Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Round 3 Pick 30 Overall 94: CB Cam Sutton 5'11 188 4.52
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@hitman - you man not have clicked on the link. it is for Senquez Golson. If health, I think he is the 2nd best talent on the field.

The only thing I have against Sutton is he will struggle with press man which is what we need with NE

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
VanS

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Read Below Reply with quote

DR43 wrote:
At 5'11 would Sutton most likely be a slot corner in the NFL? Is that his ceiling?

No. His ceiling is much higher than that. I believe he can be a shut down corner on the outside. I know most of you haven't followed Cam Sutton closely throughout his college career so let me tell ya'll something about him that you can't see by looking at combine numbers.

First of all, there are 3 reasons Cam Sutton fell to the 3rd round. (1) He was injured for most of his senior season. Going into the season there was talk he could be a first round pick. But then he got injured in the 3rd game of the season. And although he came back in 8 weeks, when he did come back, he wasn't completely healthy so he wasn't the player he was before. (2) He has short arms. In today's era of tall WRs, length has become something of a premium when it comes to CBs. Everyone is looking for tall CBs with long arms that can physically matchup with all these 6'3" 6'4" WRs coming into the NFL. Cam having short arms and only average height hurt him when it came to his draft stock. (3) Sutton only tested as an average athlete at the combine. 4.52 in the 40 and a 34 inch vertical are not bad but they are not good either. No position rises or falls more based on combine measurements than the CB position.

With that said I believe this kid can be a pro-bowl caliber CB in the NFL because he has attributes that can't be measured. For one, the kid is incredibly smart and hard-working. This guy is a film room rat. There are countless stories of him in college going around everywhere with his laptop loaded with game film studying it at all times of the day. He watches tons of film and knows not only his responsibilities but those of everyone else on the defense. If read that earlier link about what his college defensive coordinator had to say about his football intelligence, you'll see that this dedication to studying film and knowing all the responsibilities on defense was a factor in why the Steelers drafted him. Another reason I am high on Cam Sutton is the fact that he is incredible instinctive. The guy knows not only what his team is doing on defense but also what the offense is trying to do most times. This leads to him being able to break on the ball faster than other CBs. This skill was on display during senior bowl week when all the analysts on TV were complimentary of his performance during that week of practices. He was one of the top performers during the senior bowl.

While Cam Sutton might have average height and athleticism, he has elite instincts and work ethic. I believe that in a zone coverage scheme that allows a cornerback to play off coverage (which the Steelers are doing now), Cam Sutton has a chance to be a star. He knows how to read the QB and WR and break on balls. Don't be surprised if he leads the Steleers in INTs next season.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was watching some short clips of the rookie minicamp. Aside from Watt and JuJu, I didn't remember the numbers of the other draftees and none of the UDFAs. But I saw this guy, #20, and yes, it was very limited, but I thought to myself "Who's that?!" He popped off the screen with his energy and athleticism. Come to find out, it's Cam Sutton. FWIW. JMO.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: