Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The LB Depth Chart

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: The LB Depth Chart Reply with quote

LB [9]

Leonard Floyd
Pernell McPhee
Willie Young
​Sam Acho
Dan Skuta

Nick Kwiatowski
Jerell Freeman
Jon Timu
Danny Trevathan [PUP]/Anderson [PR]

​Christian Jones
Lamaar Houston

This group may only have 1 or 2 interesting decision and it is one of the groups that I have the most faith in. The fact that Willie Young is a primary backup in this group is something that really stands out on a team that still does not have great depth. The Bears OLBs are a strength of the defense and that is absolutely how you want it. I think Leonard Floyd made a number of us shut up last year and proved that he has a unique physical skill set for getting to the QB. He had 7.5 sacks, despite missing time, and missing 3 sacks against Jamies Winston, I really think he could be a star. McPhee is a year removed from what must have been a knee transplant and I am hoping he can play about 50% of the snaps and bring an attitude and physicality to the run game. Young should play the other 50% of snaps at that spot while playing a few for Leonard Floyd as well. It is a luxury that the Bears have 3 solid pass rushers. I think Skuta makes the team. He is cheap, knows the system, and can captain special teams. I think Acho also makes it. He is a good locker room guy, he is very good on specials, and he can play the run at an effective level. I think Houston is done, you cannot pay a guy 7 million who is always injured and who is the 4th player at a position.

Inside the Bears are in a tougher spot because I do not think that Trevathan will be back for week 1. I have faith in Nick Kwiatowski to step in and play that spot. I thought he played really well last season and with Freeman beside him he does not have to do to much. Freeman was such a great signing. The Bears got 10 million dollar ILB play for 4 million. I think Timu and Anderson make the team with whoever loses the battle going to the PR when Trevathan is healthy enough to come off PUP. Both are solid on special teams and do not look lost on defense. I prefer Anderson to Timu, as I think he is better in coverage and does not miss as many tackles.
Madmike90

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm keeping 8 LBs on the roster...

Leonard Floyd
Pernell McPhee
Willie Young
Sam Acho

Jerrell Freeman
Nick Kwiatkoski
Dan Skuta
Christian Jones until Danny Trevathan is healthy

I think this set up would give us a solid mix of talent of talent for both defence and special teams.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The LB Depth Chart Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
LB [9]

Leonard Floyd
Pernell McPhee
Willie Young
​Sam Acho
Dan Skuta

Nick Kwiatowski
Jerell Freeman
Jon Timu
Danny Trevathan [PUP]/Anderson [PR]

​Christian Jones
Lamaar Houston

This group may only have 1 or 2 interesting decision and it is one of the groups that I have the most faith in. The fact that Willie Young is a primary backup in this group is something that really stands out on a team that still does not have great depth. The Bears OLBs are a strength of the defense and that is absolutely how you want it. I think Leonard Floyd made a number of us shut up last year and proved that he has a unique physical skill set for getting to the QB. He had 7.5 sacks, despite missing time, and missing 3 sacks against Jamies Winston, I really think he could be a star. McPhee is a year removed from what must have been a knee transplant and I am hoping he can play about 50% of the snaps and bring an attitude and physicality to the run game. Young should play the other 50% of snaps at that spot while playing a few for Leonard Floyd as well. It is a luxury that the Bears have 3 solid pass rushers. I think Skuta makes the team. He is cheap, knows the system, and can captain special teams. I think Acho also makes it. He is a good locker room guy, he is very good on specials, and he can play the run at an effective level. I think Houston is done, you cannot pay a guy 7 million who is always injured and who is the 4th player at a position.

Inside the Bears are in a tougher spot because I do not think that Trevathan will be back for week 1. I have faith in Nick Kwiatowski to step in and play that spot. I thought he played really well last season and with Freeman beside him he does not have to do to much. Freeman was such a great signing. The Bears got 10 million dollar ILB play for 4 million. I think Timu and Anderson make the team with whoever loses the battle going to the PR when Trevathan is healthy enough to come off PUP. Both are solid on special teams and do not look lost on defense. I prefer Anderson to Timu, as I think he is better in coverage and does not miss as many tackles.

I disagree on Houston. He's an actual defensive starter level player (albeit not an elite one) at a position where the 3 guys ahead of him all have significant injury history. Paying him $7M isn't a big deal if he's got a role because Floyd's cap hit is only $3.5M and Young's $4.1M. Combined with McPhee the 4 of them combined have a cap hit of only about $22M which is far from terrible. Houston's presence would allow us to keep guys fresh without putting a bum out there. My gut is Skuta and Acho are competing for one spot. Neither is a guy you want taking defensive reps. All of the ILB play ST and we are gonna carry 9 or 10 DBs the non-starters of which will also play ST. I'm not terribly worried about keeping 4 OLB who won't.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: The LB Depth Chart Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
I disagree on Houston. He's an actual defensive starter level player (albeit not an elite one) at a position where the 3 guys ahead of him all have significant injury history. Paying him $7M isn't a big deal if he's got a role because Floyd's cap hit is only $3.5M and Young's $4.1M. Combined with McPhee the 4 of them combined have a cap hit of only about $22M which is far from terrible. Houston's presence would allow us to keep guys fresh without putting a bum out there. My gut is Skuta and Acho are competing for one spot. Neither is a guy you want taking defensive reps. All of the ILB play ST and we are gonna carry 9 or 10 DBs the non-starters of which will also play ST. I'm not terribly worried about keeping 4 OLB who won't.

Normally I would be all for cutting Houston, but unless there would be a surprise cut and we need to bid for a talent there is no point. He needs to be cut next year or contract needs dramatically restructured. To me he is a solid depth guy, but if he is a starter then he is the weak link of the position group. He is Garza in the OL or Ian Scott during the Super Bowl run IMO. I hope he is productive for us this year, but I think productive his 8 sack season was Wooton's "big year." He is a run stuffer to me and little more. Good he has a role, but to me he is clearly overpaid, regardless of the positional group he is part of.

I'd have rather taken a swing with Poe on a big one year deal. Injuries risk all the same, but Poe at least has elite upside and has a higher floor.

Adopt a Bear - Kyle Long (Two Season Streak)
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston doesn't play special teams.

Houston has the worst health issues out of anyone at OLB.

Over paid, injured, doesn't play special teams backup?
Sugashane

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:

The big issue is McPhee can't stay healthy and Floyd missed time too. He might get forced into a starting role at some point.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

The big issue is McPhee can't stay healthy and Floyd missed time too. He might get forced into a starting role at some point.

Right before he tears his own ACL?

In the meantime you are wasting 6 million dollars and are worse on special teams.

Going 3 deep of starting talent at OLB is probably enough.
AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

In the meantime you are wasting 6 million dollars and are worse on special teams.

Who cares how much he makes? We are $25M under the cap. Injuries are a factor for sure but let's not forget he had 8 sacks in 2015 (6 in the last 9 games once more fully removed from the 2014 ACL). You're talking about him like he's some no name camp body who's sharing his number with an offensive lineman during TC. Whether he's still the 2015 version or not remains to be seen but the cost difference between cutting him now and in late August if he shows to have nothing left is exactly zero. There is no reason at all to push him out the door, and certainly not in favor of Dan Skuta.

Yeah, Houston doesn't play ST. No debate there. But, even with Floyd/Pernell/Young/Houston rostered at OLB you still have both of our reserve ILB, Skuta and/or Acho, all of our reserve DBs, Bellamy and beyond at WR, any depth TE and our depth RB/FB to play coverage teams. They need 10 guys. Managing won't be an issue just as it hasn't been in the past. Keeping 3 starters at arguably the most important position to our defensive success because it's "probably enough" especially given the durability issues of the 3 seems incredibly short sighted, especially when it's not cost prohibitive.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one said cut him now, there is no point to cutting anyone now.

But being 25 million under the cap doesn't impact into this. The Bears won't spend all their cap room this season, but they can roll it forward into next season when they could make a big spend to support Trubisky.

6 million for an injured guy to watch games is something I would like to avoid.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
WindyCity wrote:

I was unaware Young was surely a "starting talent" anymore. He played like a badass for a few weeks, and was a ghost the other 2/3 the season.
McPhee is a starting talent for the 6-7 games he is healthy. Floyd only has played one season but has had several concussions.

3 deep on part-time starters sounds splendid really. If we are fortunate they can coordinate the games they miss so we keep having two healthy each week.

WindyCity

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston can pretty easily make the team if he is healthy and the OLBs get dinged up in camp.

Everyone healthy? My guess is he is cut.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: