Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Injuries and the lineup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onejayhawk

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Injuries and the lineup Reply with quote

In 2015 we did not have a large number of injuries, but they seemed to be targeted at our most important players. It forced depth to develop. In 2016 we ranked #1 among playoff teams for games lost to injury, see FBO:
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-adjusted-games-lost

For 2017 we are standing pat, largely because of cap problems but also because of the number of players returning from injury. That said, Poe is gone, JC is gone, and Howard is gone, while DJ is limited.

Discuss who is back and whether their old job is available. Who is forcing their way into the starting lineup? how will our limited FA pickups impact things?

J

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys back.

WR Jeremy Maclin - Maybe technically not injured, but he played a good part of these season with a groin issue. He was also dealing with the death of a close friend. He should be a starting WR for us this year and if healthy is still our second most consistent receiving option(behind Kelce). If he doesn't come back strong, could be a cap casualty next year as we have drafted multiple promising options the past few years. Conley, Hill, Robinson, Chesson, maybe not a big name group but they all have skills to play in Reid's offense.

OL Parker Ehinger - Hurt pretty early in the season so we didn't really get to see enough of him. Wasn't that dominant, but also didn't look overwhelmed as a rookie. Should have a good chance at starting LG, but Fulton(while not good) has shown he can at least compete and we'll have to see what this new guy Tiller has.

DL Allen Bailey - Good ole Allen Bailey, should slide right back into his LE spot. Excellent run defender and on occasion can push the pocket. No one really stands out to take the starting spot right away, although Nunez-Roches, TKO, and Jarvis Jenkins all have some promise from reserve roles.

ILB Justin March Lilliard - Still not really sure what we have in him. FO/Coaches seem to love him, but still haven't seem him on the field consistently enough to judge where slot him. I would guess he gets a shot at the 2nd ILB spot.

ILB Derrick Johnson - We all know what he is at this point. Personally I hope we just try to get by in the early part of the season, even if he is healthy. Give him some PT around week 10 but keep his snaps limited. If we like what we see and we make the playoffs hopefully he is strong down the finish.

OLB - Tamba Hali - Only listing him because he played like an injured player late in the season. What can we get with him, should we even him play him early... Similar to Johnson if he makes the roster, I would hold off on snaps early and hope he gets hot for a playoff push. Luckily Dee Ford and Justin Houston should be starting, Frank Zombo is really the only one to spell right now though (assuming Dadi is still a ways from playing again)

OLB Justin Houston - The defense needs Houston back, plain and simple. He'll be starting at OLB, the question is can he get back to what he was. Will be a big key if KC wants to have the season it wants to have.

CB Phillip Gaines - Does the offseason help him get some of his explosion back? He still has some promise, but he needs to get that twitch back. Looked like he had his deep speed back last year, but still really didn't look like the same player from his first year. He's actually the main guy I want to see in TC and preseason, if he returns some of that twitch and breaking ability I'd feel a lot better about our CB group. Terrance Mitchell should get the first go to start on the outside, but Gaines has some versatility to back up all CB's spot (just a question if he ever returns to form)

Was going to list Spencer Ware as well, as I think he really got worn down late in the season. I'm still happy with Ware as a starter, he just has a punishing running style. Hopefully Hunt and West can keep a little more healthy this year.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston, Bailey, Ehinger, and March-Lillard were the ones I was referring to. That's a big chunk of the defense. Ehinger was the starter if nothing else. I'll throw in Gaines if you like, but he was never really established.

J

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: