Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Packers Sign OG Jahri Evans
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
fattlipp


Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 1197
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
He's 33 , he's at the end and may want a ring, no one is going to offer him more than 4-5m/yr IMO.


You might be right. But why wouldn't he go to a team with a more clear cut path to a starting spot?


I bet if Nick came here, he feels like he could beat out one of Taylor, Linsley or Evans.

Might have an interest with OSU ties and a chance at s Super Bowl.

A 2y/7m with 2 guaranteed would make sense and protect us if Linsley, Evans and Linsley leave next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TransientTexan


Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 565
Location: Connecticut
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fattlipp wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
Bring in Mangold for 1-2 years, better than Barclay....
Tell him he can compete for starting spot, and if not he backs up all 3 interior positions.....OL is set.


Why would Mangold sign that deal unless you pay him big $$$? He could easily sign on with a team like the Saints right now that had their starting center go down, and make both solid money, and continue playing.

This isn't madden. Just because we might want a player, doesn't mean the player wants us.


He's 33 , he's at the end and may want a ring, no one is going to offer him more than 4-5m/yr IMO.


He still might not be willing to play for that, even if no one else offers him more. Trent Cole said something to that effect when discussing his own retirement. Playing an nfl season is very physically and mentally demanding on the body and some guys may have a $ number in mind that they they won't go below to keep playing. Especially if they already have enough money to be set for life.

http://sportsnaut.com/2017/02/former-pro-bowler-trent-cole-retire-not-offered-enough-money/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fattlipp


Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 1197
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransientTexan wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
blankman0021 wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
Bring in Mangold for 1-2 years, better than Barclay....
Tell him he can compete for starting spot, and if not he backs up all 3 interior positions.....OL is set.


Why would Mangold sign that deal unless you pay him big $$$? He could easily sign on with a team like the Saints right now that had their starting center go down, and make both solid money, and continue playing.

This isn't madden. Just because we might want a player, doesn't mean the player wants us.


He's 33 , he's at the end and may want a ring, no one is going to offer him more than 4-5m/yr IMO.



Doesn't hurt to pick up the phone IMO,


He still might not be willing to play for that, even if no one else offers him more. Trent Cole said something to that effect when discussing his own retirement. Playing an nfl season is very physically and mentally demanding on the body and some guys may have a $ number in mind that they they won't go below to keep playing. Especially if they already have enough money to be set for life.

http://sportsnaut.com/2017/02/former-pro-bowler-trent-cole-retire-not-offered-enough-money/


That's true, but a lot of players also take less to ride off into the sunset with a ring and go out on top. Retiring a champion has to be worth 2m to a guy like Nick
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TransientTexan


Joined: 27 Jul 2014
Posts: 565
Location: Connecticut
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fattlipp wrote:


That's true, but a lot of players also take less to ride off into the sunset with a ring and go out on top. Retiring a champion has to be worth 2m to a guy like Nick


Maybe. Everybody's different. At any rate, I'm sure the management will do their due diligence on anybody they might want.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shanedorf


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 1565
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fattlipp wrote:

That's true, but a lot of players also take less to ride off into the sunset with a ring and go out on top. Retiring a champion has to be worth 2m to a guy like Nick

Do you have that list in front of you ?

Vegas says his chances are 12:1 to win a Title in GB in 2017
That translates into a paltry 8.33 % chance of success ( a ring) and a 91.67 % chance of coming up short.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

Remind me again why he would choose: less guaranteed cash and no guarantee of a winning the starters role .... Cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shanedorf


Joined: 18 Mar 2014
Posts: 1565
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cadmus wrote:


We can sign 1 more Qualifying UFA to a contract worth up to 3.6 Million in 2017 (with the guys who are left on the market it should be much less than that) and still receive our 4 highest (remaining) compensatory picks.

Any Qualifying UFA we sign would cancel out the departure of Datone Jones.


May 9th is the next date on the NFL FA calendar

https://overthecap.com/2018-compensatory-picks-primer/

"A UFA must sign a contract before May 9 in order to qualify as a CFA.
This date used to be June 1, but two years ago it was bumped up to the second Tuesday after the draft. This year, that is May 9
Teams that want to sign low level UFAs without having them count against their CFAs gained may wait until after May 9 to do so."


The highest round DeMarcus Ware, Andrew Whitworth, Julius Peppers, Lawrence Timmons and Lorenzo Alexander can be valued at is the 5th round
This is due to the Alan Faneca rule that declares that any CFA with ten or more accrued seasons may be valued no higher than a 5th rounder. "

.
Man, some of these rules are so convoluted...thx for the effort Cadmus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
palmy50


Joined: 26 Nov 2006
Posts: 15462
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took a 400rep(100 in each quarter of the season) look at Evans and came away a little shocked by his play last year. Like many vets(see Sitton) Evans clearly lost a lot of weight since the last time I looked at him and is moving much better because of it. Pretty good sign here in my opinion. Evans is NOT the player he was. But he'll bring his hard hat to work every day and will never be the reason ya lost a game.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gizmo2012


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 3160
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmy50 wrote:
Took a 400rep(100 in each quarter of the season) look at Evans and came away a little shocked by his play last year. Like many vets(see Sitton) Evans clearly lost a lot of weight since the last time I looked at him and is moving much better because of it. Pretty good sign here in my opinion. Evans is NOT the player he was. But he'll bring his hard hat to work every day and will never be the reason ya lost a game.


Maybe the question is right now - is Evans better then Barclay and Patrick, or the rookie or Murphy perhaps. I doubt TT would have signed him if he didn't think Evans was better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fattlipp


Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 1197
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shanedorf wrote:
fattlipp wrote:

That's true, but a lot of players also take less to ride off into the sunset with a ring and go out on top. Retiring a champion has to be worth 2m to a guy like Nick

Do you have that list in front of you ?

Vegas says his chances are 12:1 to win a Title in GB in 2017
That translates into a paltry 8.33 % chance of success ( a ring) and a 91.67 % chance of coming up short.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

Remind me again why he would choose: less guaranteed cash and no guarantee of a winning the starters role .... Cool


Hmm just off the top of my head

Packers
Seth Joyner
Andre Rison
Eugene Robinson
Sean Jones
Santana Dotson

Pats
Moss
Bennett
Blount
Long
Dillon
Welker

any coach would be an idiot to guarantee a starting role to a player.

what if Carroll guaranteed Eddy a starting role, then he came in 290 lbs.
too bad Seahawks fans, Jared Lorenzen is your new starting RB.

Right now Mangold is unemployed, 2yr/7m is still a lot of money, hes kinda in the same boat as Evans...and playing for the Packers vs the Jets or Saints has to be a quality of life improvement.

Unless you throw Nick in the group of players that feel making it rain at clubs and sunshine has a higher value than winning.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NormSizedMidget


Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 17905
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fattlipp wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
fattlipp wrote:

That's true, but a lot of players also take less to ride off into the sunset with a ring and go out on top. Retiring a champion has to be worth 2m to a guy like Nick

Do you have that list in front of you ?

Vegas says his chances are 12:1 to win a Title in GB in 2017
That translates into a paltry 8.33 % chance of success ( a ring) and a 91.67 % chance of coming up short.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

Remind me again why he would choose: less guaranteed cash and no guarantee of a winning the starters role .... Cool


Hmm just off the top of my head

Packers
Seth Joyner
Andre Rison
Eugene Robinson
Sean Jones
Santana Dotson

Pats
Moss
Bennett
Blount
Long
Dillon
Welker

any coach would be an idiot to guarantee a starting role to a player.

what if Carroll guaranteed Eddy a starting role, then he came in 290 lbs.
too bad Seahawks fans, Jared Lorenzen is your new starting RB.

Right now Mangold is unemployed, 2yr/7m is still a lot of money, hes kinda in the same boat as Evans...and playing for the Packers vs the Jets or Saints has to be a quality of life improvement.

Unless you throw Nick in the group of players that feel making it rain at clubs and sunshine has a higher value than winning.


Lol....you still said it like it was matter of fact that he would sign to win a title for less. Obviously. But that's the farthest thing from a guarantee.

I think half of those guys on your list are bull [inappropriate/removed] anyways. But you love to believe old vets are what wins you titles. So it's not like you can be convinced otherwise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
fattlipp


Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 1197
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
fattlipp wrote:

That's true, but a lot of players also take less to ride off into the sunset with a ring and go out on top. Retiring a champion has to be worth 2m to a guy like Nick

Do you have that list in front of you ?

Vegas says his chances are 12:1 to win a Title in GB in 2017
That translates into a paltry 8.33 % chance of success ( a ring) and a 91.67 % chance of coming up short.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

Remind me again why he would choose: less guaranteed cash and no guarantee of a winning the starters role .... Cool


Hmm just off the top of my head

Packers
Seth Joyner
Andre Rison
Eugene Robinson
Sean Jones
Santana Dotson

Pats
Moss
Bennett
Blount
Long
Dillon
Welker

any coach would be an idiot to guarantee a starting role to a player.

what if Carroll guaranteed Eddy a starting role, then he came in 290 lbs.
too bad Seahawks fans, Jared Lorenzen is your new starting RB.

Right now Mangold is unemployed, 2yr/7m is still a lot of money, hes kinda in the same boat as Evans...and playing for the Packers vs the Jets or Saints has to be a quality of life improvement.

Unless you throw Nick in the group of players that feel making it rain at clubs and sunshine has a higher value than winning.


Lol....you still said it like it was matter of fact that he would sign to win a title for less. Obviously. But that's the farthest thing from a guarantee.

I think half of those guys on your list are bull [inappropriate/removed] anyways. But you love to believe old vets are what wins you titles. So it's not like you can be convinced otherwise.


I'm not an advocate of old vets at all, but a 2yr contract for Mangold makes a lot of sense. Zach Brown was not old..
We are an injury away from Barclay starting.
Next year we could lose our starting 3 interior lineman in free agency.

Do you think Bennett could have got more from the Browns or Jags?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NormSizedMidget


Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 17905
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fattlipp wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
fattlipp wrote:

That's true, but a lot of players also take less to ride off into the sunset with a ring and go out on top. Retiring a champion has to be worth 2m to a guy like Nick

Do you have that list in front of you ?

Vegas says his chances are 12:1 to win a Title in GB in 2017
That translates into a paltry 8.33 % chance of success ( a ring) and a 91.67 % chance of coming up short.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

Remind me again why he would choose: less guaranteed cash and no guarantee of a winning the starters role .... Cool


Hmm just off the top of my head

Packers
Seth Joyner
Andre Rison
Eugene Robinson
Sean Jones
Santana Dotson

Pats
Moss
Bennett
Blount
Long
Dillon
Welker

any coach would be an idiot to guarantee a starting role to a player.

what if Carroll guaranteed Eddy a starting role, then he came in 290 lbs.
too bad Seahawks fans, Jared Lorenzen is your new starting RB.

Right now Mangold is unemployed, 2yr/7m is still a lot of money, hes kinda in the same boat as Evans...and playing for the Packers vs the Jets or Saints has to be a quality of life improvement.

Unless you throw Nick in the group of players that feel making it rain at clubs and sunshine has a higher value than winning.


Lol....you still said it like it was matter of fact that he would sign to win a title for less. Obviously. But that's the farthest thing from a guarantee.

I think half of those guys on your list are bull [inappropriate/removed] anyways. But you love to believe old vets are what wins you titles. So it's not like you can be convinced otherwise.


I'm not an advocate of old vets at all, but a 2yr contract for Mangold makes a lot of sense. Zach Brown was not old..
We are an injury away from Barclay starting.
Next year we could lose our starting 3 interior lineman in free agency.

Do you think Bennett could have got more from the Browns or Jags?


You used Bennett on your list of pats guys and you're talking about guys taking less for a ring.

They traded for him and then let him walk.

That's not the only issue with that list but my lunch break is almost over. You padded the hell out of it to prove your point which isn't near as true as it sounds in theory. It sounds all great in your mind. That doesn't mean it's as prevalent as you pretend.

It makes a lot of sense for us. Hey solid old vet. Take a little money to 50/50 start. And up have a 10% chance at a ring you might not even really take a part in.

Well I'm sold Ted. Sign me up. Okay thanks Nick.

Doesn't sound as nice that way...

Id one thousand percent sign him to the deal you are suggesting. If that's not clear. Doesn't mean he would.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
JBURGE25


Joined: 25 Jan 2012
Posts: 18554
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gizmo2012 wrote:
palmy50 wrote:
Took a 400rep(100 in each quarter of the season) look at Evans and came away a little shocked by his play last year. Like many vets(see Sitton) Evans clearly lost a lot of weight since the last time I looked at him and is moving much better because of it. Pretty good sign here in my opinion. Evans is NOT the player he was. But he'll bring his hard hat to work every day and will never be the reason ya lost a game.


Maybe the question is right now - is Evans better then Barclay and Patrick, or the rookie or Murphy perhaps. I doubt TT would have signed him if he didn't think Evans was better.
There ya go. Evans started on an NFL team last year.
_________________

FF Big Brother III Winner Cool
[sig by El ramster]
blueswedeshoes wrote:
JBURGE25 wrote:
I don't hunt
So I gathered.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
fattlipp


Joined: 12 Jan 2005
Posts: 1197
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NormSizedMidget wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
NormSizedMidget wrote:
fattlipp wrote:
Shanedorf wrote:
fattlipp wrote:

That's true, but a lot of players also take less to ride off into the sunset with a ring and go out on top. Retiring a champion has to be worth 2m to a guy like Nick

Do you have that list in front of you ?

Vegas says his chances are 12:1 to win a Title in GB in 2017
That translates into a paltry 8.33 % chance of success ( a ring) and a 91.67 % chance of coming up short.
http://www.vegasinsider.com/nfl/odds/futures/

Remind me again why he would choose: less guaranteed cash and no guarantee of a winning the starters role .... Cool


Hmm just off the top of my head

Packers
Seth Joyner
Andre Rison
Eugene Robinson
Sean Jones
Santana Dotson

Pats
Moss
Bennett
Blount
Long
Dillon
Welker

any coach would be an idiot to guarantee a starting role to a player.

what if Carroll guaranteed Eddy a starting role, then he came in 290 lbs.
too bad Seahawks fans, Jared Lorenzen is your new starting RB.

Right now Mangold is unemployed, 2yr/7m is still a lot of money, hes kinda in the same boat as Evans...and playing for the Packers vs the Jets or Saints has to be a quality of life improvement.

Unless you throw Nick in the group of players that feel making it rain at clubs and sunshine has a higher value than winning.


Lol....you still said it like it was matter of fact that he would sign to win a title for less. Obviously. But that's the farthest thing from a guarantee.

I think half of those guys on your list are bull [inappropriate/removed] anyways. But you love to believe old vets are what wins you titles. So it's not like you can be convinced otherwise.


I'm not an advocate of old vets at all, but a 2yr contract for Mangold makes a lot of sense. Zach Brown was not old..
We are an injury away from Barclay starting.
Next year we could lose our starting 3 interior lineman in free agency.

Do you think Bennett could have got more from the Browns or Jags?


You used Bennett on your list of pats guys and you're talking about guys taking less for a ring.

They traded for him and then let him walk.

That's not the only issue with that list but my lunch break is almost over. You padded the hell out of it to prove your point which isn't near as true as it sounds in theory. It sounds all great in your mind. That doesn't mean it's as prevalent as you pretend.

It makes a lot of sense for us. Hey solid old vet. Take a little money to 50/50 start. And up have a 10% chance at a ring you might not even really take a part in.

Well I'm sold Ted. Sign me up. Okay thanks Nick.

Doesn't sound as nice that way...

Id one thousand percent sign him to the deal you are suggesting. If that's not clear. Doesn't mean he would.


Even without a contenders discount, the projections I see out there are from
1yr/3m (no guar) to 2yr/7m (3 guar)
that's not breaking the bank, and he wouldn't count vs comp picks.

I mean look what Evans got, they are comparable players, except Nick can play Center.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group