly any proven players. My main hesitation with playing Trubisky is this group and why perhaps waiting till later in the season to play him makes more sense. By the bye week the Bears should know whether Kevin White has stayed healthy and taken a step, whether Cam Meredith continues his momentum from last season, or whether Wright and Wheaton had added anything to the group. At least the Bears OTs are somewhat proven even if they are proven to be average. If this group looks weak or suffers injuries I think the Bears need to seriously think about sitting Trubisky and reloading for next season and upgrading this group.

TE-I actually really like this group and this might be the deepest position on the team. The key will be to develop Shaheen and Brown, while mostly playing Sims and Miller so Glennon has some consistent and experienced players on the field. Shaheen is going to be the future of the F position and needs to be on the field enough to develop. He will need to be a consistent target for Trubisky in 2018 and beyond when Miller's contract expires and the only way to make up for the jump from D2 to the NFL is to get him on the field. If I am Loggains I am running a ton of double TE sets and using Shaheen and Miller as the slot WR when I want to go 3 WR sets.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Trubisky can beat Glennon, let him play. He needs a ton of reps to improve, and I am fine with having him run partial starter reps and all the scout team reps if he is backing up Glennon this year.

In college we occasionally did up tempo scrimmages.

1 offense (and subs) vs 2 defense (with subs) in hurry up drill.
- Play clock was 20 seconds. This goes all the way from 20 to TD or stop on 4th down. Subs really only came in on incomplete passes (and was only skill position players), as the play clock didn't stop. Starters rotated in the next play so everyone was flying around.

After that stop or TD the inverse happened down the field in the other direction.

2 offense vs 1 defense.
- Same drill, but since we had a far more talented depth pool on defense than offense the number 2 offense had 2 "5th downs" and they could utilize on each drive.

This might be a tool that could be used (but I'm sure won't) to allow both QBs more reps and also allows us to also get reps in weak areas like WR and DBs.

I was advocating for Miller to work in the slot, and I would be fine with Shaheen doing this as well even in a full spread formation. The reason being that this puts White and Meredith on the outside at 6'3" each, then Miller at 6'5" 250lbs and Adam Shaheen at 6'6" 280lbs. To me that is set full of physical mismatches in the run and pass. If they put try to put LBs on the TEs in the slot, you should have them abusing them in coverage. If in nickel and they get matched up with a safety and NB, then they should be able to destroy them and open holes for days for Howard.

I do hope Howard got a lot of work in with Le'Veon Bell this year on receiving and pass blocking in particular. His running is great, finishes runs and has vision, but he is completely one dimensional right now.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
51to54

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pace followed the 2018 or bust draft approach that I was mocking. QB with less than 2 seasons of starts. Dev high potential TE. DB coming off injury draft, etc. We have our 1st and 2nd picks for 2018 which are the two rounds most likely to find starters in 2018.

Therefore, there is no reason to rush Trubisky into action in 2017 to 'save' the season. If there is any saving it's throwing him in on week 11 after Glennon struggles to a 3-7 start to save hot dog and beer vendor sales to fans wanting to see the new guy.

Having said that, give Trubisky and Glennon legit chances to WIN the starting QB job for 2017. What a great reason to blow up the develop Trubisky in 2017 plan if he outplays Glennon. Sanchez can butt fumble with the scout team until injuries push him up the depth chart.

Good summary of plan to dev Trubisky and protect either Glennon or Trubisky. Treat Trubisky like a STARTER and not some 6th round scrub until we learn the Glennon is the real deal and Turd Bisket isn't. Side note, if White has been injured for most of the last two seasons and "White's best role as he has not really shown that he is a traditional downfield threat" why are folks still defending Pace drafting a gadget receiver with the 7th overall pick. Now if other WR that I call 'gadget' are all pros that terrorize the league then I have mis-read the impact of a bubble screen and slant WR and I defer to an obviously more knowledgeable Bear's fan in Windy.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
Pace followed the 2018 or bust draft approach that I was mocking. QB with less than 2 seasons of starts. Dev high potential TE. DB coming off injury draft, etc. We have our 1st and 2nd picks for 2018 which are the two rounds most likely to find starters in 2018.

Therefore, there is no reason to rush Trubisky into action in 2017 to 'save' the season. If there is any saving it's throwing him in on week 11 after Glennon struggles to a 3-7 start to save hot dog and beer vendor sales to fans wanting to see the new guy.

Having said that, give Trubisky and Glennon legit chances to WIN the starting QB job for 2017. What a great reason to blow up the develop Trubisky in 2017 plan if he outplays Glennon. Sanchez can butt fumble with the scout team until injuries push him up the depth chart.

Good summary of plan to dev Trubisky and protect either Glennon or Trubisky. Treat Trubisky like a STARTER and not some 6th round scrub until we learn the Glennon is the real deal and Turd Bisket isn't. Side note, if White has been injured for most of the last two seasons and "White's best role as he has not really shown that he is a traditional downfield threat" why are folks still defending Pace drafting a gadget receiver with the 7th overall pick. Now if other WR that I call 'gadget' are all pros that terrorize the league then I have mis-read the impact of a bubble screen and slant WR and I defer to an obviously more knowledgeable Bear's fan in Windy.
Demaryus Thomas (for example) lived off the bubble screen and slant for a few years while he became more familiar with the route tree.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
51to54

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
51to54 wrote:

Demaryus Thomas (for example) lived off the bubble screen and slant for a few years while he became more familiar with the route tree.

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Kind of makes both sides of the issue as he was drafted 22nd overall and not 7th, but valid point.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

51to54 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
51to54 wrote:

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Kind of makes both sides of the issue as he was drafted 22nd overall and not 7th, but valid point.
its not uncommon, especially with so few college offenses running pro style systems for a wr to come in and have to learn the route tree and nuances of route running. Whites growth has been severely stunted by the injuries. If he can stay healthy for 16 i would expect that we will probably see tremendous strides in that area

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
51to54

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
51to54 wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
51to54 wrote:

its not uncommon, especially with so few college offenses running pro style systems for a wr to come in and have to learn the route tree and nuances of route running. Whites growth has been severely stunted by the injuries. If he can stay healthy for 16 i would expect that we will probably see tremendous strides in that area

True. As much as I hated picking a WR with the 7th I won't begin to label him a bust with so little file on him.
Badger75

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pick and what is known of the plan. It is a QB driven league and making a bold move is going to upset some. Start Glennon and stick with him. Aaron Rogers first year as a starter was quite rocky. Favre easily out played him. Give Trubisky a year to figure things out. Idea
51to54

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
I like the pick and what is known of the plan. It is a QB driven league and making a bold move is going to upset some. Start Glennon and stick with him. Aaron Rogers first year as a starter was quite rocky. Favre easily out played him. Give Trubisky a year to figure things out. :idea:

Glennon plays horribly.
Trubisky comes in as the savior with a huge honeymoon period and we get a much better draft position for 2018.

Glennon plays poorly.
Trubisky only comes in if he's ready and as the savior and we get a better draft position for 2018.

Glennon plays okay.
Trubisky can take the whole season to develop and if he does come in it means he's NFL ready and we have decent trade bait for Glennon.

Glennon plays well.
Trubisky takes the whole season to develop and competes for the starting job in 2018. If Trubisky wins the starting role in 2018 we have a great trade asset in Glennon to add to our 2018 picks. Either way, we've got our QB for the next 10 years or so.

Glennon plays great.
See above on steroids.
G08

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sitting here listening to Glennon's presser and I find myself conflicted. Yes, I want Mitch to sit for some time, work on his fundamentals and really learn the offense, but another side of me wants to see the kid play sooner than later.

If that's the case... then do I want the team to suck? I mean let's be honest, this isn't a playoff team right now -- is it? If not, then I'd rather lose a bunch of games and get another high draft pick and see what Mitch has week 14-17 (or 13-17).

Then again...

What if Glennon does well? Granted, Mitch sits for the entire season, but do we open up the competition in 2018? Do we flip Glennon immediately after the season and hand the reigns over to our #2 overall pick?

"I thought it was a stroke of genius. You give [Pace] an A++++ for the move to get Trubisky. That was magnificient." - Bill Polian

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: