Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Giants select Evan Engram with 23rd Pick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minutemancl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApeDosMatt wrote:
I love it if Flowers can magically progress and Eli gets he ball out quick this offense will put up points. Who needs a run game with these receiverss Laughing

It might be a situation where the threat of the passing game opens up the running game, as opposed to it normally being the opposite. Teams won't have many guys in the box if every down we are in 11 personnel with Engram, Vereen, Marshall, OBJ, and Shepard on the field. Shotgun draws may actually start to work. Laughing

1st yr head coaches rarely see success their 1st yr, if at all.
ApeDosMatt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a wonderful day that would be
bucsEST96

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the fence about Engram until Shannon Sharpe expressed how he reminds him of himself drafted as a true F/TE. Sharpe seems to love the guy. Sharpe himself was drafted as simply an athlete.
New LT [ ]
Micha Hyde[ ]
Dontrelle Inman [ ]
Calais Campbell [ ]
Malcolm Smith [ ]
Mike Gillislee[ ]
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about this pick the more I realize it was a major steal. He's prob the second best playmaker in this draft on offense (McCaffrey). If he entered as a WR he's most likely a top 10 pick tbh.
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think we will convert him to a WR since Marshall will probably only play one year for us..I can see us labeling him as a WR in a year or two instead of TE.

w4rrior723 wrote:
The more I think about this pick the more I realize it was a major steal. He's prob the second best playmaker in this draft on offense (McCaffrey). If he entered as a WR he's most likely a top 10 pick tbh.
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiscoBlue21 wrote:
Do you think we will convert him to a WR since Marshall will probably only play one year for us..I can see us labeling him as a WR in a year or two instead of TE.

w4rrior723 wrote:

That depends on many variables. How does Engram perform his rookie reason? What are our options are TE? What are our options at WR? If he produces at TE and we have no other real options there, no reason to move him to WR. But if another TE steps up or a nice one falls into our hands, then it could be good to move him out wide. Or maybe they'd run a lot of 2 TE sets like New England .Sounds like they're going to be moving him all around to begin with, anyway. Either way, he's a dynamic and versatile player that should allow this offense to open up quite a bit.
Jlash

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the good thing about Engram is no matter where you put him, he's got an advantage.

Line him up at TE, and even though he's only a hair over 230 he's going to blow by any LB or S that tries to cover him.

Put him in the slot, and not only is he just too big, his speed is a match for most CB's in the league as well.

The issue playing him at TE is going to be when it comes to the run game, is he going to struggle there? You can see he gives plenty of effort in his college games, he just struggles to get push.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be on board with converting him to WR. The mismatches he creates at TE would far outweight the advantages he would create on the outside. Get his blocking up to par and use him to abuse linebackers like other teams do to your defense week in and out. It's been so long since we had a stud TE.

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockey1979 wrote:
I wouldn't be on board with converting him to WR. The mismatches he creates at TE would far outweight the advantages he would create on the outside. Get his blocking up to par and use him to abuse linebackers like other teams do to your defense week in and out. It's been so long since we had a stud TE.

I agree I'd rather have him at TE since A. He's a major mismatch and B. He's more experienced there. But he has the size, athleticism, and agility to dominate at WR like Mike Evans or even Marshall. But unless we have another threat to put at TE, it makes no sense to take him out of that position. But just imagine the mismatches if we teamed him up with a Martellus Bennet type of TE. Come out in 2TE sets then you have the option to motion Engram into the slot depending on what look the D gives.

Just super excited about this kid!
njLawman5016

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really excited about what he brings to the table. I do not think he will be ROY or have mind blowing numbers.

I think what he does by simply being on the field: reducing coverage for OBJ, or have a LB follow him up the seam to open a running lane will be just as valuable as any other stat.

Although I must also admit, I can see him running that WR screen from a trips formation behind a lead blocker of Marshall.... Exciting.. That should go for 10 yards every time.
WiscoBlue21

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't why people don't think this guy can excel, he has almost identical measurements as Jordan Reed except he's 10-12 pounds lighter which he will get quickly by being in a pro weight room.

njLawman5016 wrote:
I am really excited about what he brings to the table. I do not think he will be ROY or have mind blowing numbers.

I think what he does by simply being on the field: reducing coverage for OBJ, or have a LB follow him up the seam to open a running lane will be just as valuable as any other stat.

Although I must also admit, I can see him running that WR screen from a trips formation behind a lead blocker of Marshall.... Exciting.. That should go for 10 yards every time.
Jlash

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiscoBlue21 wrote:
I don't why people don't think this guy can excel, he has almost identical measurements as Jordan Reed except he's 10-12 pounds lighter which he will get quickly by being in a pro weight room.

Never mind that fact that at 234 he runs a hair quicker than Beckham in the 40. I hate the Giants and even I'm excited to see what this guy can do, save for twice a year against us.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiscoBlue21 wrote:

njLawman5016 wrote:

I was saying that I am excited that he will do well. Even if he does not have mind blowing numbers (like reed), what he brings to the table will count more.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
Shockey1979 wrote:

I agree I'd rather have him at TE since A. He's a major mismatch and B. He's more experienced there. But he has the size, athleticism, and agility to dominate at WR like Mike Evans or even Marshall. But unless we have another threat to put at TE, it makes no sense to take him out of that position. But just imagine the mismatches if we teamed him up with a Martellus Bennet type of TE. Come out in 2TE sets then you have the option to motion Engram into the slot depending on what look the D gives.

Just super excited about this kid!

Yeah I like him at TE even with another TE. I would love to pair him with a more balanced/traditional TE. I think two TE sets with OBJ would work out nice. Plus, young QBs love their run game and TE and it takes TE a few years to transition(generally). Troy Fummagali from Wisconsin looks the part and has a fun name lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: