Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

3rd round; 96th pick.. Kenny Golladay, WR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

detroitroar wrote:
MrLionzz wrote:
Golladay was the main target at NIU whereas Darboh was not. They spread the ball around much more than they did at NIU. Had Darboh been the feature WR his numbers would have been much better. I do like the pick over Darboh though because he shows that he can produce and he wants to be an alpha a number 1. That is what we need and now that is what we have.

Just to play devils advocate...maybe Darboh would of been the feature if he we're better?

I love what Ive seen from Golladay, but I tend to like most picks.

I am pretty sure the NFL doesn't draft on stats, or situation. They draft on how your skill sets fit into what they do. I don't think Golladay is a #1 alpha as mentioned above. I think he has potential, and fits what we were looking for (red zone help) more than Darboh so he was the pick. Maybe he develops into a great #1 but I would by no means be willing to say we had one now, even if we had drafted a first round WR.
arin

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dude is faster and stronger than Mike Evans, when he came out..

Evans: 4.53 40, 12 reps, 37" vert, 7.08 3 cone, 4.26 20yd shuttle

Golladay: 4.50 40, 18 reps, 35.5" vert, 7.00 3 cone, 4.15 20yd shuttle
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arin wrote:
The dude is faster and stronger than Mike Evans, when he came out..

Evans: 4.53 40, 12 reps, 37" vert, 7.08 3 cone, 4.26 20yd shuttle

Golladay: 4.50 40, 18 reps, 35.5" vert, 7.00 3 cone, 4.15 20yd shuttle
Well, to be fair, Mike Evans was 20 when he put up those numbers. Kenny Golladay was 23 when he put up his. Players are still getting faster and stronger at those ages. If you were to have retested Mike Evans this year (he's 23 now), he would've performed much better than Kenny Golladay did.

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
MrLionzz

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golladay's downfield ability is something we have missed and it can't really be disputed that he has special ability to track the deep ball and time his jumps and high point it and he has the hands to come down with it. Marvin Jones was best when he got off coverage but when they went press he really struggled and Tate has been great but the size to play that role is better if you are Golladay's size. I think by mid-year he will be putting up good to great numbers. Stafford is going to turn this kid into a stud. Gunslingers need targets and Golladay is a nice one to aim at. Golladay for ROY.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrLionzz wrote:
Golladay's downfield ability is something we have missed and it can't really be disputed that he has special ability to track the deep ball and time his jumps and high point it and he has the hands to come down with it. Marvin Jones was best when he got off coverage but when they went press he really struggled and Tate has been great but the size to play that role is better if you are Golladay's size. I think by mid-year he will be putting up good to great numbers. Stafford is going to turn this kid into a stud. Gunslingers need targets and Golladay is a nice one to aim at. Golladay for ROY.

Let's be fair and not hold a third round pick who needs work to top 5 pick expectations. Golladay was scouted by everyone and he still lasted until the third round. And who knows how much longer he would have lasted had we not taken him. I hope he can learn how to run routes, and I hope that he can find ways to get open against better competition, but I am not expecting it right away. I hope he can contribute in the red zone, that's the key right now. That's where we lacked size and it showed. If this kid goes out and gets us 500 yards and a few touchdowns, it will be a great pick.
mijags

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" I hope that he can find ways to get open against better competition"

Same thing was said about Antonio brown, greg Jennings, randy moss, Tony scheffler......too much is made of the supposed lack of quality players in the MAC.
MrLionzz

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone can talk about all this lack of quality competition but when you really look at the league it is littered with Mac, Conference USA, and other so-called small school prospects. If you can play then you can play. I think that he will adjust just fine and by mid season he will be at or ahead of other rookie WR's.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrLionzz wrote:
Everyone can talk about all this lack of quality competition but when you really look at the league it is littered with Mac, Conference USA, and other so-called small school prospects. If you can play then you can play. I think that he will adjust just fine and by mid season he will be at or ahead of other rookie WR's.

I'm not saying he can't or won't, I'm just saying those are unfair expectations. He will have to play against bigger and faster DBs. He struggled against press coverage and getting free in college. He is a small school WR who no one was talking about pre draft as anything other than a late round pick. We saw something we liked and took him. And I hope he turns out. But to put any kind of expectations that he will be anything other than a bad 3rd WR or a decent 4th WR as a rookie is unfair to him. There is literally nothing that he has done since the draft to make people think he will adjust and be great this year. Every year there are top picks who struggle and later picks who out perform top picks. Yes there is a chance he is the later, but with were he was drafted, all we should expect or hope for is he makes the team and contributes a little.
mijags

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good in otas.....he hasn't dropped one yet and has stood out over the past two weeks
ahoda

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's looked good so far. He could be vital in our passing attack if he can take over the Boldin role.
MrLionzz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as keeping low expectations for a 3rd round rookie that is Ludacris, he was drafted into the NFL the expectations have already been set. They didn't draft him to baby him they drafted him to come in compete and progress quickly because it is the Not For Long league and the time to seize an opportunity is now. He has the desire to be great. If Jerry Rice came out today people would be talking the same about him and the competition level. He was overlooked by many teams and he was not going to last past the 3rd round. The reason some players are not talked about a lot is certain teams try to hide their infatuation with a player so other teams won't look at them as highly. Amarah Darboh was a perfect example of that. Seattle wanted him badly but never showed it because of that simple fact.
detroitroar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahoda wrote:
He's looked good so far. He could be vital in our passing attack if he can take over the Boldin role.

Yeah particularly in the red-zone.

2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Joe Lombardi
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: James Ihedigbo
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlitzKarma wrote:
I hated this pick because I think there were RB's and DE's that were better and more of a need with this pick. But, the more I learn about Kenny G, the more I like him. I hope he turns out to be great.

Kenny G is already a great American saxophonist.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrLionzz wrote:
As far as keeping low expectations for a 3rd round rookie that is Ludacris, he was drafted into the NFL the expectations have already been set. They didn't draft him to baby him they drafted him to come in compete and progress quickly because it is the Not For Long league and the time to seize an opportunity is now. He has the desire to be great. If Jerry Rice came out today people would be talking the same about him and the competition level. He was overlooked by many teams and he was not going to last past the 3rd round. The reason some players are not talked about a lot is certain teams try to hide their infatuation with a player so other teams won't look at them as highly. Amarah Darboh was a perfect example of that. Seattle wanted him badly but never showed it because of that simple fact.

Jerry Rice was a first round pick. As is Cory Davis this year and no one is saying it about him because he has the athleticism and skill set to be a top pick. Golliday is a third round pick for a reason. As a third round pick he is pretty much expected to make the team and compete for snaps. Teams don't draft people expecting them to be stars immediately, especially outside of the top 10. I get hoping people do well right away but it's rare. I have seen a few names thrown out in this thread of small school late round picks that are stars and even those guys didn't blow the league away instantly. Antonio Brown had 16 catches for 160 yards his first year. Titus young and Derrick Williams never turned out. Having high expectations of any rookie is crazy. They are drafted to help long term, even in the "Not For Long" league.

And what does Darboh have to do with anything? He has low expectations too, and would have low expectations if he were here as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: