Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hypothetical QB Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Left_Side!

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Hypothetical QB Question Reply with quote

Try to have some fun with this....

Lets say your team has the 1st and 2nd picks overall in the upcoming draft and you are desperate for a QB. Your coaches and scouts absolutely love the top two prospects but everyone in the decision making process is split on who to take. Think of it like the Peyton Manning and Ryan Leaf year or even the Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers year.

Your Owner, GM, and head coach sit down one night to discuss and someone mentions the idea of "Hey why don't we just take both?" Your head coach is a good offensive minded guy and has a great staff to work with QBs.

Would you be in favor of the idea of "playing the odds" and taking both hoping to hit on at least one of them, if not both and could possibly trade one down the road. Or would this never work? Would it cause friction between them and possibly be too much of a distraction for either to ever reach their full potential? Salary cap problems?
DalCowboyzRule

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way. You take one of them, and if the 2nd QB is as highly regarded you trade the #2 pick and get a haul back.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont think there would be friction but only 1 guy can see the field. 9 times out of 10 you arent going to develop a guy purely on the bench and in practice. you're never going to see true improvement by both guys if only one gets play time. and if you split the playtime, it just makes things worse.

if you're split on the 2, you take one and hope he's the guy and use the other pick to build a team around him.
PossibleCabbage

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the only way you would even consider it is if one of the top two QBs is a guy who is a once-in-a-generation freak type athlete who could conceivably give you high end production at another position.

But more likely you'd just pick the guy you like best and trade the other pick for more than what you'd get from making it.
Crickett

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not.

If you're convinced both will be franchise quarterbacks, you can take either one and draft someone at another position. Or even better, if you really like both quarterbacks, trade the number one pick for a king's ransom and then draft whichever QB isn't selected #1. And I mean a king's ransom. Work out a trade for the number two pick and then at the last minute tell the team you're trying to trade with that for an extra future first or extra second, you'd be willing to trade the number one pick instead of the second. If you have two top two picks, so you certainly need more help than just a quarterback.

If you're convinced they won't both be franchise quarterbacks, you either take the one you think will be or if you're not sold on either, you don't want to waste two top two picks on quarterbacks you're not convinced will be franchise quarterbacks.

The funny thing is, the only example I know of where a front office was publicly split in such a way over which quarterback to take was the Titans in 2006. As it turned out, neither QB was the right answer. They were both busts.

I could understand a team doing something like what Washington did where you drafted RG3 and then took Kirk Cousins later on. But I can't envision drafting two QB's in the top two like that.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No 2 QB prospects ever carry the exact same rating, one is always rated at least a bit higher than the other.

You would absolutely never draft both of them, you would simply draft the higher rated one, or if he did not suit your team's system, then take the QB who would be the better fit, provided they are close to equal in ranking, otherwise, you always take the top rated one and change your system to suit him.
Forge

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crickett wrote:
Absolutely not.

If you're convinced both will be franchise quarterbacks, you can take either one and draft someone at another position. Or even better, if you really like both quarterbacks, trade the number one pick for a king's ransom and then draft whichever QB isn't selected #1. And I mean a king's ransom. Work out a trade for the number two pick and then at the last minute tell the team you're trying to trade with that for an extra future first or extra second, you'd be willing to trade the number one pick instead of the second. If you have two top two picks, so you certainly need more help than just a quarterback.

If you're convinced they won't both be franchise quarterbacks, you either take the one you think will be or if you're not sold on either, you don't want to waste two top two picks on quarterbacks you're not convinced will be franchise quarterbacks.

The funny thing is, the only example I know of where a front office was publicly split in such a way over which quarterback to take was the Titans in 2006. As it turned out, neither QB was the right answer. They were both busts.

I could understand a team doing something like what Washington did where you drafted RG3 and then took Kirk Cousins later on. But I can't envision drafting two QB's in the top two like that.

I definitely have no problem with the 1st / 4th round double dip, but I actually advocated the 1st round double dip a few years ago for Cleveland, but that's probably the only time I have done that. I thought that they should take 2 out of the Carr / Bortles / Bridgewater grouping and just roll with it. One pick was top 10 while the other was in the 20's, so I didnt think it was a huge deal f they used both picks on quarterbacks especially since there was a lot of splits on the quarterbacks. Getting it right at that position is that important.

I agree in this situation that you take the one you feel is better and then ransom off the other one for a treasure trove. The best thing that you can do for your young quarterback is improve the team around him, and making that deal would give you a big leg up on potentially making that happen.

Stupid NFL coaches and their need to reach for quarterbacks....
jetskid007

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really comes down to being honest with the evaluation of the prospects and your own team. In almost all scenarios I'd say absolutely not, but I'll offer one where it could make sense.

If a team like New England somehow acquired picks #1 and #2 from prior trades and they absolutely loved the top two QBs, why not? Unorthodox yes, but chances are they're going to be a good team regardless. You know one of them will be Brady's successor and if they played their cards right they could trade the other for king's ransom. Knowing Belichick, he'd probably have the one they like less as the 2nd string just to increase his value...

So why would it make sense? For one, the team is largely built on veterans, so down the line they'll need to replace those guys with many draft picks. So figure you spend the #2 pick on a QB, you could be talking multiple future 1st and 2nd round picks the following season. Two, you net Brady's successor. Essentially, your investing in two QBs now for a QBOTF and multiple draft picks later.

Again, this is a highly unlikely scenario, but it is one where I would say that selecting two QBs would be more reasonable than most.
tom cody

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you draft just the 1 qb and address other team needs with the 2nd pick or trade down to gain picks.

Courtesy of an online joke search.
Broncofan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
Nope, you draft just the 1 qb and address other team needs with the 2nd pick or trade down to gain picks.

And if there are 2 guys who are that good....there's a team who will pay a ransom. Teams paid a ransom for guys where the ceiling isn't even clear yet if they're franchise guys the last 2 years. That doesn't mean they will be a lock to be franchise guys - but if you are convinced, a team will move up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: